Oceans of Plastic

To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

Darias
Guru

Oceans of Plastic

Post #1

Post by Darias »

I happened upon an article on reddit today that proposed a solution to the problem of pollution, specifically the mounting problem of plastic garbage islands polluting the water and killing wildlife.

As for the solution, I was impressed by the simplicity of it, the economic incentive for it, and the environmentally friendly aspects of it. I don't think the fact that it is profitable is a problem because one, there is no shortage of people who litter, and two, even if it came to a point where the project could no longer turn a profit -- enough money could be made to help solve other problems (e.g. Elon Musk helped found PayPal and then used the money he profited from that to start SpaceX and privately fund 3 commercial rockets -- this company now has capabilities that give future NASA projects a run for their money), or it could be turned into a non-profit enterprise, funded by environmentalists who really care about it.

[center][youtube][/youtube][/center]

There's no doubt that this is a serious problem that warrants many different solutions. I for one favor private ownership of oceans for the fact that private property is cared for, where public property is not -- because no one is accountable for the damages.

Someone who owned a section of the sea, at least in areas where there are ocean currents, would probably want to invest in garbage collection units to protect the wildlife in his parcel and to avoid being sued by other owners who might blame him for polluting their land, er... waters.

But anyways these are just some ideas; what are your thoughts?

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Kuan »

Possibly great idea! Im all for cleaning up this environmental distaster I was born into. How about this? Extreme, possibly but its amazing!

Philippine Financial District Bans Plastic

I lived under this ban for about a year or so, and i loved it. We did use paper, so we would need a way to replace all the trees being used, but its a better option than plastic.

Here is a canal in the philippines being cleaned up by a group of american and filipino servicemen.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Oceans of Plastic

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Darias wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 am I happened upon an article on reddit today that proposed a solution to the problem of pollution, specifically the mounting problem of plastic garbage islands polluting the water and killing wildlife.

As for the solution, I was impressed by the simplicity of it, the economic incentive for it, and the environmentally friendly aspects of it. I don't think the fact that it is profitable is a problem because one, there is no shortage of people who litter, and two, even if it came to a point where the project could no longer turn a profit -- enough money could be made to help solve other problems (e.g. Elon Musk helped found PayPal and then used the money he profited from that to start SpaceX and privately fund 3 commercial rockets -- this company now has capabilities that give future NASA projects a run for their money), or it could be turned into a non-profit enterprise, funded by environmentalists who really care about it.

[center][youtube][/youtube][/center]

There's no doubt that this is a serious problem that warrants many different solutions. I for one favor private ownership of oceans for the fact that private property is cared for, where public property is not -- because no one is accountable for the damages.

Someone who owned a section of the sea, at least in areas where there are ocean currents, would probably want to invest in garbage collection units to protect the wildlife in his parcel and to avoid being sued by other owners who might blame him for polluting their land, er... waters.

But anyways these are just some ideas; what are your thoughts?
I'm not sure ownership of seas would work, much less provide the desired effect of 'cleaner oceans'. From my experience, while some 'owners' keep their property clean and well maintained, people are lazy and many landowners I see (maybe as much as ½) don't give a care how their property looks or how it impacts those around them or it.
I think education and government banning of plastics (if they're not environmentally friendly if one could create such a thing) is by far and away the better solution. Additionally, extreme penalties for littering to be enacted
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

Private ownership of oceans would do nothing but incentivise owners to overfish their land, before the fish migrated into somebody else's land. Take them while they're yours before they go to your neighbour and he takes them.

That's saying nothing of the question of whether simply handing large swaths of the earth over to corporations is ethical. If the only reason I have to pay for a fish is because I'm not allowed to take one and he is, how is that right?

Libertarians often suggest things like this because libertarians are greedy. They seek rent - in other words, they seek to profit without any effort. If I owned the ocean I could charge fishermen to fish on it and make money from doing nothing. The fishermen and the people who buy the fish are my slaves, both, and simply because I own a disproportionate share of real property.

This is a perfect example of how, when libertarians say property, what they really mean is who is allowed to take resources from Nature and who is not. They want FishCo to be able to take a fish, millions of fish actually, while I am not able to take one. Regardless of whether this will heal the ocean (it won't) that isn't right.

In reality the ocean belongs to everyone. If everyone pollutes then we have the world we earned, and we sleep in our own bedbugs.

However, if some are polluting, while most are not, the polluters are liable to all the rest. They should be punished.

richardsjenkins

Post #5

Post by richardsjenkins »

I am also from Philippines and some 'owners' keep their property clean and well maintained, people are lazy and many landowners I see don't give a care how their property looks or how it impacts those around them or it. Kitchen Remodel Hawaii