How are we to be like God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AdHoc
Guru

How are we to be like God?

Post #1

Post by AdHoc »

If you can only use one word to describe a characteristic of God that we should follow as an example what word would you use?

And why do you choose that word?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: How are we to be like God?

Post #61

Post by Checkpoint »

myth-one.com wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: Good stuff, Pinseeker, right on the button.

But, my friend, why on earth did y0u not say something like this (about saved now, being saved, and finally saved then), to myth-one on another thread?

Sorry to have to ask you that, but it did mark a sad end to your exchange with him.

Grace and peace to you and yours.
About being saved, PinSeeker wrote:Justification happens at the point we are saved. In the justifying sense -- being declared righteous, having the righteousness of Christ imputed to you -- is a once and for all thing which happens at the time we become Christians. In this sense, we have been saved, because our salvation is secure.
Had PinSetter said something like the above to me, I would corrected him by quoting what Jesus said about man entering the spiritual Kingdom of God.

Here is what Jesus said about being saved:
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. (John 3:5-7)
No one is saved until they are born again of the Spirit as a spirit.

There are two type of bodies -- natural and spiritual. Natural succumb to death. Spiritual bodies live forever.

So to overcome death (you know, the wages of sin) one must be born a second time as an immortal spiritual being which cannot die.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6)
Man is born of the flesh as flesh, and will perish.

Spirits are born of the Spirit (John 4:24 God is a Spirit), and live forever.

Humans die, spirits do not.

If you are a human who wants to live forever, there is only one way to do so -- you must be born again as a spirit.

Only then can one correctly claim that they have been SAVED from the wages of sin.
But scripture says also, we "are saved", present tense!

What Pinseeker said is correct and biblical, and what you say is also correct and biblical.

How can that be?

You two are writing about and majoring on two different aspects, Pinseeker on the faith walk process, and you on the final reality, when faith becomes sight.

Nobody can be born without first being generated and conceived, and then finally born some nine months later.

Nobody can be born again without first being begotten from above.
Last edited by Checkpoint on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #62

Post by PinSeeker »

Checkpoint wrote: You two are writing about and majoring on two different aspects, Pinseeker on the faith walk process, and you on the final reality, when faith becomes sight.
Well, actually, I'm acknowledging both aspects as equally true and wonderful. He's... not, unfortunately.

Grace and peace to you both. And to those who remain blind.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #63

Post by Checkpoint »

marco wrote:
PinSeeker wrote:

So with regard to "have been saved" and "are being saved," it's a both-and thing, not an either-or. This is what we call the "golden chain" of salvation: predestination, the inner call, justification, glorification. All are works of God in us by His Spirit. Paul gives it to us in Romans 8:30 -- "...these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified."
I wonder if it is possible to speak like this and possess a mobile phone or a television. I smile at "the golden chain of salvation" but I recall Tennyson wrote in his magnificent Morte d'Arthur

"For so the whole round earth is every way
Bound by gold chains about the feet of God." That was imaginative and beautifully expressed.
We have to forgive Paul his ignorance; he lived in an age of superstition and seemed to have been unaffected by the writings of clever Romans, preferring his own arrogance. How on earth does a dreamer know anything about a divinity ordaining predestination, justification and glorification?

We are no closer to heaven, it seems, than we were in the Dark Ages.
e]
You illustrated your point and your position well.

Just the same old same old that has been throughout history.

Division over who is what and what is what.

Claims and aspersions such as "ignorance", "clever", and "arrogance".

Not exactly how any of us might become "closer to heaven", methinks.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #64

Post by PinSeeker »

[Replying to post 61 by Checkpoint]

There truly is nothing new under the sun.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #65

Post by myth-one.com »

Checkpoint wrote:But scripture says also, we "are saved", present tense!
So you are already saved? You are an immortal spiritual bodied being?

If so, then you are already like God and the angels.

The scriptures state that you are still a human, and an heir unto salvation as a believer in Jesus as your Savior..
Checkpoint wrote:What Pinseeker said is correct and biblical, and what you say is also correct and biblical.

How can that be?

You two are writing about and majoring on two different aspects, Pinseeker on the faith walk process, and you on the final reality, when faith becomes sight.
No one is saved by any "faith walk process."

One is saved by being born again as a Spirit. It's an actual one time future event.
Checkpoint wrote:Nobody can be born without first being generated and conceived, and then finally born some nine months later.

Nobody can be born again without first being begotten of God.
You're describing humans. Yes, that is true. The birth of humans is a birth of water. We are 70% water and carried in the womb in water.

The second birth awaiting Christians at the Second Coming is a birth of spiritual bodied beings.

We will become equal unto the angels.

=======================================

The definition of Christians being born again at the resurrection is in First Corinthians:
So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. (I Corinthians 15:42-44)
This scripture is not complicated.

The Christian body that is sown is corruptible, dishonored, weak, and a natural body. This is the physical body which is buried like a seed, or sown, when we die.

At the resurrection, Christians are raised up as incorruptible, glorified, powerful, spiritual bodies.

It is a real event.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #66

Post by Checkpoint »

PinSeeker wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: You two are writing about and majoring on two different aspects, Pinseeker on the faith walk process, and you on the final reality, when faith becomes sight.
Well, actually, I'm acknowledging both aspects as equally true and wonderful. He's... not, unfortunately.

Grace and peace to you both. And to those who remain blind.
I guess - he may surprise us yet!
The Lord bless and keep you.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #67

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: No one is saved by any "faith walk process."
Nobody said that. But this faith-walk process" is the means through which God effects our full salvation and brings us to it. And one cannot walk without having first been born.
myth-one.com wrote: One is saved by being born again as a Spirit.
No, one is saved when one is no longer dead in his/her sin:
  • "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead..." [1 Peter 1:3]
myth-one.com wrote: It's an actual one time future event.
For believers, it's an actual one time past event. Our glorification is a future event, but it is guaranteed, absolutely certain, and cannot be lost, because it is of God, not of man:
  • "...an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." [1 Peter 1:4-5]

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #68

Post by PinSeeker »

Checkpoint wrote: I guess - he may surprise us yet!
Love the optimism... :)
Checkpoint wrote: The Lord bless and keep you.
And you also. Grace and peace!

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #69

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote:
  • "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead..." [1 Peter 1:3]
Being "born again to a living hope" saves no one.
Regarding being born again as a spirit, Myth-one.com wrote:It's an actual one time future event.
To which PinSetter wrote:For believers, it's an actual one time past event. Our glorification is a future event, but it is guaranteed, absolutely certain, and cannot be lost, because it is of God, not of man:

"...an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." [1 Peter 1:4-5]
You claim being born again as a spirit is a past event, then quote a scripture proving it will be a future event.

You're confused again.

I'm the one claiming that salvation is an inheritance reserved in heaven to be revealed in the last time.

You've proved my claim!

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #70

Post by brianbbs67 »

Its not a one and done thing. Its a life long process.

James said show me your faith, I will show my work. Faith without works is Dead.

Can we fall from our secure position?

Peter taught so: 2 Peter 3:14-18.