Moderator: Moderators

BirdofPrey
Student

How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #1

Post by BirdofPrey »

Romans 10:13
For, "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."
What does call on the name mean ? How do you call on a name ?

Faith Leads to Knowledge
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Faith Leads to Knowledge »

bigbob789

Post #3

Post by bigbob789 »

"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." implies that we are lost, and cannot be saved unless we call on the name of the Lord. Just to make things clear, saved from what? Being saved means to be saved from sin and its consequences. Being lost means to be separated from God because of your sin (see Isaiah 59). God has provided a way for us to be saved from sin and to be reunited with Him by sending the Lord Jesus to die on the cross for our sin; as an offering on our behalf to take our punishment. So to receive the forgiveness which God makes available through Jesus you need to "call on the name of the Lord".

Imagine you are sleeping in a burning building when you suddenly awake and realize that there is no way out. You run to the window and see that there is a firefighter with a ladder next to the building. What do you do? You yell your lungs out in desperation for the firefighter to save you. When he reaches you, you need to put your trust in the firefighter to save you.

The same is true for our lives. You are born in this world, and "sleeping" because you do not see the danger of the sin around and in you. However, once you become aware of your sin and the fact that you are under God's judgment, you cry in your heart, "what must I do to be saved?" God has provided a way for us to be saved, and only He has the ability to save us. We must forsake everything else and cry out to the Lord Jesus to save us. Similar to the firefighter, God cannot save you if you are not willing to put your faith and trust in Him.

So, in short, calling on the name of the Lord means to cry out of desperation from your state of sin for God to forgive and save you. You call on his "name", because "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name [the name of Jesus Christ] under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12 (read verse 8-12 for the full context)

The_Student
Student

Re: How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #4

Post by The_Student »

BirdofPrey wrote:Romans 10:13
For, "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."
What does call on the name mean ? How do you call on a name ?
Let's read the context of the verse...

Romans 10:12

For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him

In our time are there Jew and Greeks? Isn't it the Christian era now? agreed?

Romans 10:13

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

So there will be no difference between the Jew and the Greek meaning anyone who has faith that call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans 10:14

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

How to call on the Lord's name?

do you mean how to pray?

led by the spirit
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by led by the spirit »

Yer just dealin wit an outdated language.Nowadays itd be like sayin hey Father pleeze hep me or God forgive me.......etc.etc.....

BirdofPrey
Student

Post #6

Post by BirdofPrey »

led by the spirit wrote:Yer just dealin wit an outdated language.Nowadays itd be like sayin hey Father pleeze hep me or God forgive me.......etc.etc.....
I like that. It sounds sound and right. I wouldn't mind some evidence though. I speak several languages and in all these translations, they call on a NAME. They don't call for help from the Lord, per-se. It might be the same thing, but why emphasize the name instead of the person ?

BirdofPrey
Student

Post #7

Post by BirdofPrey »

bigbob789 wrote:"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." implies that we are lost, and cannot be saved unless we call on the name of the Lord. Just to make things clear, saved from what? Being saved means to be saved from sin and its consequences. Being lost means to be separated from God because of your sin (see Isaiah 59). God has provided a way for us to be saved from sin and to be reunited with Him by sending the Lord Jesus to die on the cross for our sin; as an offering on our behalf to take our punishment. So to receive the forgiveness which God makes available through Jesus you need to "call on the name of the Lord".
This would actually translate "receive" or "accept" Jesus as your savior... into something doable. Despite the fact that I don't see why there's need for extra action, receiving, accepting, believing on our side.
Imagine you are sleeping in a burning building when you suddenly awake and realize that there is no way out. You run to the window and see that there is a firefighter with a ladder next to the building. What do you do? You yell your lungs out in desperation for the firefighter to save you. When he reaches you, you need to put your trust in the firefighter to save you.
I have trouble to understand how what I'm supposed to imagine models at least the side of reality that matters in this context. He knew I needed help before I was born. I yelled enough. Now suppose he reaches me... what does that mean ? Let's say I jump... what does that mean ? I mean putting my faith in the firefighter to save me - which translates as ignoring my fears since they are of no use anyhow, and this guy is a firefighter so why would I NOT trust him ? Wasn't yelling supposed to be enough ? If we can't see each other, put my trust into what ? The firefighter might be at the wrong window. If I need to rely on trust, maybe I should wait until he at least signals somehow that he is in position, if I can afford that without burning to ashes. Not that jumping into nothing would have any meaning.
The same is true for our lives. You are born in this world, and "sleeping" because you do not see the danger of the sin around and in you. However, once you become aware of your sin and the fact that you are under God's judgment, you cry in your heart, "what must I do to be saved?"
Never had any other option, right ?
God has provided a way for us to be saved, and only He has the ability to save us. We must forsake everything else and cry out to the Lord Jesus to save us. Similar to the firefighter, God cannot save you if you are not willing to put your faith and trust in Him.

