God's Plan For Your Life

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

God's Plan For Your Life

Post #1

Post by Miles »

"God has plans. From the very beginning when He created this world, He had a plan. For day and night, heavens and earth, land and sea, sun and moon, birds and fish, animals and humans, He has always had a plan. And just four verses into His Word, we see that He likes His plan. He calls it good. Indeed, near the end of creation, He calls His plan very good. (Genesis 1).

His plan is good because of the purpose it will serve. It is good because of the hope it will give. It is good because of the lives it will save. But really, it is good simply because of the God who calls it so. Creation had only to be created for it to be called good.

But still, God has plans. He has them for you. He knew the span of your life before you were formed in your mother’s womb. He knows the hairs on your head, the thoughts in your mind, and the hours that you will live on this earth. He would not leave such attention to detail merely to chance. God has plans for you, and they are good.

source

................................ Image

So, why would god plan to have your three-month old baby die of SIDS, or suffocation, or an atrioventricular septal defect, or . . . ?

Why would he plan that you die in an automobile accident at the age of eight?

Why would he plan that you starve for your entire life, eating insects while sitting in a dirt floor hut in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Why would he plan that your sister never attain an IQ over 55?

If these are god's plans then he must be some kind of ubersadist. But if none of this is the result of his plan, why did he let them occur? Why bother making plans in the first place? Are his plans really that ineffectual, but, in fact, worthless?

OR, are god's plans only for people like Wally Cleaver and the "Beaver," and all the other good folk of Mayfield?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: God's Plan For Your Life

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

God has a purpose for mankind which will and can never fail.

He does not plan everybody's life but thanks to his unchangeable purpose, we can all entertain the hope of an end to all suffering.

RELATED POSTS

What is the difference between a plan and a purpose?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 91#p836491
Go to other posts related to...

LIFE, HUMAN SUFFERING and ...THE PURPOSE OF LIFE
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:54 am God has a purpose for mankind which will and can never fail.
In the mean time people are undergoing incredible suffering and untimely deaths. How nice of god and his unfailing purpose. Truthfully, what it looks like is this is his purpose: mankind is to forever undergo suffering and untimely deaths.
He does not plan everybody's life but thanks to his unchangeable purpose, we can all entertain the hope of an end to all suffering.
So what is he waiting for before he ends all the suffering, just a bit more suffering and early deaths? Isn't thousands of years of unbearable misery and heartbreak enough?

Obviously not.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:50 pm .

"God has plans. From the very beginning when He created this world, He had a plan. For day and night, heavens and earth, land and sea, sun and moon, birds and fish, animals and humans, He has always had a plan. And just four verses into His Word, we see that He likes His plan. He calls it good. Indeed, near the end of creation, He calls His plan very good. (Genesis 1).

His plan is good because of the purpose it will serve. It is good because of the hope it will give. It is good because of the lives it will save. But really, it is good simply because of the God who calls it so. Creation had only to be created for it to be called good.

But still, God has plans. He has them for you. He knew the span of your life before you were formed in your mother’s womb. He knows the hairs on your head, the thoughts in your mind, and the hours that you will live on this earth. He would not leave such attention to detail merely to chance. God has plans for you, and they are good.

source

So, why would god plan to have your three-month old baby die of SIDS, or suffocation, or an atrioventricular septal defect, or . . . ?

Why would he plan that you starve for your entire life, eating insects while sitting in a dirt floor hut in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

If these are god's plans then he must be some kind of ubersadist. But if none of this is the result of his plan, why did he let them occur? Why bother making plans in the first place? Are his plans really that ineffectual, but, in fact, worthless?

OR, are god's plans only for people like Wally Cleaver and the "Beaver," and all the other good folk of Mayfield?

If God is real as the bible says, he must have a plan. It's evident in the life of Jesus: God became man (some believe) and his life ended as planned: as salvation for mankind.
Someone saying "God doesn't have a plan" have twisted their bible reading to fit their needs, as it's clearly outlined in the bible that God does indeed have a plan.

