How is one saved?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AdHoc
Guru

How is one saved?

Post #1

Post by AdHoc »

Some people say you need to pray the sinner's prayer, some say believe in Jesus... is there a clear instruction from the Bible how to be saved?

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #21

Post by YahDough »

AdHoc wrote:

Some people say you need to pray the sinner's prayer, some say believe in Jesus... is there a clear instruction from the Bible how to be saved?

------------------------------------------------------------------

The complexity of "salvation" can be simplified through obedience to these words of Christ Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith.

Mk:16:16: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #22

Post by puddleglum »

You are saved when you acknowledge a higher existence that is higher then of your ways.
Satanists acknowledge that Satan is higher than they are. Are they saved by this?
I believe the first commandment is to love God. But if you can go to heaven by following the law why did Jesus have to come and die?
If you follow the law you will earn the right to go to heaven and won't need to be saved at all. The problem is that no one except Jesus has ever kept God's commands perfectly.

Perhaps the best Biblical explanation of how to be saved is found in the first four chapters of Romans. In the first two chapters and the first part of the third Paul proves that all of us are sinners and need to be saved. Then in verses 21 to 26 he tells us that Jesus has died to pay for our sins and we can receive salvation as a gift; From that point through the end of chapter four he explains in more detail how we receive this salvation by faith. Starting at chapter five he talks about the results of salvation.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: How is one saved?

Post #23

Post by myth-one.com »

There are two type of beings -- natural and spiritual:
There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. (I Corinthians 15:44)
The characteristic separating natural and spiritual beings is longevity. Natural beings perish while spiritual beings live forever.

All mankind is born as natural beings. All spiritual beings are born of the Spirit:
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6)
The only salvation from the certain death associated with being born as a natural being is to be born again as a spirit. Once that occurs, that human is no longer a natural body -- as he or she will have an immortal spiritual body.

No human is saved until they are born again, and no one will be born again until the Second Coming of Jesus Christ:
And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me... (Revelation 22:12)
==============================================================================
AdHoc wrote:... is there a clear instruction from the Bible how to be saved?
Yes, John 3:16 wrote:For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Notice the future tense! Christians are not saved when they accept Jesus as their Savior. At that time, they have their names written in the Book of Life as heirs of salvation:
Colossians 3:24 wrote:Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
That salvation will be granted when they are born again as spirits:
John 3:5 wrote:Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
The reward of being born again of the Spirit will be granted at the Second Coming:
Revelation 22:12 wrote:And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me . . .
To date there have been zero born again humans in the world!

S.T. Ranger
Sage

Post #24

Post by S.T. Ranger »

AdHoc wrote: Some people say you need to pray the sinner's prayer, some say believe in Jesus... is there a clear instruction from the Bible how to be saved?
Hello Adhoc, I will give this a brief shot.

I experienced a bit of culture shock when I moved further from the city and began visiting fellowships similar to mine. Can you believe that some of them...did not give an invitation? lol

I was used to an invitation being given at the close of a service, where one had the opportunity to profess faith in Christ before the congregation. As I thought on that, I was forced to admit that if people came and continued to come...it evidenced faith in Christ. For the most part, anyway. Some of these fellowships had been in place for a couple hundred years, and I am assuming that this had likely been the tradition since they started.

I have actually ran across those that teach the "Sinner's Prayer" is evil, which, I will be honest, this is about one of the dumbest statements I have run across, but that is just my opinion. While there is, I believe, a danger of presenting someone with a false sense of security, if a fellowship properly disciples, even those that may have given a shallow profession might come, if they continue, to a saving knowledge of Christ. Discipleship is something that I feel is lacking in many fellowships, and I say this concerning the fellowships I have been involved with over the years, but, there are fellowships that are strong in this area.

In short, I neither believe that one should or shouldn't say the sinners prayer, as most conversions are unique in themselves. THere will be those that look at the moment they "officially" turned to Chirst (and I think a public profession says a lot about one's sincerity) as the moment of salvation, but I also think that it is not an absolute in every instance.

As far as a biblical presentation of how one is saved, it seems to me that it is simple enough, in that we see man either respondd or reject to the convicting ministry of the Holy Spirit. I take a position that is not altogether popular with most in mainstream theological ciorcles in that I do not believe men were born again before Pentecost. Christ taught in John 14-16 concerning the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, and we see this tied to Old Testament prophecy concerning the New Covenant, which Christ spoke about at the Last Supper:

Matthew 26:28

King James Version (KJV)

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Just as the teaching He provided concerning the Comforter, there is a prophetic nature to it. He said the Comforter could not come until He returned to Heaven, and in Acts 1 we see the Lord speak of the Promise of the Father (and I will just begin at the start of the chapter and highlight the relevant portions):

Acts 1

King James Version (KJV)

1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,

2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:

3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

There is a lot in this short passage which plays heavily, I believe, into a sound understanding of salvation.

