Obesity and overweight epidemic

To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Obesity and overweight epidemic

Post #1

Post by otseng »

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, two-third of all Americans over 20 are considered overweight. And one-third are considered obese. (Source: Prevalence and Trends in Obesity Among US Adults, 1999-2008)

And kids are not that healthy either. One-third are either overweight, obese or morbidly obese. Michelle Obama wants to cut child obesity from 20% to 5%.

And the problem also exists worldwide. The World Health Organization states:
Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with more than 1 billion adults overweight - at least 300 million of them clinically obese - and is a major contributor to the global burden of chronic disease and disability.
So, how can the overweight/obesity problem be addressed practically?

Abraxas
Guru

Post #11

Post by Abraxas »

Miles wrote:
Abraxas wrote:A lot of people are already ashamed about their weight yet still continue to overeat.
True, and I would never expect my suggestion, or any other, to be fool proof. What I can foresee is its possible effect on a decent number of overeaters. Even 25% would be a good result.
Perhaps but I don't know that you would get that much. The people most susceptible to shaming already are ashamed. The image of the overweight is such that I'm not sure it could get much worse given the beauty standards in America (which is a remarkable irony) but the behavior is not changing.
This "method", and I use the term generously, has never solved any problem before (this being the same thing society has done for a long time to "cure" homosexuality, how did that work out?) and I am relatively certain it never will in the future.
It wasn't present as a solution for everyone, just a good percentage. And are you suggesting that deliberate overeating is on par with homosexuality?
I'm suggesting shame tactics were long used to combat homosexuality and failed to change the behavior, I don't see this as different.
Further, it just creates a victim out of those who are overweight for medical reasons beyond their control.
In this case you can't be a victim unless you allow yourself to be. The message would address those people who CAN control their overweight.
And how can John Q. Public tell the difference between someone who is fat because they slam down twelve double cheeseburgers a day and someone who is fat because they have a gland disorder?
In order for Americans to not only lose the weight, but to actually become healthy, we, as a culture, are going to have to change radically and move in the opposite direction we have been headed in.
And I think that was implied in the OP. The question is, how is this going to be accomplished? Any suggestions?
Honestly? You would have to rebuild our infrastructure from the ground up. Re-engineer our agricultural system to crops like soybeans or rice instead of corn, limit sugar imports, taxes on unhealthy products, dramatically reduce red meat, move to five smaller meals a day instead of 3 larger ones, strengthen mass transit systems and take measures to limit automobiles like raising the gas prices shift our economy back towards manufacturing instead of services, and manufacturing that requires you to be on your feet instead of just watching machines, better integrate communities with business so that things are considered within walking distance, increase real wages so healthier food is more affordable and people don't need multiple jobs, longer lunch breaks to allow for something other than fast food... in short, be Japan/Korea.

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

Abraxas wrote:The people most susceptible to shaming already are ashamed.
It isn't only "the people most susceptible," but all those susceptible.
The image of the overweight is such that I'm not sure it could get much worse given the beauty standards in America (which is a remarkable irony) but the behavior is not changing.
Considering how many now let themselves become overweight I think there's a lot of room for the image to get worse.
I'm suggesting shame tactics were long used to combat homosexuality and failed to change the behavior, I don't see this as different.
Hmmm, I never saw much of such a tactic, but more one of outright disgust, contempt, and censure.
And how can John Q. Public tell the difference between someone who is fat because they slam down twelve double cheeseburgers a day and someone who is fat because they have a gland disorder?
The target isn't J. Q. P's ability to tell the difference, but the individual's recogintion of it.

sickles
Sage

Post #13

Post by sickles »

do away with corn subsidies, and high fructose corn syrup.
do away with trans fats (these fats NEVER leave your body)
stop processing starches for preservation
encourage recreational exercise
do genetic profiling on each individual to surmise thier evolutionary diet and tailor a food plan to that.
Do away with the money system that causes undo stress on the mind and body (leading to abusive parents that leads to depressed children, leads to abusive parents etc) depressed people tend to eat more.
And do away with the scorn that is associated with obesity, as this just causes more stress for most individuals, which leads to overeating. The stresses of trying to attract a mate already is enough pressure for most people to lighten up, if they can overcome the depression.
"Behold! A Man!" ~ Diogenes, my Hero.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

If it used to be a plant, then it is food. Eat it.
If it was manufactured in a plant, then it is not food. Don't eat it.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

naz
Banned
Banned

Re: Obesity and overweight epidemic

Post #15

Post by naz »

otseng wrote:According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, two-third of all Americans over 20 are considered overweight. And one-third are considered obese. (Source: Prevalence and Trends in Obesity Among US Adults, 1999-2008)

And kids are not that healthy either. One-third are either overweight, obese or morbidly obese. Michelle Obama wants to cut child obesity from 20% to 5%.

