What is the Holy Spirit?

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Corvus
Guru

What is the Holy Spirit?

Post #1

Post by Corvus »

I would like to know what the Holy Spirit is and what is its function. It's fairly clear what Jesus does and what purpose he fulfills, yet the Holy Spirit is something I only know of as a vague thing that descends on people, without a personality or nature to speak of.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Re: What is the Holy Spirit?

Post #31

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

Corvus wrote:I would like to know what the Holy Spirit is and what is its function. It's fairly clear what Jesus does and what purpose he fulfills, yet the Holy Spirit is something I only know of as a vague thing that descends on people, without a personality or nature to speak of.
To understand what it is and what it does
You should know that the HS splays a crucial role in every Christian's life. At the moment we believed in Christ as Savior, the Spirit gave us new birth (john 3:3), came to live in us (john 14:17), baptized us into the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13), and sealed us to guarantee our future with Christ ( Ephesians 1:13-14)

For Christians this is what the H.S. does

He comforts us (john 14:16
He teaches us(john 14:26
He guides us into truth (John 15:13
He gives us the power of Christs life (Romans 8:11
He gives us victory over sin (Romans 8:13
He leads us to live righteous (Romans 8:14
He bears witness that we are Gods children (Romans 8:16
He intercedes for us with God (Romans 8:26
He gives us spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:11
He bears spiritual fruit in our lives (Galatians 5:22-23
He fills us with his power or character (Ephesians 5:18

In short the holy spirit is Christs presence and power in us. He gives us every advantage of intimate fellowship with God. That fellowship can be interrupted if we grieve the Spirit with our sin (Ephesians 4:30) or quench the Spirit by suppressing His expression in Others (1 Thessa. 5:19)

hope this answers it enough

WhiteLion

Post #32

Post by WhiteLion »

The Holy Spirit is the third person of the blessed trinity, also known as the paraclete, and the advocate. In Islam, I believe the hidden imam, whom many muslems are waiting for to redeem the world and bring about justice, is one and the same. The Holy Spirit is a devine being, one with God and Jesus, yet separate and unique, like an oak with two stong branches, fed from one trunk.

Logomachist
Student

Wisdom, for the Jews, was a precursor of the Holy Spirit

Post #33

Post by Logomachist »

BeHereNow wrote: To my knowledge Jews do not have an acceptance of any Holy Spirit distinct from god.
They hypostatized elements of Yahweh (such as Wisdom) which served as a precursor to the Holy Spirit. This is apparent in the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Kabbalah among other places.

Mikeymike19912010
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Mikeymike19912010 »

