Is there a new heaven and a new earth coming?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

More quotes taken from: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-s ... earth.html

Isaiah 65:17-19 - “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.”

2 Peter 3:13 – “But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”

Revelation 21:1 – “Then I saw ‘a new heaven and a new earth,’ for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.”

Isaiah 66:22 - “‘As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,’ declares the Lord, ‘so will your name and descendants endure.’”

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Is there a new heaven and a new earth coming?

Post #61

Post by nobspeople »

Any time Revelations is used as a source, it has to be taken with several pounds of salt (and maybe some other spices as well). People argue over what that book means (if anything), is it literal, or not or something else so, at best, it's a 'crap shoot' as discerning any real meaning. In other words, what this person says about something from Revelations is just as likely as what that person says about Revelations and not likely, at the same time.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #62

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #56]
"False prophet" Paul?? You and I don't have anything further to talk about. If you can throw out several books in the New Testament (the ones written by Paul), I'm not interested in what further you have to say.

Last edited by onewithhim on Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #63

Post by onewithhim »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:58 am MILLENIUM RULE

With Satan out of the picture and corrupt human governments destroyed, righteous people will live in peaceful conditions under the King Jesus and his 144,000 co-rulers for 1000 years (millenium). Life under Jesus rulership will be good not bad, there will be no human suffering, no death, no pain or tears from anxiety or sorrow.

LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS PERIOD
viewtopic.php?p=904219#p904219

What will living conditions be like on this planet EARTH after Armageddon?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 44#p917144

During this time there is a GREAT RESURRECTION.
Checkpoint wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:58 am

12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
What do you have to say about this apparent contradiction?
VERSE 12 EXPLAINED: Milions (perhaps billions) of people will be bought back to life to learn about the True God. If they choose to live by Gods standards they will be allowed to live on. This is why this same 1000 year period is also called judgement "day".
Beautiful explanation, JW. Jehovah makes it so simple for us to grasp. With His Holy Spirit we can't go wrong.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #64

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:39 am [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #56]
"False prophet" Paul?? You and I don't have anything further to talk about. If you can throw out several books in the New Testament (the ones written by Paul), I'm not interested in what further you have to say.
I think Paul and his compatriots take up about 2/3s of the NT, that book/field, which contains both the seed of the devil, the tare seed, along with the wheat seed, message of the son of man (Matthew 13). Of course the general canon, used by most of Christiandom, was established by a leader in the Roman church, Athanasius, in 367 AD, way after the falling away (Matthew 26:31 & Zechariah 13:7), who was a representative of a daughter of Babylon. As for the "books written by Paul", half of them are questionably authored by Paul. The same is true with respect to what is written in Peter's name.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #65

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:46 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:58 am MILLENIUM RULE

With Satan out of the picture and corrupt human governments destroyed, righteous people will live in peaceful conditions under the King Jesus and his 144,000 co-rulers for 1000 years (millenium). Life under Jesus rulership will be good not bad, there will be no human suffering, no death, no pain or tears from anxiety or sorrow.

LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS PERIOD
viewtopic.php?p=904219#p904219

What will living conditions be like on this planet EARTH after Armageddon?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 44#p917144

During this time there is a GREAT RESURRECTION.
Checkpoint wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:58 am

12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
VERSE 12 EXPLAINED: Milions (perhaps billions) of people will be bought back to life to learn about the True God. If they choose to live by Gods standards they will be allowed to live on. This is why this same 1000 year period is also called judgement "day".
Beautiful explanation, JW. Jehovah makes it so simple for us to grasp. With His Holy Spirit we can't go wrong.
You seem to have a timing problem. Revelation 20:12 is with respect to the end of the millennium, when the devil and the false prophet, as well as the beast, are thrown into the lake of fire. During the millennium, the devil was only locked into the "abyss" for a thousand years before being let out. In Revelation 20:12 all the dead, small and great were raised from the dead and judged. Most of those had been in the grave for at least 1000 years during the millennium (Revelation 20:5).

