Moderator: Moderators

BirdofPrey
Student

How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #1

Post by BirdofPrey »

Romans 10:13
For, "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."
What does call on the name mean ? How do you call on a name ?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Calling on His Named Defined

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

Toshab wrote:For example: most people when defining what faith is jump over to Hebrews 11:1 where "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (NIV). This is a great definition of Biblical faith because it is a word defined by the wording of the Bible.
But if you look at it, it is not a definition but a description of faith.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Jonah
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Jonah »

I don't think that is correct McCulloch in the sense that Toshab is pointing out that religion has its own in-house language. What would appear or seem to those outside to be general and merely descriptive, is often specific in-house. So, Toshab has given a good example of a term that would appear to the outsider to be general (calling on the name), when in reality it is a specific sacramental term.

There are many such instances of this between religion and secular spheres. Often times, an understanding of the specific nature of a term has been lost, and there is scholarly dispute over what the term originally meant. The book of Revelation is this dilemma to the max.

In other situations the structural context of texts is not apparent to secular folks, whereas it's part and parcel of the business for the religious. How many secular people understand the Johannine competition with gnosticism or 2nd Moses motif structure of Matthew?

Heterodoxus
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Heterodoxus »

When calling "on the name of the Lord," be mindful of what you might conjure up!
[center]"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is properly your god."[/center]
[right]~Martin Luther, Large Catechism 1.1-3.
[/right]

BirdofPrey
Student

Re: Calling on His Named Defined

Post #14

Post by BirdofPrey »

Toshab wrote:Now where do we find a scriptural definition for "calling on his name"? In Acts 22 , in v. 16, "Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name." The Bible, here, states that baptism is how we call on the the name of the Lord, thus equating the two.
Well, thank you for posting ! It seems you signed up just for this... I really like what you're saying, but, after checking with multiple translations, I have to conclude that either they don't know how to translate this, or there's no equating in the original either. I'm not sure if there's an equation or not... The way I understand things, that verse says, wash away your sins calling on his name in addition...

Regarding the rest of the verses I can't follow at all...
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
What shall we do, is "how do we call the Lords name" ? How did that happen ?
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
You might be right with what you say, but I fail to follow... :confused2:

noonespecial

The Name

Post #15

Post by noonespecial »

The Name has been hidden from us. "Lord" and "God" are titles, not names.

Hebrew transcripts of the Tanakh maintain what is known as the Tetragrammaton:
יהוה
"This is My Name forever, and this is My remembrance to all generations."
(Exodus/Shemoth 3:15 ISR)

The characters, when transliterated into English, become YHWH. Unfortunately, in Hebrew, most vowels are not written. Most agree on the pronunciation "Yahweh." His name appears at least 6,823 times in the Tanakh.

He is fairly adamant about the usage of His Name. In fact, a literal translation of the third commandment (Ex. 20:7) from the Institute for Scripture Research (2009) reads: "You do not bring the Name of YHWH your Elohim to naught, for YHWH does not leave the one unpunished who brings His Name to naught."

In replacing His Name with so-called dynamic equivalences, like Lord and God, we break the third commandment!

The simple fact of the matter is that names are not translated. Mr. Green does not become Mr. Verde the second he steps foot into Italy, does he?

The same thing happened to Jesus.
יהושע
This is our Messiah's name. When transliterated, it becomes Yahshua, which means Yahweh saves.

Look into the matter yourselves.

Mikeymike19912010
Banned
Banned

Re: How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #16

Post by Mikeymike19912010 »