Corvus wrote:I would like to know what the Holy Spirit is and what is its function. It's fairly clear what Jesus does and what purpose he fulfills, yet the Holy Spirit is something I only know of as a vague thing that descends on people, without a personality or nature to speak of.
It's time to lift the veil of misunderstanding and expose these spurious fraudsters and provide the truth to the people who want to be proper, untainted Christians. Now I don't want to derogate or upset anyone but rather be academically correct in what we know to be impartially true! And everybody deserves the truth! Orthodox Christianity and catholicism is false and are plagiarised counterfeits masquerading as Gods servants,  their travesty teaches Jesus died on a cross, this is actually a pagan adaptation mocking Christianity and is totally false. The cross is a pagan astrological symbol and was used by pagans long before Christians and was adopted from  the  pagan star constellation "crux" and also appears in the centre of the zodiac as the solstices and equinoxes affirming this is a pagan derivative as it long predates christ. No where in the Torah, the Writings, or New Covenant is it even suggested that a cross should be observed, let alone worn; it is a form of PAGANISM.  To have or to observe and bear a cross is to elevate paganism above YHVH (יְהֹוָה)  (Jehovah) who commands us not to put any other god before him. Would you hang a replica or an image of an instrument from your neck if your child or loved one was killed by it? I would hope not. What purpose would it serve? This is actually an insidious way to get people inadvertently worshiping Satan .Jesus actually died on a torture steak as the original gospels written in Greek used the word "stauros" to refer to the structure used for his execution. This word means a vertical pole with no crossbar. So Jesus may have been hung on a tree (Acts 5:30) (1 Peter 2:24) And can a religion that participates in pagan festivals like Christmas(originally Saturnalia) halloween(Samhain) and Easter really be Christian ? Jesus birthday is no were to be seen in the bible! And it certainly doesn't mention anything about celebrating his resurrection either, these are all man made celebrations invented for selfish desires and was blended into Christianity by a roman emperor named "Constantine" in around 325AD in an attempt to make Christianity more acceptable to Pagans. Take a look at the pope and all his other pagan occult symbols like horus, the pagan sun god represented on his staff, the satanic hand gesture he uses,(The "El Diablo) where as the middle finger and ring finger are clenched leaving the pinky and index erect resembling devil horns, This gesture is the Satanic salute, a sign of recognition and allegiance between members of Satanism or other unholy groups and is an excerpt from the "Satanic Bible. He also wears the fish hat referring to Dagon the pagan fish God as worn by Nimrod king of Babylon. Moreover the Vatican's believe in the trinity (defined as "consisting of three parts") which again has lucifirian references due to the fact that three is a very significant number in the occult with it being "the Magic Number" and everybody knows that magic associates itself with sorcery and  witchcraft. Furthermore the number three is represented geo metrically in a triangle which resembles a pyramid and any scholar knows that a pyramid is a satanic emblem of the illuminati occult.  The most refined Christians are the Jehovahs Witnesses hence the word Jehovah ,which is Gods name, father of Jesus, their version of events are most accurate and there is no evidence of pagan tradition or symbols amongst any of their doctrine or customs and has been filtered of any corruption. The pagans, Freemasons ( illuminati), with them being Gods adversary infiltrated the churches and deliberately altered the scriptures removing Gods name in an attempt to deceive and prevent people from forming a close relationship with Jehovah, the true God, they also try to confuse people into thinking Jesus was God but he wasn't he was the son of Jehovah sent as ransom to redeem our sins .Now if we think about it does it make sense for Jesus to pray to himself and remain obedient to himself? Is so then why would he use the pronouns in second person perspective as in "your" instead of "mine"  This suggests he is talking about a separate entity.Jesus never refers to himself as equal to God or describes himself as God and always gives the glory to his father! Would Jehovah really try and confuse his people with such a contradictory concept? 
Also religion that removes and fails to use Gods name and depicts Jesus with long hair cannot be Christian or holy at all as all these things are contrary to the scriptures and everyone knows that the lords prayer said to let his name be sanctified or hallowed be thy name so how can we do this if they keep his name secret by removing it from the scriptures? They have replaced it with Lord which doesn't make sense in many of the contexts as Lord And God are titles not Names , Jehovah gave his name so we could identify him and distinguish him apart from Satan because Satan is also a Lord and a god  and After-all you can't  truly know, or develop an intimate relationship with someone until you exchange names.
Does this not arouse curious suspicion? because it should!
Supporting scriptures:
Jeremiah 23:27
They are thinking of making my people forget my name by means of THEIR dreams that they keep relating each one to the other just as their father forgot my name by means of ba'al
Corinthians 11 :14 
Does not nature its self teach you that if a man has long hair , it is a dishonour to him;
John 17:26 
And I have made your name known to them and will make it known,
Psalm 83:18
That people my know that you whose name is Jehovah.
Psalms 105:3
Make your boast in his holy Name
John 6:38 Because I have come down from heaven to do, not my will but the will of him that sent me 
John 7:16
Exodus 6:3
isiah 26:4
Isiah 12:2
Genesis 22:14
Exodus 17:15
Ex. 20:7

Mikeymike19912010
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by Mikeymike19912010 »

Holy spirit is energetic vibrational power force bestowed on individuals who make earnest supplication to Jehovah God (YHVH) (יְהֹוָה) acting as a protective guidance