First, understanding that the disciples had not received the Holy Spirit yet helps to put much in the Gospels into a proper persepctive. This explains, for instance, the disciples' seeming ignorance concerning the Person of Christ. Sometimes we shake our heads and think "how could they not know?" The truth is, they could not know because it had not, like when the Kingdom would be restored unto Israel, been meant for them to know. This explains Peter's denial of Christ dying. We say, "But Peter, don't you realize this is what He came to do? He just told you...!"

Paul brings this into perspective by describing the Mystery of Christ as something not previously known because there was a time for this revelation. That revelation came upon Pentecost, I believe, when the "Promise of the Father which they had heard of Christ about" was fulfilled. And we see they were indeed empowered to be witnesses.

Going back to the Lord's teaching, a central passage would concern the convicting ministry which the Comforter would perform:

John 16

King James Version (KJV)

5 But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?

6 But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Christ foretells of what will take place.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

This is the ministry that brings about salvation. Apart from this ministry a man cannot be saved. One can hear the Gospell message, but except God make it real to his heart he will not believe. This is how men are saved, and it is wholly the work of God, though He use others to convey the Gospel message.

Note the next thing the Lord states:

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

Christ told them plainly "I am going to Jerusalem to die," yet they did not understand this. In their minds, like most Jews, expectation of Messiah was that He would "restore the Kingdom unto Israel," returning her to her former glory. After all...this is what was prophecied. Consider Nicodemus: if you consider that in view the Kingdom he has in mind is the literal earthly Kingdom that was long awaited, where Messiah ruled and all was brought to balance, then it makes a little more sense. Many of the teachings of Christ have in view this very kingdom, not the spiritual realm and reign of God in the hearts of His people.

The disciples could not bear that which Christ had to say to them, at that time. But the day was coming when those things would be revealed and they, and we, would understand through the indwelling Spirit of God and His ministry to us as our Teacher.

And I will just include this from this passage:

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Many thngs within these two small verses.

1) The Spirit of Truth will guide us into all truth.

2) He will not speak of Himself.

3) He will show us things to come.

4) He will glorify Christ.

5) He will convey to us that which Chirst would have us to know, that which the disciples could not bear at this time, nor in the roughly three years they sat under His teaching.

There is a parallel in the Law, in that it was meant to teach man, show him his sin, and lead him to Chirst. The Comforter provides a better ministry to us that parallels the ministry of the Law. This applies to both those that are being brought under conviction unto salvation as well as those that are saved. Except He bring a man to belief, repentance, and faith, a man will not be saved. We can preach our hearts out but itwill be of no avail except the Spirit of God speak to the hearts of those we convey the word of God to. Which I am quite sure you are already aware of, but, I mention it because some are not.

As we explore how one is saved we establish that the Spirit of God brings man under conviction, and He does not fail to do so apart from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. The Comforter speaks of and glorifies Christ, and it is to Christ that he leads a man. The Gospel message is the only message that will save. Any other gospel, no matter how similar it seems, will not do it. It is central to the Gospel that Christ died, was buried, and raised again. That He died in our place to pay the penalty of sin for us is what we place our faith in.

Okay, that is a basic run-through of how I see men are saved. Much more could be said, of course, but I am about out of time so will just hope that might be enough to spark conversation.

God bless.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #25

Post by myth-one.com »

S.T. Ranger wrote:As we explore how one is saved we establish that the Spirit of God brings man under conviction, and He does not fail to do so apart from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. The Comforter speaks of and glorifies Christ, and it is to Christ that he leads a man. The Gospel message is the only message that will save.
So no one could be saved until after Jesus Christ made salvation possible.

S.T. Ranger
Sage

Post #26

Post by S.T. Ranger »

myth-one.com wrote:
S.T. Ranger wrote:As we explore how one is saved we establish that the Spirit of God brings man under conviction, and He does not fail to do so apart from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. The Comforter speaks of and glorifies Christ, and it is to Christ that he leads a man. The Gospel message is the only message that will save.
Great question, Myth. The answer relies on distinguishing salvation as it is progressively revealed in scripture. While men could be declared just and righteous before the Cross, that does not change the fact that their sins had not been atoned for the temporary atonement provided through sacrifice. One of the questions I posed to you in other thread asked...

Hebrews 10:10-14

King James Version (KJV)

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
[/size]

...what does this mean?

"Perfection" has, like sanctification, two primary applications in scripture: there is a positional application, such as v.10 shows that we are sacntified once, and there is a progressive sanctification whereby we are continually being made holy, conformed to the image of Christ. It doesn't happen overnight, but being made sons of God because we are born again into His family, and from there we begin the growth process.

