Burden of Proof

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Burden of Proof

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Keith Lehrer has stated that "generally arguments about where the burden of proof lies are unproductive. [...] In philosophy a different principle of agnoiology [the study of ignorance] is appropriate, to wit, that no hypothesis should be rejected as unjustified without argument against it. Consequently, if the skeptic puts forth a hypothesis inconsistent with the hypothesis of common sense, then there is no burden of proof on either side …"

In debate, the burden of proof is always on the person asserting something. That is to say, if you make an assertion then you are responsible for supporting that assertion with evidence. You cannot get away with, "well, it cannot be disproven."
John Scott wrote:Whenever a person offers a proposition, the person offering the proposition has the burden of proof. If I, as an agnostic, say “we cannot know whether gods exist”, then the burden of proof is on me to prove that we cannot know.

If an theist asserts that his god exists, then the burden of proof rests with him to prove that his god exists.

If an atheist asserts that gods do not exist, he assumes the burden of proof to prove that gods do not exist.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

That seems fair and reasonable to me

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

Just a quick note. This is the definitions and explanations section not one for debate. If any one disagrees with the definition, start a thread in one of the debate forums. I did try to keep this definition even handed and neutral.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John