And the problem also exists worldwide. The World Health Organization states:
Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with more than 1 billion adults overweight - at least 300 million of them clinically obese - and is a major contributor to the global burden of chronic disease and disability.
So, how can the overweight/obesity problem be addressed practically?
Obesity among kids can cause a lot of problems.

- They can become depressed
- Have a hard time adapting or socializing with their peers
- Get picked on
- Have a hard time making friends
- Have a low self-esteem
- Can have health related issues early in life and later
- Don’t realize they have a problem because no one is there to help

Now that is just to name a few problems. Kids should not have to go through that at such an early age and chances are, parents don’t realize what they are putting their kids through and neither do fast food restaurants and the educational systems.

At early ages when childhood development is important, kids should be learning about the building blocks of life. Proper communication skills, proper diet and exercise, fun activities they can participate, the importance of nutritional foods, proper ethics, ways to behave, etc.
Why should the above not be taught until people are out of high school, entering or exiting college?

Make learning fun, what is taught in the classroom can relate to the cafeteria and kids can go home and tell their parents the importance of nutrition, that way parents can participate as well. What kind parent would not want to listen to their kid’s opinion about their health besides an undeserving one?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by McCulloch »

This is food.

This is not.
5% fruit juice.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

WinePusher

Post #17

Post by WinePusher »

I realize that I'm a little bit late to this thread, but the way I see it is that obesity and overwightness are really that big of an issue. I mean, would you rather live a long life eating only miserable carrot sticks and lettuces of cabbage, or would you rather live a shorter, more enjoyable life eating Steaks, Ribs, McDonalds, Pie, Cake and Burgers?

otseng
Savant

Post #18

Post by otseng »

WinePusher wrote:I realize that I'm a little bit late to this thread, but the way I see it is that obesity and overwightness are really that big of an issue. I mean, would you rather live a long life eating only miserable carrot sticks and lettuces of cabbage, or would you rather live a shorter, more enjoyable life eating Steaks, Ribs, McDonalds, Pie, Cake and Burgers?
As a note, this thread is not open for debate. Please see the guidelines for this subforum.

Abraxas
Guru

Post #19

Post by Abraxas »

Miles wrote:
Abraxas wrote:The people most susceptible to shaming already are ashamed.
It isn't only "the people most susceptible," but all those susceptible.
How does that work? If it failed to change the behavior of the first group, by what rationale should we expect it to change the second?
The image of the overweight is such that I'm not sure it could get much worse given the beauty standards in America (which is a remarkable irony) but the behavior is not changing.
Considering how many now let themselves become overweight I think there's a lot of room for the image to get worse.
Perhaps, but by the same token there is nothing to suggest making it any worse will make the problem any better.
Hmmm, I never saw much of such a tactic, but more one of outright disgust, contempt, and censure.
How would your tactics be different from disgust and contempt?
The target isn't J. Q. P's ability to tell the difference, but the individual's recogintion of it.
Not if you are expecting public image to change behavior, in which case it has to come from public disgust and contempt, which, with the failure to provide a mechanism by which people who are overweight for medical reasons as opposed to those who are overweight for inactivity and overeating would simply make victims of the first group as we have every reason to believe society would level hatred at both groups equally.

WinePusher

Post #20

Post by WinePusher »

WinePusher wrote:I realize that I'm a little bit late to this thread, but the way I see it is that obesity and overwightness are really that big of an issue. I mean, would you rather live a long life eating only miserable carrot sticks and lettuces of cabbage, or would you rather live a shorter, more enjoyable life eating Steaks, Ribs, McDonalds, Pie, Cake and Burgers?
otseng wrote:As a note, this thread is not open for debate. Please see the guidelines for this subforum.
Sorry about that.