"Perfection" also can be seen to have a twofold application, but here we see that those that are sanctified by the death of Christ are made perfect, or more properly, complete, forever.

We can apply that completion to atonement, for that is the context of ch.10. Atonement has been made, it need not be repeated as the sacrifice of Levitical Practice was.

So when did the sacrifice of Christ become applicable to the believer? Faith in God was general in the Old Testament, as the Mystery of Christ was still...a mystery. Biblically defined this speaks of that which was not previously revealed. We can see in the Gospels that the disciples did not understand, nor could they bear it, nor had...Christ died yet.

The writer will go on, in ch.11, to speak of the great faith of the Old Testament saints. He will conclude with this:

Hebrews 11:39-40

King James Version (KJV)

39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Does the writer suggest that we have received something they would not? No, it is just a matter of they would not receive it...without us. Or, in other words, they had to wait until the time of fulfillment. They too were made complete, but not before they died. It was not until the Cross of Christ that it could be said that sacrifice had been made complete, leaving no further need for even a single sacrifice to be added. Christ's sacrifice sanctifies ONCE, and by this sacrifice the believer is made complete...FOREVER.

I highly recommend the Book of Hebrews for study. It clarifies the role of the First Covenant in relation to the New Covenant. The New is superior to the First in all things.

So the answer to your question...

So no one could be saved until after Jesus Christ made salvation possible

...is of course they were saved, but not in the New Testament sense, in that their salvation was not complete. We can expect to find the faithful of God in Heaven, because they were justified by their faith. We understand that God has made it clear in His word that "there is none righteous, no...not one." THis applies to both Old and New Testament saints. Their righteousness is not based on their works or efforts, but imputed by God.

While being born again occurs to everyone that places their faith in Christ, we are hard pressed to 1) find an Old Testament example of a born again believer; 2) negate the prophetic nature of the teaching of the new birth as taught by both the Old Testament and Christ, not to mention we see that it was clearly not a revealed knowledge before Pentecost. This is why I posted the numerous verses dealing with regeration.

Those "saved" before the Cross and Pentecost were saved, however, they were not made perfect, or complete, without us. We say oftentimes they were "saved on credit," and that is an understandable way to put it. However, salvation in Christ carries with it the Promise of the Father, that He would put His Spirit within us, and this indwelling is...permanent. Not like the ministry of God in the lives of Old Testament saints.

Christ's death and resurrection makes that possible, and now that it has been made, those in Christ are saved completely.

Jesus is the Author (originator) and...the Finisher of our faith.

Hebrews 12

King James Version (KJV)

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

...not we ourselves.

"Finisher" could be translated "perfector" or "completer." We can rest in Him, for He will finish the work He has begun in us.

Philippians 1:6

King James Version (KJV)

6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Our faith in this is no different than the faith possessed by those before Christ came, however, we have the advantage of being of faith after the salvific work of Christ was accomplished and having revealed unto us the Mystery of Christ, whereby we can become able ministers of the New Covenant.

God bless.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #27

Post by myth-one.com »

myth-one.com wrote:
I'll guess your answer was "yes, people could be saved prior to Jesus' sacrifice."

So what happens to all who were not saved?

Where is the "living" part of them -- soul or spirit or whatever?

S.T. Ranger
Sage

Post #28

Post by S.T. Ranger »

myth-one.com wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:
I'll guess your answer was "yes, people could be saved prior to Jesus' sacrifice."
The answer was indeed yes. They were saved just as people are saved today, by grace through faith. The Subject of faith is more detailed in the Work and Person of Christ, whereas in the Old Testament before the revelation of the Mystery of Christ (which, if you think about it, was still not in evidence after the Cross during the time Christ showed Himself alive to the disciples, and I base that on the interaction between the Lord and the disciples, particularly the two on the Road to Emmaus and their words to Christ on the Day of Ascension) there was a general "faith in God," as evidenced by the writer of Hebrews when he discusses the first, or basic principles of the oracles (or word) of God under the Law:

Hebrews 6

King James Version (KJV)

1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

The foundational principles of Christ as found in the Old Testament were not specific as to the Person of Christ. The disciples, for example, as well as men such as Nicodemus, did not understand the work of the Cross and because of that could not place specific faith in Him. Faith that He was the prohesied Messiah, yes, but they still expected that the Kingdom of God, promised by God, would at any minute be revealed. Rome would be defeated and the Kingdom restored to Israel as was promised in prophecy.