BirdofPrey wrote:Romans 10:13

It's time to lift the veil of misunderstanding and expose these spurious fraudsters so to provide the truth to the people who want to be proper, untainted Christians. Now I don't want to derogate or upset anyone but rather be academically correct in what we know to be impartially true! And everybody deserves the truth! Orthodox Christianity and catholicism is false and are plagiarised counterfeits masquerading as Gods servants,  their travesty teaches Jesus died on a cross, this is actually a pagan adaptation mocking Christianity and is totally false. The cross is a pagan astrological symbol and was used by pagans long before Christians and was adopted from  the  pagan star constellation "crux" and also appears in the centre of the zodiac as the solstices and equinoxes affirming this is a pagan derivative as it long predates christ. No where in the Torah, the Writings, or New Covenant is it even suggested that a cross should be observed, let alone worn; it is a form of PAGANISM.  To have or to observe and bear a cross is to elevate paganism above YHVH (יְהֹוָה)  (Jehovah) who commands us not to put any other god before him. Would you hang a replica or an image of an instrument from your neck if your child or loved one was killed by it? I would hope not. What purpose would it serve? This is actually an insidious way to get people inadvertently worshiping Satan .Jesus actually died on a torture steak as the original gospels written in Greek used the word "stauros" to refer to the structure used for his execution. This word means a vertical pole with no crossbar. So Jesus may have been hung on a tree (Acts 5:30) (1 Peter 2:24) And can a religion that participates in pagan festivals like Christmas(originally Saturnalia) halloween(Samhain) and Easter really be Christian ? Jesus birthday is no were to be seen in the bible! And it certainly doesn't mention anything about celebrating his resurrection either, these are all man made celebrations invented for selfish desires.  Take a look at the pope and all his other pagan occult symbols like horus, the pagan sun god represented on his staff, the satanic hand gesture he uses,(The "El Diablo) where as the middle finger and ring finger are clenched leaving the pinky and index erect resembling devil horns, This gesture is the Satanic salute, a sign of recognition and allegiance between members of Satanism or other unholy groups and is an excerpt from the "Satanic Bible. He also wears the fish hat referring to Dagon the pagan fish God as worn by Nimrod king of Babylon. Moreover the Vatican's believe in the trinity (defined as "consisting of three parts") which again has lucifirian references due to the fact that three is a very significant number in the occult with it being "the Magic Number" and everybody knows that magic associates itself with sorcery and  witchcraft. Furthermore the number three is represented geo metrically in a triangle which resembles a pyramid and any scholar knows that a pyramid is a satanic emblem of the illuminati occult.  The most refined Christians are the Jehovahs Witnesses hence the word Jehovah ,which is Gods name, father of Jesus, their version of events are most accurate and there is no evidence of pagan tradition or symbols amongst any of their doctrine or customs and has been filtered of any corruption. The pagans, Freemasons ( illuminati), with them being Gods adversary infiltrated the churches and deliberately altered the scriptures removing Gods name in an attempt to deceive and prevent people from forming a close relationship with Jehovah, the true God, they also try to confuse people into thinking Jesus was God but he wasn't he was the son of Jehovah sent as ransom to redeem our sins .Now if we think about it does it make sense for Jesus to pray to himself and remain obedient to himself? Is so then why would he use the pronouns in second person perspective as in "your" instead of "mine"  This suggests he is talking about a separate entity.Jesus never refers to himself as equal to God or describes himself as God and always gives the glory to his father! Would Jehovah really try and confuse his people with such a contradictory concept? 
Also religion that removes and fails to use Gods name and depicts Jesus with long hair cannot be Christian or holy at all as all these things are contrary to the scriptures and everyone knows that the lords prayer said to let his name be sanctified or hallowed be thy name so how can we do this if they keep his name secret by removing it from the scriptures? They have replaced it with Lord which doesn't make sense in many of the contexts , Jehovah gave his name so we could identify him and distinguish him apart from Satan because Satan is also a Lord and a god  and After-all you can't  truly know, or develop an intimate relationship with someone until you exchange names.
Does this not arouse curious suspicion? because it should!
Supporting scriptures:
Jeremiah 23:27
They are thinking of making my people forget my name by means of THEIR dreams that they keep relating each one to the other just as their father forgot my name by means of ba'al
Corinthians 11 :14 
Does not nature its self teach you that if a man has long hair , it is a dishonour to him;
John 17:26 
And I have made your name known to them and will make it known,
Psalm 83:18
That people my know that you whose name is Jehovah.
Psalms 105:3
Make your boast in his holy Name
John 6:38 Because I have come down from heaven to do, not my will but the will of him that sent me 
John 7:16
Exodus 6:3
isiah 26:4
Isiah 12:2
Genesis 22:14
Exodus 17:15

therolanpen
Student

Post #17

Post by therolanpen »

Well. The point is moot. The doctrine is not true.

Jesus said, not everyone who calls upon my name will be saved, but those who DO THE WILL, of the father.

Mikeymike19912010
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Mikeymike19912010 »

therolanpen wrote:

Jesus said, not everyone who calls upon my name will be saved, but those who DO THE WILL, of the father.
Exactly that means that you have to call and exult on the name of Jehovah (יְהֹוָה) and recognise Jesus as our saviour but it's important to give total devotion to Jehovah the almighty sovereign of the universe . Idolizing Jesus would be putting him before Jah which even Jesus himself forbidds!

therolanpen
Student

Post #19

Post by therolanpen »

Mikeymike19912010 wrote:
therolanpen wrote:

Exactly that means that you have to call and exult on the name of Jehovah (יְהֹוָה) and recognise Jesus as our saviour but it's important to give total devotion to Jehovah the almighty sovereign of the universe . Idolizing Jesus would be putting him before Jah which even Jesus himself forbidds!
Jesus calls Jehovah the devil. Jehovah is not the father of Jesus. Jesus is not made in his image. Jehovah kills steals and destroys. Jesus did none of these things. He did the works of his father, who you do not know. Everyone who exults the name of Jehovah dies, because exulting falsehood leads to destruction. Jesus is the son of righteousness and is righteous. Jehovah is sin and teaches men to sin. Jesus is above Jehovah in every respect, but his father, is greater than all.

teddy_trueblood
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by teddy_trueblood »

Joel 2:26, 32 - “And ye ... shall praise the name of Jehovah your God .... And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of Jehovah shall be delivered.� - ASV.
“You WILL ... praise the name of Yahweh your God .... All who call on [‘invoke’ - REB] the name of Yahweh will be saved� - NJB.

Here, like knowing God (Jn 17:3; 2 Thess. 1:8, 9), calling on (or invoking) Jehovah’s name is an essential part of the road that leads to life.

Since it is a requirement to call upon, or invoke the name Jehovah, the knowledge and use of that name IS essential (as made known in the OT at least)! And, like knowing God, “calling upon his name, Jehovah� includes much more than merely pronouncing his name aloud in prayer. But, nevertheless, it does include the knowledge and use of his personal name, Jehovah (or Yahweh).

For example, Elijah, in his famous demonstration of who the only true God is, told the priests of Baal, “Call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of Jehovah: and the God that answers by fire, let him be God.�

So how did the priests of Baal call on the name of their god?

“And they ... called on the name of Baal ... saying ‘O Baal, hear us.’� And how did Elijah call on the name of Jehovah? “O Jehovah .... Hear me, O Jehovah, hear me, that this people may know that thou, Jehovah, art God.... And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, ‘Jehovah, he is God’� - ASV, 1 Ki.18:24, 26, 36-39. - Obviously, calling on (or invoking) the name of Jehovah includes the reverent use of that only personal name of the true God!

Many other scriptures throughout the OT declare the extreme importance (to God and us) of our knowing and declaring and calling upon the name Jehovah. - see
http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com ... f-god.html