Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Sjoerd
Scholar

Totally biased definitions of religions/philosophies

Post #1

Post by Sjoerd »

Dear all,

I am very glad to have found a forum were people are generally unbiased and open-minded towards religion. Unfortunately, this is generally not so in the real world. Therefore I would like to open a thread of caricature definitions. Take a religion or philosophy that you adhere to or at least sympathize with, and give a definition as would be given by a totally biased and paranoid bigot unbeliever of your faith/philosophy. Deliberately parodize and satirize as much as you can, so that we can laugh prejudices and bigotry in the face.

I will start with a philosophy that I closely identify with:

Romanticism
Now that opium has been banned, these would-be heroes resort to Hobbits and Dungeons&Dragons to flee from the real world. Their claim to Weltschmerz is either a pitiful attempt to justify their miserable lives, or to deal with the fact that they pretend to love beautiful damsels and Elven Queens while they are in fact secretly gay. Don't let these tree-hugging vegetarians lull you into an illusion of harmlessness. They are more likely than not to shout "Heil Hitler" when they think no one else is watching. They would bring back the Middle Ages if it would be possible to have internet, too.

cheers,

Sjoerd

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Totally biased definitions of religions/philosophies

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Sjoerd wrote:Dear all,

I am very glad to have found a forum were people are generally unbiased and open-minded towards religion. Unfortunately, this is generally not so in the real world. Therefore I would like to open a thread of caricature definitions. Take a religion or philosophy that you adhere to or at least sympathize with, and give a definition as would be given by a totally biased and paranoid bigot unbeliever of your faith/philosophy. Deliberately parodize and satirize as much as you can, so that we can laugh prejudices and bigotry in the face.

I will start with a philosophy that I closely identify with:

Romanticism
Now that opium has been banned, these would-be heroes resort to Hobbits and Dungeons&Dragons to flee from the real world. Their claim to Weltschmerz is either a pitiful attempt to justify their miserable lives, or to deal with the fact that they pretend to love beautiful damsels and Elven Queens while they are in fact secretly gay. Don't let these tree-hugging vegetarians lull you into an illusion of harmlessness. They are more likely than not to shout "Heil Hitler" when they think no one else is watching. They would bring back the Middle Ages if it would be possible to have internet, too.

cheers,

Sjoerd
I think they would rather bring magic into the world than bring back the Middle Ages. And, I assure you, the average D&D player is not a vegetarian.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Sjoerd
Scholar

Re: Totally biased definitions of religions/philosophies

Post #3

Post by Sjoerd »

goat wrote:
I think they would rather bring magic into the world than bring back the Middle Ages. And, I assure you, the average D&D player is not a vegetarian.
Hehe, it's about biases, after all... Still, I am a vegetarian, although I don't play so much D&D.