Again, weren't yelling, calling the Lord's name supposed to be enough ?
So, in short, calling on the name of the Lord means to cry out of desperation from your state of sin for God to forgive and save you. You call on his "name", because "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name [the name of Jesus Christ] under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12 (read verse 8-12 for the full context)
What I read in Acts 4:1-12 leads me to think, by what name means, by who's authority. So shall we call on his authority ?

BirdofPrey
Student

Re: How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #8

Post by BirdofPrey »

The_Student wrote:Romans 10:13

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

So there will be no difference between the Jew and the Greek meaning anyone who has faith that call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

It says whosoever, anyone. Why do you restrict this to believers ?
Romans 10:14

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Perhaps they could try. While I understand that you can't call on someone without identifying him somehow.... and thus hearing is crucial, knowing about Him making addressing possible, I don't see how lack of faith would hinder you, unless we're not talking about lack of faith, but not believing that they ought to call on Him or have anything to gain in doing so. But this still wouldn't stop me from trying, since even if it might not work, what do I got to loose ? I don't think faith is a magic ingredient... lacking of which would render the calling useless. It could hinder the act of calling from happening, as in, not being able to develop the intention, like earlier not being able to address, point, did.

But wait a second. It just struck me. Verse 14 is talking about calling on Him. Ooops. And I think we agree it's the same thing.
How to call on the Lord's name?

do you mean how to pray?
Maybe. Calling on Him or on the name of the Lord might be the same thing. I still don't know how to do it, and recently I got the idea that you might even need to mean Lord, when you address Him. You can't call on Him unless you think of Him as Lord. That would also explain why you'd need to believe in order to call.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
If you need to believe before you can get help, this isn't very helpful... :(
"hey Father pleeze hep me"
? Not so sure, if I were you...

So, as I still don't feel I have an answer. How do you call on the Lords name properly again ?

mazzaroth
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by mazzaroth »

2.2 billion christians will all have different interpritations on it.....all correct by the way.

Toshab

Calling on His Named Defined

Post #10

Post by Toshab »

It's important when dealing with Scripture to make sure that you define Biblical words and phrases in a manner that is in sync with Scripture.

For example: most people when defining what faith is jump over to Hebrews 11:1 where "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (NIV). This is a great definition of Biblical faith because it is a word defined by the wording of the Bible.

Now where do we find a scriptural definition for "calling on his name"? In Acts 22 Paul is speaking to the crowd at Jerusalem after being arrested. In recalling and retelling his story of his conversion on the road to Damascus, he tells of Ananias coming to see him with a message from God. Part of that message was, in v. 16, "Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name." The Bible, here, states that baptism is how we call on the the name of the Lord, thus equating the two.

Also in Acts 2, after the Holy Spirit has been poured out on the apostles, Peter gets up and quotes Joel 2:28-32. The last statement of quotation from that verse is "And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (Acts 2:21). The obvious question to be asked by any Jew hearing their prophet being quoted is "Who is the Lord? and how do I call on His name? In verses 22-35 of Acts 2 Peter argues who this Jesus is and concludes with the statement "Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ" (v. 36).

The "who is the Lord?" question has been answered, but the question still remains: how do we call on his name (which is what the People were asking in verse 37)? Peter responds to this question by replying, "Repent and be baptized..." Again, Scripture equates "calling on His name" with baptism.

This fits with the context of Romans 10, where Paul begins by wishing that the Israelites would be saved, implying that they are not. Verse 9 is dealing with how one person is saved (see the end of the verse). Therefore, we are saved when we call on the Lord's name in faithful baptism (or immersion, which is the Greek definition).