Bullying In Schools

To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Bullying In Schools

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

I'm sure we've all faced some type of bullying in schools, whether it be verbal, technological or physical. I've faced my fair share of being bullyied, have seen others being bullyied, and have done some of the bullying myself (sad to say). In America, alot of kids have been committing suicide as a result of bullying.

---Just as a personal comment, I'd say that verbal bullying is the most effective and destructive force out there. Having only graduated high school a few years ago, I remember one kid in-particular who was targeted because he had a speech impediment. Very sad what some of the kids did to him, from verbal abuse to messing with his stuff and so on. Personally, I really can't think of anything that can be done to fix this problem. Telling an adult or teacher really only hurts the problem, so I've heard that the only real solution is homeschooling or online schooling the kid being bullied in order to remove him from the situation., which is extremely unfair.

Going aganist my conservative philosophy, I would be in favor of schools teaching some type of "sensitivity" classe of some sort that would discourage bullying and help teach kids to be more kind.---

1) What can be done to prevent this?

2) What is your take on this issue?

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Kuan »

I never had a problem with bullying, most people enjoyed being around me...Guess I was lucky or something. I remember one kid tried to bully me once, we ended up becoming friends.

1. I do think a class would be helpful but its hard because it should be approached carefully. If approached wrong it could give bullies another reason to pick on kids.

2. Its a issue we need to address. But I dont think we should get so involved that we are sheltering them from the actual possibility of being bullied. It really is a sad issue though and im not sure on how to approach it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by LiamOS »

I think that a mechanism actually being put in place deal with it would be more appropriate in current society than prevention, as prevention would involve teaching kids from birth that everybody's equal regardless.
I'm not sure about Europe, but I don't think America'd take that'n on board too easily.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Good question. Moving this to "Putting our heads together".

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Lux »

I was bullied as a kid. I went to a school that had a very serious bullying problem and no one did anything about it. As the only non-religious in a catholic school, I had it somewhat bad. Not as bad as overweight kids, though...
There was practically no bullying at all in my high school (different school).

I don't think programs to prevent bullying would help, I think we'd be better off offering better psychological counseling and creating an environment where kids can feel it's safe to report bully problems.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

flitzerbiest
Sage

Post #6

Post by flitzerbiest »

A multiple pronged approach is necessary:

1. Children need to be taught empathy at an early age. Some degree of empathy is likely innate, but individuals possess it in varying degrees. However, recent research demonstrates that empathy can be a learned response.
2. Bullying needs to be identified and punished.
3. Habitual bullies need to be identified for remedial socialization.
4. Victims must be supported.
5. Peers who intervene to stop bullying should be recognized and rewarded.

Telora
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Telora »

flitzerbiest wrote:A multiple pronged approach is necessary:

1. Children need to be taught empathy at an early age. Some degree of empathy is likely innate, but individuals possess it in varying degrees. However, recent research demonstrates that empathy can be a learned response.
2. Bullying needs to be identified and punished.
3. Habitual bullies need to be identified for remedial socialization.
4. Victims must be supported.
5. Peers who intervene to stop bullying should be recognized and rewarded.
These are good ideas, but it comes down to the school. My daughters school has the Rachael's law or something program. She was a girl that was bullied to the point of suicide, using some of her poetry they have a rather impressive anti bully campaign that does include assemblies where they have discussions on it.

It's still a slight problem but they're working hard to keep it under control, my daughter is disabled and she's not bullied like kids i remember going to school with.

sadly it took one too many school shootings to get to this point.

SomePunk
Scholar

Re: Bullying In Schools

Post #8

Post by SomePunk »

WinePusher wrote:I'm sure we've all faced some type of bullying in schools, whether it be verbal, technological or physical. I've faced my fair share of being bullyied, have seen others being bullyied, and have done some of the bullying myself (sad to say). In America, alot of kids have been committing suicide as a result of bullying.

---Just as a personal comment, I'd say that verbal bullying is the most effective and destructive force out there. Having only graduated high school a few years ago, I remember one kid in-particular who was targeted because he had a speech impediment. Very sad what some of the kids did to him, from verbal abuse to messing with his stuff and so on. Personally, I really can't think of anything that can be done to fix this problem. Telling an adult or teacher really only hurts the problem, so I've heard that the only real solution is homeschooling or online schooling the kid being bullied in order to remove him from the situation., which is extremely unfair.

Going aganist my conservative philosophy, I would be in favor of schools teaching some type of "sensitivity" classe of some sort that would discourage bullying and help teach kids to be more kind.---

1) What can be done to prevent this?

2) What is your take on this issue?
Well for one, I would say kids at an early age are influenced or act on prejudice.
However, what I have noticed, is the differences of curriculum between a college level and a public school system for grades K-12 is that there are no class on ethics.

That is, there are no classes on how people should act or treat their fellow classmates. That of course means how people should behave around others or act in such a diverse world. One that strives for some sense of civility. That problem is K-12 (or early stages of the educational system) use to use disciplinary actions such as "spankings". Now that this is outlawed, and rightfully so, they had no other means of teaching kids proper behavior imo or how to act around others as to what is appropriate opposed to what isn't. So just having a simple class on ethics imo would go a long way. Seeing how ethics is something kids will deal with from the time they start school, and even 5, 10, 20, or 40+ years after they are done. Kids shouldn't have to learn ethical behavior on their own. I think it would cut down on crime and promote a positive outlook on life and do a lot to improve the daily life of society.

bro
Student

Post #9

Post by bro »

my 2 cents on this. first off, why does it matter? im my opinion parents are doing less and less of a good job on raising their kids. and an even worse job at taking responsibility. as a foreign student in a us school i was bullied. a lot. i did a couple of things: got over it, realized that some people are gonna be jerks and moved on with my life, talked to the people about it and some stopped, or i looked at what they were saying and considered that they are right. instead of stopping bullies ( witch is impossible ) we need to better educate our kids to be more self reliant, have more faith in themselves and to solve problems on their own. if you teach your kid that mommy will fix everything it will hurt him in the end. ive been in the " adult " life for a while now. there are bullies all around: bosses, coworkers, etc. and times come when i cant do anything about it. i can take it, stop it, or move on. we need to teach our kids that. but foremost parents need to raise their kids better.

MrSergeant
Student

Post #10

Post by MrSergeant »

The answer to this problem is to cease the "baby-fying" of the children. Parents are clinging to their child more than the child to them.
The child needs to be burned to understand the stove is hot, and not do it again.

Kids need to learn to take responsibility for their life and their "self-esteem" (whatever that is). When I punched the bully in the face, it was the strongest message I could ever send besides holding him at gun point. Now, I'm not saying just go around opening up cans of whoop-ass on everyone who looks at you crazy, but, build your character and honor early, defending yourself from people who try to kick you down.