Combating gender bias in schools

To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

BwhoUR
Sage

Combating gender bias in schools

Post #1

Post by BwhoUR »

New studies have discovered that girls learn math and science better when they are separated from boys. Although teachers try not to show favoritism or bias in the classroom, it is apparently very hard to overcome.

If "segregation" (I know, I know) of girls and boys in math and science classes is a proven method, how do we get schools to participate? Or, are keeping classrooms co-ed more important in the long run? Any thoughts?

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Re: Combating gender bias in schools

Post #2

Post by Ooberman »

suckka wrote:New studies have discovered that girls learn math and science better when they are separated from boys. Although teachers try not to show favoritism or bias in the classroom, it is apparently very hard to overcome.

If "segregation" (I know, I know) of girls and boys in math and science classes is a proven method, how do we get schools to participate? Or, are keeping classrooms co-ed more important in the long run? Any thoughts?
Good topic! Yes, the studies are quite irrefutable. I think we are going to see private schools start to segregate first, then it might get to the public schools.

It's weird, we might actually see co-ed sports and segregated math class!

Or, we keep it as it is and try to work on public acceptance that girls can do math, too. After all, the studies also show that girls can, so the problem is the social prejudice - which can hopefully be combated with heavy mockery. (IMO, mockery is the most effective tool to combat bigotry and prejudice)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

suckka wrote: New studies have discovered that girls learn math and science better when they are separated from boys.
The problem it that boys do worse at math and science when they are separated from the girls. So do we change the set-up to advantage girls at the expense of the boys?

Full disclosure: I don't really know if this is a true fact, or just my imagination. But it does make for an interesting hypothetical.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #4

Post by BwhoUR »

Ooberman wrote:
suckka wrote:New studies have discovered that girls learn math and science better when they are separated from boys. Although teachers try not to show favoritism or bias in the classroom, it is apparently very hard to overcome.

Good topic! Yes, the studies are quite irrefutable. I think we are going to see private schools start to segregate first, then it might get to the public schools.

It's weird, we might actually see co-ed sports and segregated math class!

Or, we keep it as it is and try to work on public acceptance that girls can do math, too. After all, the studies also show that girls can, so the problem is the social prejudice - which can hopefully be combated with heavy mockery. (IMO, mockery is the most effective tool to combat bigotry and prejudice)
Mockery? I love mockery! What should we start with?

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #5

Post by BwhoUR »

McCulloch wrote:
suckka wrote: New studies have discovered that girls learn math and science better when they are separated from boys.
The problem it that boys do worse at math and science when they are separated from the girls. So do we change the set-up to advantage girls at the expense of the boys?

Full disclosure: I don't really know if this is a true fact, or just my imagination. But it does make for an interesting hypothetical.
Hmmm, I'll look into it.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Ooberman »

McCulloch wrote:

Those are the best facts - the ones that might not be true! hahahaha Hmmm... what is an untrue fact?

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #7

Post by BwhoUR »

Okay, here's my initial finding re: do boys do worse in same-gender classrooms. This is feedback from a Virginia school that is practicing same-gender classrooms. Seems as though boys do better as well (reading scores up, discipline problems down). Also seems that both are at a disadvantage when in co-ed classrooms.

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2009/12/09/v ... by-gender/

START:
On national 8th grade reading tests, boys fall short – with ten percent fewer boys than girls achieving a basic reading level. Proponents of single sex education say boys learn best with competition and movement.

“The boys in general, if they're in their desks and seated and expected to sit and do their work there, they're more apt to become unfocused, be disturbed by others, start the tapping, start making the noise,� says teacher Meagan Kennedy.

Kennedy says since the program began three years ago, reading scores in the all-boy classrooms are up and discipline problems are down.

In Kristen Williams' all-girl math class, warm lamp light and desks grouped together reflect the thinking that girls learn best working in a cooperative environment. Williams says she's seen dramatic improvements, particularly among girls that struggled in coed math classes.

“Give them a lot of social time, a lot of time and opportunity to be verbal, to work in partners, to work in groups. … I think they have a better understanding of the subject matter because of the way that they've been instructed."

Even with some signs of success, single sex education has its critics. Professor David Sadker, who's written extensively about gender bias in schools, says rather than separating students by gender, schools should work to make coed classrooms better.

“If you assume that boys behave one way and you teach to that stereotype, and you assume that girls learn another way, and you teach to that stereotype, what you're doing is limiting the option of kids. You're reinforcing stereotypes. … Creating single sex schools to improve test grades is a cheap solution to a much deeper problem,� he says.

But for Darah Rawls, the all-boy class was the answer to his problems. After getting Cs and Ds through grade school – and struggling emotionally – Darah's mom Ashanti DeVaughn moved the family to Woodbridge just so Darah could attend the single gender program there.

Ashanti says she noticed changes not only in Darah’s grades, but in his personality.

“Just even the way that he dresses, his behavior, he just walks with a different stature. He's mature because he's around other boys. … I think that's pushing him to be the best, to be better.�

Darah now gets As and Bs, and dreams of becoming an Air Force pilot.

“It makes me feel really good about myself and everything,� he says. END