So their faith in God translated to faith in Christ though the faith they had in Messiah was more temporal than spiritual. Much of the Old Testament, because it had a focus on the temporal, concealed the Mystery of Christ. We can in retrospect see Christ in the word given, but that is due to the fact that we have a more compete word of revelation than they had.
myth-one.com wrote:
So what happens to all who were not saved?
An issue of great debate among believers. And while there are a number of Theologians that I respect greatly that take the position that the just have always gone to be with the Lord in Heaven when they died, I myself believe that like as in the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus, before the Cross men went to what is usually called Hades. When the Lord said "This day you will be with me in Paradise," He was referring to the term used for the part of Hades where the just were housed. Lazarus went into "The Bosom of Abraham," where Abraham himself is said to be in the story. The Rich Man went into torment, and it is here that I believe the unjust go when they die, and will do so until they are cast into the Lake of Fire at the end of the Millennial Kingdom and just prior to the establishment of the New Heavens and Earth.

Terms from the culture of that day are used, however, we would have to suppose Christ was giving false teaching if we take a position that the concept illustrated in the story was not true. Even if one considers it a parable, just as in all parables what is represented is truth. Not misinformation.

myth-one.com wrote:
Where is the "living" part of them -- soul or spirit or whatever?

They go into the spiritual realm. Hades is, I believe, part of the spiritual realm which cannot be reached by mortal man. He could fly a spaceship for millions of miles, and millions of years, and never get any closer than he was when he started. But at death he is instantaneously transported into that realm, his destination dependant upon what he does with the gospel. Whether it is the gospel received by those before the revelation of the Mystery of Christ, as spoken of here...

Hebrews 4

King James Version (KJV)

1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

...or the specific Gospel of Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again, the will of God has always been for the benefit of man, and all men are given opportunity to respond to that which God has offered to them.

God bless.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #29

Post by myth-one.com »

myth-one.com wrote:So what happens to all who were not saved?
S.T. Ranger wrote:The Rich Man went into torment, and it is here that I believe the unjust go when they die, and will do so until they are cast into the Lake of Fire at the end of the Millennial Kingdom and just prior to the establishment of the New Heavens and Earth.
myth-one.com wrote:Where is the "living" part of them -- soul or spirit or whatever?
S.T. Ranger wrote:They go into the spiritual realm. Hades is, I believe, part of the spiritual realm which cannot be reached by mortal man.
Then they feel no pain and there is no eternal torture.

Only the physical body feels physical pain.

S.T. Ranger
Sage

Post #30

Post by S.T. Ranger »

myth-one.com wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:So what happens to all who were not saved?
S.T. Ranger wrote:The Rich Man went into torment, and it is here that I believe the unjust go when they die, and will do so until they are cast into the Lake of Fire at the end of the Millennial Kingdom and just prior to the establishment of the New Heavens and Earth.
myth-one.com wrote:Where is the "living" part of them -- soul or spirit or whatever?
S.T. Ranger wrote:They go into the spiritual realm. Hades is, I believe, part of the spiritual realm which cannot be reached by mortal man.
Then they feel no pain and there is no eternal torture.

Only the physical body feels physical pain.
Is it the physical body that produces grief for the death of a loved one? Is that response merely an organic electro-mechanical response to particvular stimuli?

The picture of Hell as a writhing mass of screaming people is a Hollywood concept. As believers, my friend, we understand better than Hollywood that sorrow and torment has more depth than simply physical cause. Sorrow for sin and the torment it brings to the sincere believer cannot be understood in graphic pictures of endless flames. When we walk close with the Lord we have peace. When we stray there is a conviction which the world cannot understand. And they will not understand until judgment.

No-one I know relishes the Doctrine of everlasing punishment. I usually do not broach the subject myself, but only respond when it is brought up. There should be a central focus in our ministries of the Cross of Christ. Most can understand, even on a basic level, sin. It amazes me how some will kick against this goad so vehemently, denying sin in their lives. I mean, really...how difficult is it for one to admit they are not perfect?

Doctrines such as soul sleep and annihilation have become ever increasingly popular in Modern Christendom. Once rejected wholescale except by a few groups, these days you will find this belief even among groups which would surprise us.

Just as in the issue of evolution, where we have brothers that embrace a Theistic Evolution view, we can spend our time debating these issues (and I enjoy that for the most part) or we can have for a central focus the Cross of Christ and salvation. We have to understand that there are going to be those that are going to disagree with us on certain issues, but can we not be dogmatic that if the Gospel of Christ is not the Gospel of scripture, then we have an issue which truly divides us?

So it is my view that as brothers, despite differences concerning some doctrines, if we focus on salvation we become better ministers of the New Covenant. Sometimes the divisive issues completely obscure the obhective we should have, leaving us no more than those that argue, rather than having a central focus.

And if we study salvation, we will find that some of the issues we debate are cleared up by reason of use.

Okay, have to get going.

God bless.