Reducing the number of abortions

To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

mrmufin
Scholar

Reducing the number of abortions

Post #1

Post by mrmufin »

Otseng has mentioned this topic a few times, and I think it's worthy of discussion:

How can the number of abortions be lowered?

Remember, folks: this forum is for discussion toward a common objective, not for debate on the issue of abortion...

Regards,
mrmufin
Historically, bad science has been corrected by better science, not economists, clergy, or corporate interference.

Curious
Sage

Post #41

Post by Curious »

Why not make a compulsory virtual reality abortion simulator in schools. The "gamer" plays the part of the unborn child attempting to evade the surgeon's blade. Sick but effective.

turtleguy
Student

Post #42

Post by turtleguy »

i think if you made it illegal to abort babies the percentage would drop :D

CitizenX

Re: Reducing the number of abortions

Post #43

Post by CitizenX »

mrmufin wrote:Otseng has mentioned this topic a few times, and I think it's worthy of discussion:

How can the number of abortions be lowered?

Remember, folks: this forum is for discussion toward a common objective, not for debate on the issue of abortion...

Regards,
mrmufin
[CitizenX] Hello everybody.

'By common objective' ? Certainly I don't hold this objective myself. Am I disqualified from this thread?

If not, I would like to mention that it seems entirely likely that if abortion were illegal, fatalities from botched illegal abortions would once again become the order of the day.

From a feminist POV, if a society controlled by men arrogates to itself the right to control fetuses, it also arrogates to itself the right to indirectly control women thus strengthening the aformentioned male hedgemony. In short, it is oppressive to women.

There is much else I could mention which tends to suggest that the objective of reducing abortions is quite a bad idea, but I am not quite sure whether I am OT in this particular thread or not.

Still, I do have to wonder why 'reducing the number of abortions' might be considered a worthy objective at all.

And especially I have to wonder about the ethics of forcing a value system by means of legislation on people who do not agree with it. This too is oppressive.

So, it seems to me that if persuasion is insufficient to reduce abortions, legislation to this end will be nothing more than a monument to a failure.

Best Regards.

turtleguy
Student

Post #44

Post by turtleguy »

i was kindda kidding about the making it illegal citizenx

CitizenX

Post #45

Post by CitizenX »

turtleguy wrote:i was kindda kidding about the making it illegal citizenx
Ok Turtleguy #-o - sorry I missed your meaning.
Best Regards

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #46

Post by ST88 »

CitizenX wrote:Still, I do have to wonder why 'reducing the number of abortions' might be considered a worthy objective at all.

And especially I have to wonder about the ethics of forcing a value system by means of legislation on people who do not agree with it. This too is oppressive.

So, it seems to me that if persuasion is insufficient to reduce abortions, legislation to this end will be nothing more than a monument to a failure.
Hi Citizen X, I'd like to welcome you to the forums if no one has done so already.

There are many like myself among the Pro-Choice crowd who do not like the idea of mass abortions, and see an increase in the number of abortions as a failure of policy. I agree with Mr. Clinton, who said he wanted to see abortion "safe, legal, and rare."

As I see it, many abortions are the result of failed birth-control methods or lack of knowledge about birth control. Assuming abortions are done by women who do not and did not wish the pregnancy at the time of conception, then we have to assume that the ignorance of or the failure to use birth control was the culprit. Ignorance and failure can be combated by education.

CitizenX

Post #47

Post by CitizenX »

Hi Citizen X, I'd like to welcome you to the forums if no one has done so already.

There are many like myself among the Pro-Choice crowd who do not like the idea of mass abortions, and see an increase in the number of abortions as a failure of policy. I agree with Mr. Clinton, who said he wanted to see abortion "safe, legal, and rare."

As I see it, many abortions are the result of failed birth-control methods or lack of knowledge about birth control. Assuming abortions are done by women who do not and did not wish the pregnancy at the time of conception, then we have to assume that the ignorance of or the failure to use birth control was the culprit. Ignorance and failure can be combated by education.
Thanks very much for the welcome.

I take your point - prevention is probably better than cure. And I am very much in favour of education as a primary approach to social problems.

Not that everyone would necessarily agree that abortion is a 'problem'. I once knew a woman whose preferred method of contraception was abortion - she loved the hormonal charge apparently.

Funny old world.

Best Regards.

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Post #48

Post by Bugmaster »

mrmufin wrote:How can the number of abortions be lowered?
This goal is somewhat nebulous. One obvious answer would be, "outlaw abortion completely, and declare a nationwide War on Abortion to stamp out the practice". This solution will be quite effective (though not 100% effective, since black markets and do-it-yourself abortions will always exist), but I'm not sure if this is what you really want.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by ST88 »

Bugmaster wrote:
mrmufin wrote:How can the number of abortions be lowered?
This goal is somewhat nebulous. One obvious answer would be, "outlaw abortion completely, and declare a nationwide War on Abortion to stamp out the practice". This solution will be quite effective (though not 100% effective, since black markets and do-it-yourself abortions will always exist), but I'm not sure if this is what you really want.
Hi Bugmaster,

The goal of reducing abortions is a common goal, but each of us has different reasons for doing so. I would hazard a guess that most Christians want abortions reduced or eliminated in order to stop the denial of fetuses becoming people. Others would like to see abortions reduced because of the stigma associated with it, or the emotional trauma it may inflict, or because it is an otherwise unnecessary medical procedure.

The 100% stamp-out solution is not acceptable to the "Pro-Choice" crowd. Similarly, the 100% laissez-faire "abortions for everyone" is not acceptable to the "Pro-Life" crowd. These are both big reasons why this topic is in the "Putting Our Heads Together" forum. It is through the constraint of common ground that we are seeking an answer.

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Post #50

Post by Bugmaster »

ST88 wrote:The goal of reducing abortions is a common goal
I think the "Pro-Choice crowd" would disagree. Their goal is to make abortions as safe and freely available as possible, which is in direct opposition to your goal.

I understand that you want to find some sort of a compromise between the two opposing viewpoints (Pro-Choice vs. Pro-Life), but your stated goal does not sound like a compromise. I think that "provide better alternatives to abortion for preventing or terminating unwanted pregnancies" might be a better goal.