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #66

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #58]

As you did not answer the question I asked, I now ask it again.
The new heaven and new earth happen when Christ returns in Kingdom power.
Your answer is in agreement with, and thus is supported by, what Jesus said in Matthew 24:35 onwards. And by what Peter wrote in 2 Peter 3.

However, it contradicts what John clearly states he saw, in Revelation 20:
7 When the thousand years were over,...

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from His presence, and there was no place for them.
Being, the old heaven and earth pass away at the second coming[in Matthew 24 and 2 Peter 3], and they pass away when the 1000 years are over[ in Revelation 20].

tj

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #67

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:01 pm Being, the old heaven and earth pass away at the second coming[in Matthew 24 and 2 Peter 3], and they pass away when the 1000 years are over[ in Revelation 20].

I have already addressed this ....
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:00 am
11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from His presence, and there was no place for them.
VERSE 11 EXPLAINED: As Peter explained, the old earth (wicked human society) and the old heavens (demonic lead rulership)will, be destroyed. Revelation 20 verse 11 is speaking of this event (compare Rev 20:1-4).
Rev 20 verse 11 refers to the destruction that marks the beginning of the millenium not the end.; in short they do NOT "and they pass away when the 1000 years are over" they pass away when the 1000 years begins.

WICKED HUMANS SOCIETY ==> CHRIST RETURNS [Destruction of the wicked] ===> New World / JUDGEMENT DAY BEGINS ===> 1000 YEAR OF PEACE

JW
Memorial of Jesus’ Death: Sunday, March 24, 2024
FIND A LOCATION NEAR YOU: https://apps.jw.org/ui/E/meeting-search.html#/memorial

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #68

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness post_id=1057035 time=1637726830 user_id=6111]
Checkpoint post_id=1057028 time=1637719307 user_id=13081]
Being, the old heaven and earth pass away at the second coming[in Matthew 24 and 2 Peter 3], and they pass away when the 1000 years are over[ in Revelation 20].
I have already addressed this ....
JehovahsWitness post_id=1056782 time=1637571609 user_id=6111]
VERSE 11 EXPLAINED: As Peter explained, the old earth (wicked human society) and the old heavens (demonic lead rulership)will, be destroyed. Revelation 20 verse 11 is speaking of this event (compare Rev 20:1-4).

Rev 20 verse 11 refers to the destruction that marks the beginning of the millenium not the end.; in short they do NOT "and they pass away when the 1000 years are over" they pass away when the 1000 years begins.
JW
Thus says JW.

Ah, now I understand.

You made an interesting choice, and, by doing so, gave me an interesting choice too.

Proverbs 26:4-5.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #69

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 am
You made an interesting choice, and, by doing so, gave me an interesting choice too.
I am not particularly interested in your choices. If you believe you can prove the below wrong scripturally, I invite you to take your bible and do so.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:07 pm
JUDGEMENT DAY

WICKED HUMANS SOCIETY ==> CHRIST RETURNS [Destruction of the wicked] ===> New World / JUDGEMENT DAY BEGINS ===> 1000 YEAR OF PEACE ===> JUDGEMENT DAY ENDS

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
Memorial of Jesus’ Death: Sunday, March 24, 2024
FIND A LOCATION NEAR YOU: https://apps.jw.org/ui/E/meeting-search.html#/memorial

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #70

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to Checkpoint in post #68]
I am not particularly interested in your choices. If you believe you can prove the below wrong scripturally, I invite you to take your bible and do so.
Sure.

JehovahsWitness wrote: ↑Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:07 pm

WICKED HUMANS SOCIETY ==> CHRIST RETURNS [Destruction of the wicked] ===> New World / JUDGEMENT DAY BEGINS ===> 1000 YEAR OF PEACE
When does this Judgment Day begin, and when does it end?

What is its purpose?