Helping the homeless

To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Helping the homeless

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Here in Atlanta, there is talk about having a law against panhandling in certain tourist areas. I don't want to debate about panhandling, but I would like to discuss the underlying problem, which is homelessness and poverty.

What can be done to address homelessness and poverty?
What should be the role of government, corporations, and individuals?
What are some of the underlying issues behind homelessness and poverty?

joer
Guru

Post #21

Post by joer »

Catalyst, All I Am, MikeH and All nice revival of this thread.

A lot of excelent ideas.

I like your view and vison of the Homeless.

I can't imagine greater joy than seeing the uplifting of humanity as a daily function fo ones life.

Like All I AM, the Homeless friends I have had, are a blessing for those they encounter on the streets. Creating, building, supporting and maintaining relationships is what life is all about. IMHO.

I await the arrival of a homeless friend tomorrow, with a vision of gardening in his mind. After 18 years of chronic depression we look forward to some joyful times. I'm hoping he and my daughter who both have an interest in getting back to the simple life of growing food, can provide support to each other to accomplish that simple goal. A community organic garden beginning with two.

There's another I hope to see soon, he comes by when the weather here warms up. I picked him up 20 years ago hitch-hiking in the freezing cold rain and we have been friends since although seeing one another only sparingly.

Good Will to all. :D
The more you discover you are Loved By God. The more you want to do God''s Will

Heterodoxus
Scholar

Post #22

Post by Heterodoxus »

otseng wrote:..... build apartments with very small rooms. Here's one that is 62 square feet.....
Not much of a solution in closet-sized residences from where I sit. At $247/wk like that "apartment," how many homeless and unemployed folks would be able to afford nearly $1K/mo for rent? Utilities would make the cost even higher. I'm retired and, if I were out on the streets, I wouldn't be able to afford even something that tiny.

joer
Guru

Post #23

Post by joer »

Heterodoxus wrote:
otseng wrote:..... build apartments with very small rooms. Here's one that is 62 square feet.....
Not much of a solution in closet-sized residences from where I sit. At $247/wk like that "apartment," how many homeless and unemployed folks would be able to afford nearly $1K/mo for rent? Utilities would make the cost even higher. I'm retired and, if I were out on the streets, I wouldn't be able to afford even something that tiny.
Heterodoxus, I'm glad for your compassion. I saw the the movie the "Soloist" with Jimmie Fox and Robert Dowing Jr. It was quite compelling I think in bringing attention to the plight of the homeless. The more awareness abot the issue the greater the chance that we make better decisions in dealing with it.

I applaud all groups and private persons who reach out to help those in need.

Nice to meet you Heterodoxus. Good Will to you and all here. O:)
The more you discover you are Loved By God. The more you want to do God''s Will

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #24

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

My suggestion is that someone makes a program for the homeless that is a large house setting that is comfortable and everyone has their own room + bathroom to better take care of hygene. So in a sense what I'm really suggesting is nothing more than an upgraded shelter. Put this program in as many places as possible. The main requirement of enrolling in this program is that the individual must be taking all the steps needed to seek employment and housing asap which can be confirmed through documentation to their case worker. Anyone that doesn't show to be applying themselves to acceptable efforts will be kicked out of the program.

In addition to this someone could start a public advertisement of a program that seeks any volunteers to taking someone in their home. The homeless person can then in between working and seeking housing work for his stay by handling house hold responsibility or/and paying a certain % of their income when they receive their check, that is if the volunteer would want them to.

For people that are confirmed mentally unstable through multiple testing of subjective(symtoms you can't see) and objective(symptoms you can see)could be put on disability income immediately and place them in a large house next to the one in my first paragraph. Apart of their disability requirements can be mandatory that they go through all needed treatment with the hope that they will recover and be able to work and must be put on a waiting list for housing. This way it is unlikely that someone will just be too lazy and get paid for it.

To fund all of this can come from fundraising publicly and whoever works or is on disability while in this special program, can be charged a certain % of their income when they receive their check.