To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Would taxing the rich prevent corruption by Gov. officials

Post #1

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello,

If the rich people paid more in taxes, would they have a greater concern with regards to stoping Congress from wasteful spending.? Would it have been more difficult for Bush to award his no bid contracts?
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Re: Would taxing the rich prevent corruption by Gov. officia

Post #2

Post by SailingCyclops »

sleepyhead wrote:Hello,

If the rich people paid more in taxes, would they have a greater concern with regards to stoping Congress from wasteful spending.? Would it have been more difficult for Bush to award his no bid contracts?
I don't believe so. The biggest problem I see with our political system is that politicians are bought and paid for by the rich and powerful. They then owe allegiance to the money which got them elected, and which will fund their re-election. "Wasteful spending" is nothing more than payback. Billions to the oil companies, and to defense contractors, is merely giving back what is owed, and a way to insure election finances for the next election. It's called corruption, and our system has been corrupted beyond it's ability to function for the good of the population and the country.

Bob

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

I don't see it would affect corruption, but I do see how it would help reduce the deficit.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Question Everything
Sage

Post #4

Post by Question Everything »

I think the question is backwards and the reason why taxes on the rich are so low that Warren Buffet is paying a lower rate than his secretary is because of corruption by Gov. officials. SailingCyclops has it right.

I don't think marginal rates need to rise to pre Reagan levels, but we could certainly eliminate the special low capital gains tax and make capital gains the same as other income. There is also no reason for hedge fund income to count as capital gains.

None of this will happen until the rest of us take control away from the top 1%.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

Willum
Savant

Post #5

Post by Willum »

[Replying to sleepyhead]

Regen removed progressive taxes and the ability for the common man to prosecute Union Busters. This allowed companies to retain enough money to survive the worst damage its employees could do, which began the breaking of Unions, like unto now.

Some people still say, Unions are killing this country.
Well, Unions are all but dead, how are you doing?

Here's what I say.

Give our members of Congress what they want, whenever they want it. All the damage they can do through slovenly greed doesn't equate to the damage $1M in legal bribes does to the balance of the US. Think about it, I'll wager every dollar a given company gives a state exploits it for thousands more.

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

SailingCyclops wrote:

I don't believe so. The biggest problem I see with our political system is that politicians are bought and paid for by the rich and powerful. They then owe allegiance to the money which got them elected, and which will fund their re-election. "Wasteful spending" is nothing more than payback. Billions to the oil companies, and to defense contractors, is merely giving back what is owed, and a way to insure election finances for the next election. It's called corruption, and our system has been corrupted beyond it's ability to function for the good of the population and the country.

Bob
What about the billions given to the poor to keep them powerless. Would you vote for someone who let you keep what you earn, if that individual decreased the amount that you got for doing nothing?

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by SailingCyclops »

bluethread wrote: What about the billions given to the poor to keep them powerless. Would you vote for someone who let you keep what you earn, if that individual decreased the amount that you got for doing nothing?
Are you really trying to resurrect the welfare queen" canard? Really?

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis