The Atonement

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

The Atonement

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

To all true Christians there is nothing more important to our salvation than "The Atonement of Jesus Christ".

Having said that, is it not therefore extremely important to every individual to understand fully what and how the atonement works for our benefit?

What does the atonement do or does not do?

What is required on our part to receive the full benefits of the atonement?

What and when and by whom did the atonement begin?

Can anyone clearly show all scriptures pertaining to the atonement?

I look forward to hearing your "take" on this most important topic.

Kind regards,
RW

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: The Atonement

Post #361

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:29 am... faith/believing isn't a condition to get salvation
All non-believers shall perish according to Jesus Christ in John 3:16:
John 3:16 wrote:. . . whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
You claim belief is not a requirement to be saved. One who does not believe is a non-believer.

If one non-believer can be saved, then Jesus doesn't understand salvation -- because Jesus states that non-believers will perish.

How can any non-believer gain salvation as you claim by stating that belief is not a requirement for salvation?

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #362

Post by Brightfame52 »

Free from sin !

Rom 6:18,22

Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

All for whom Christ died are made free from sin, that is just one of the many accomplishments of His Cross, and not the will of man !

Now, Paul is not saying that all whom Christ died are made free from sinning, that's impossible while we remain in these bodies of sin Rom 7:17-20 is the experience of every true Child of God:

17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Then how are those Christ died for free from sin ?

They are made free from the guilt of sin [consciously] by the blood of Christ. You see under the Old Covenant System,those sacrifices were not geared to remove the guilt of sin consciously, for it [guilt] would return and so offerings were made annually, but not so with Faith in Christ's blood, the guilt is purged Heb 9:9

9Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

Heb 10:1-2

1For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

Heb 9:14

14How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Those Christ died for will come to the realization by a work of the Holy Spirit, that their guilt for sin has been effectually dealt with by the blood of Christ !

Ps 103:10-12

10He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

11For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.

12As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

God given Faith rests in this fact ! 5

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #363

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #361]

See post 360, I explained.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #364

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:53 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #361]
In posting #360, Brightfame52 wrote:So faith/believing isn't an condition to get salvation, but a byproduct of already having been given Salvation on behalf of Christ.
Christianity divides mankind into two groups -- those who believe in Christ as their Savior and those who do not.

In John 3:16, Jesus Christ states that believers shall have everlasting life and nonbelievers shall perish. So one must believe in Jesus as a prerequisite to receiving everlasting life according to the scriptures -- which contradicts your statement that belief in Jesus is unnecessary.

And to this date, no one has "been given Salvation on behalf of Christ" as you claim.

Believers are presently heirs unto everlasting life. Our names are written in the Book of Life.

And everyone with their names written in the Book of Life will be born again of the Spirit as an everlasting spiritual being into the Kingdom of God at the Second Coming.

That is when we receive the gift of everlasting life freely given by Jesus to us.

Now you know.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #365

Post by Brightfame52 »

Loosed from our sins !

Rev 1:5

5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

All for whom Christ died washed them from their sins ! The word washed here is the greek word louō:

to bathe, wash

a) of a dead person

b) washing to cleanse blood out of wounds

Some older manuscripts translate the word to loose from our sins. That Ideal is seen with Paul here Rom 6:22

But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

To be set free from sin is not to be made sinlessly perfect, but it means to be set free from unbelief !

This washing, and loosing and being made free from our sins, that is it's dominion is by New Birth. By Christ blood, or because of His Blood shed, His Spirit gives us Life, and this New Life cannot come under the dominion of sin, it cannot become a unbeliever, it is a servant of Him that Created it !

So Christ Blood sets us free from guilt of sin and dominion of sin by providing a New Nature or New Man ! Col 3:10

And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #366

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #364]

So you teach conditional salvation, the scripture doesnt teach that. And as I have been showing, the atoning death of Christ effects Salvation, and Faith, which is part of Salvation. A person is given the gift of faith to believe on Christ for Salvation Phil 1:28-29

28 And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.

29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him,
but also to suffer for his sake;

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #367

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:51 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #364]

So you teach conditional salvation, . . .
We must accept the gift of salvation. You know, the "whosoever believeth" thing.

God is not going to force everlasting life upon anyone. There is that one condition of believing in Christ as one's Saviour.

But that is not what actually saves us, it simply defines those which will be saved:
John 3:16 wrote:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #368

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:49 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:53 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #361]
In posting #360, Brightfame52 wrote:So faith/believing isn't an condition to get salvation, but a byproduct of already having been given Salvation on behalf of Christ.
Christianity divides mankind into two groups -- those who believe in Christ as their Savior and those who do not.

In John 3:16, Jesus Christ states that believers shall have everlasting life and nonbelievers shall perish. So one must believe in Jesus as a prerequisite to receiving everlasting life according to the scriptures -- which contradicts your statement that belief in Jesus is unnecessary.

And to this date, no one has "been given Salvation on behalf of Christ" as you claim.
You are correct. No one is saved forever at this point. Everyone has to endure to the end, and that means the end of the 1,000 year reign of Christ. Everyone who gets eternal life must believe in Jesus Christ. Many will learn about him DURING the thousand-year reign (the Millennial reign). At the end, everyone will choose to go either with Satan or stick with Jehovah and Jesus. As it says in the Scriptures, the ones choosing to go with Satan are destroyed. (Revelation 20: 7-9)

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #369

Post by Brightfame52 »

New Birth !

Rev 1:5-6

5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

The statement has been made that the way Christ looses His People from their sins is by giving them a New Birth, a New Nature Born of God. All for whom Christ shall be birthed into the Kingdom of God by the New Birth, and that is what Jesus meant in Jn 3:3-5

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

In vs 3 above born again, this occurs to everyone Christ died and rose again for, for 1 Pet 1:3

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The Lexham version reads:

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to his great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The ESB :

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

GWT:

Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! God has given us a new birth because of his great mercy. We have been born into a new life that has a confidence which is alive because Jesus Christ has come back to life.

This is being born into His Kingdom, Col 1:13

13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

This is describing the work of the New Birth, then we are delivered from the power of darkness and enter into His Kingdom, as referred to in Jn 3:3-5

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #370

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #367]

You lost me, i dont understand what you talking about, God not forcing folk. Where did that notion come from. Remember Im discussing the accomplishments of the Atonement. Read post 369 please !