None good but God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

None good but God

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #91

Post by Wootah »

tam wrote: Peace again to you,
Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 88 by tam]

Define: none good but God.

Apart from God how many does that include?

Did Jesus include himself in none?

"Why do you call ME good..."

I wonder, Wootah, if there is any chance of you answering any of the questions that I ask you? Or even just your own OP question? We are nine pages in after all.
Obviously Jesus is God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Post #92

Post by tam »

Peace to you!
Wootah wrote:
tam wrote: Peace again to you,
Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 88 by tam]

Define: none good but God.

Apart from God how many does that include?

Did Jesus include himself in none?

"Why do you call ME good..."

I wonder, Wootah, if there is any chance of you answering any of the questions that I ask you? Or even just your own OP question? We are nine pages in after all.
Obviously Jesus is God.

Thank you for responding to the question!

Then I will refer you back to post 5 on page 1:

viewtopic.php?p=987164#987164

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Wootah
Savant

Post #93

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 92 by tam]

Jesus did not say he was not good. He said only God is good.

tam
Savant

Post #94

Post by tam »

Peace again to you!

[Replying to post 93 by Wootah]

He clearly differentiated between Himself and God:

"Why do you call me good? There are none good but God alone."

Wootah
Savant

Post #95

Post by Wootah »

tam wrote: Peace again to you!

Why do you call me good?

This means Jesus agrees he is good but is asking why the young man thinks that way.

For example:

W: Tam I think you are gracious.
T: Why do you think I am gracious?
W: You always try to be nice when debating.

Your comment does not mean you don't think you are or are not gracious. But you are asking why I think that way.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #96

Post by PinSeeker »

He clearly differentiated between Himself and God
No He didn't. He said nothing about Himself -- explicitly. Implicitly, He said, "Yes, I am good -- because I, along with the Father, am God. You just don't know what you're really saying/asking." Much like He said on the cross, "Forgive them, Father, because they know not what they do." Except it was more than that; He was pushing the young man to fully realize the import of what he was saying/asking. Whether he did come to realize that or not we know not.

Grace and peace to all.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #97

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: PinSeeker said:
Very interesting that you quote this verse. Do you think anyone is claiming Jesus is greater than the Father? Surely not... "nor is one that is sent (He, Jesus) greater than the one (the Father) that send Him (Jesus)." But neither is He lesser. This is EXACTLY what Jesus is saying here, that He and the Father are equal in deity.
That's kind of akward ... since he said the Father is greater than I am too. It looks that some people don't know how to harmonize Jesus' teachings and arrive to the right conclusion ... or maybe they do know, but don't want to, because those conclusions are not what they want to believe.
I agree. Why do you refuse to do that?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #98

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: I supported what I said in the context I said it.
Right, In your flawed opinion, you did. Sure.
Eloi wrote: ...there's not need to be a theologian or anything like that; we only need to be honest with ourself to accept the real conclusions ...
I agree with this, too. Again, why do you not do that?

Wootah
Savant

Post #99

Post by Wootah »

Hi Tam

I want to be as fair as possible.

If you asked me or I asked you 'Why do you call me good?' When I answer I would say 'Only God is good' meaning I am not good. That is why I can't pay for my sins or anyones. IfJesus is not good he can't do it either.

Unless Jesus is God in the flesh, and therefore good, his death on the cross cannot pay for our sins.

Where can I read about this sinful flesh teaching online? Which group teaches that? It sounds gnostic in genesis.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #100

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Wootah]
Wootah said:
Unless Jesus is God in the flesh, and therefore good, his death on the cross cannot pay for our sins.
That is only your conclussion, but that is not correct.
Jesus said what he said, and it is clear: he marked a line among God and himself ... He didn't say: Ok, you said it right, I am good because I am God. ... and that is what you are saying, and that is not what Jesus said. Do you realize that you are twisting what Jesus really said and saying the opposite?

Jesus said "only God is good" but he said also WHY ME? Only God is ... ... so he is no way saying that he is God. What he said has nothing to do with being a good sacrifice. That is why I said before, an orange can be good, but is not good for certain things ... Jesus is good, but not as God is, and that has nothing to do with him being a good sacrifice. Actually, he is a sacrifice TO GOD, so how is it that it is necessary for him to be God for him to be a good sacrifice TO GOD?