Now, it's possible we don't understand and or know of the fullness of God's plan. Which, if God is all powerful, all knowing and creator of all things, that's totally understandable.
That's not excusing God (as, if he's the creator of ALL THING, all responsibility for everything is his as it couldn't have happened if he didn't create or allow it) it's simple logic: an imperfect being (humanity) can't fully understand an omni-being such as God's claimed to be.
What's more likely, IMO, is flawed, imperfect humanity is trying to put a 'cause and effect' onto life and thus, understand it. Which isn't possible even if there is no god at all. The human brain can't understand everything. Which is why, IMO, belief in God is so strong with some: they need to understand and when they can't, they put in the 'filler', which is God.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

Again, Miles, you forget about the Devil. I'm sure the Devil's plans for us are utterly evil as God's plans for us are only good!

(Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God has created evil for the World. Good and evil are primordial forces.)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:01 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:50 pm .

source

If God is real as the bible says, he must have a plan.
So the Bible says, but it's hardly a plan that's working.

Jeremiah 29:11
11 I say this because I know the plans that I have for you.” This message is from the Lord. “I have good plans for you. I don’t plan to hurt you. I plan to give you hope and a good future.
It's evident in the life of Jesus: God became man (some believe) and his life ended as planned: as salvation for mankind.
As the story goes, evidently the life of Jesus worked out as planned.

Now, it's possible we don't understand and or know of the fullness of God's plan. Which, if God is all powerful, all knowing and creator of all things, that's totally understandable.
A plan, whatever it may be, that includes gross amounts of suffering and untimely deaths. And if that's god's plan then so be it, but don't tell me he deserves praise, glorification, and thanks.
What's more likely, IMO, is flawed, imperfect humanity is trying to put a 'cause and effect' onto life and thus, understand it. Which isn't possible even if there is no god at all. The human brain can't understand everything. Which is why, IMO, belief in God is so strong with some: they need to understand and when they can't, they put in the 'filler', which is God.
Yup.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Aetixintro wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

Again, Miles, you forget about the Devil. I'm sure the Devil's plans for us are utterly evil as God's plans for us are only good!
Then how odd that the power of the devil trumps that of god. Or maybe the devil, and not god, is the supreme ruler of the universe. Hmmm!

(Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God has created evil for the World. Good and evil are primordial forces.)
Try reading Isaiah 45:7

Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

And notice that his creation of evil isn't put in the past tense "created," as if he's done creating evil, but in the present tense "create," an ongoing activity. So God = Devil???

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:50 pm ...

If these are god's plans then he must be some kind of ubersadist. But if none of this is the result of his plan, why did he let them occur? Why bother making plans in the first place? Are his plans really that ineffectual, but, in fact, worthless?...
I am not the God, therefore I am not right person to answer why God did something. But, I would like to know, why do think those are God’s plan? After all, if we read the Bible, when He created, everything was good. It seems to me that all those difficulties came after God was rejected. And if people reject God, why expect God to protect them and take care of them, when people don’t want it?

Also, for example the hut case, if the person would want something else, don’t you think he would do something for it? It appears to me that mostly people get what they want.

And are you saying that life with IQ55 is not worth living?

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:37 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:50 pm ...

If these are god's plans then he must be some kind of ubersadist. But if none of this is the result of his plan, why did he let them occur? Why bother making plans in the first place? Are his plans really that ineffectual, but, in fact, worthless?...
I am not the God, therefore I am not right person to answer why God did something. But, I would like to know, why do think those are God’s plan? After all, if we read the Bible, when He created, everything was good. It seems to me that all those difficulties came after God was rejected. And if people reject God, why expect God to protect them and take care of them, when people don’t want it?
After reading

"But still, God has plans. He has them for you . . . ."

in the OP, why wouldn't I think they're his plans? Or are his plans so easily thwarted that the result is meaningless suffering and distress?

Also, for example the hut case, if the person would want something else, don’t you think he would do something for it? It appears to me that mostly people get what they want.

And are you saying that life with IQ55 is not worth living?
I'm saying that living with a 55 IQ is living with a severe handicap, so why would god's plan be to inflict such a handicap on anyone?

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Aetixintro wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

God is either all-powerful or he's not. It's always odd to think that one who is all-powerful can have his plans thwarted by lesser beings. Sometimes humans get the blame for doing so. Whether it's humans or the devil, it makes no logical sense.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom