Tithes

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Cashro

Tithes

Post #1

Post by Cashro »

I have been very interested in this "Tithe" idea ever since my sister told me that she gives 10% of her and her husband's TOTAL income to the church. This Boggles my mind, My sister is a scientist and her Husband is an Engineer. They make quite a bit of money, so a donation now and then to help out a place they attend every week or so wpuld be fine. But, for them to be duped into believing that they must give 10% of thier income to the church in order to recieve blessings from God is just inane to me. I can not undestand how a scientist and an engineer, both of whom are incrediably intelligent, would just give away 10% of thier income because they are told it is written in the bible. The word "Tithe" appeas 38 times in 32 verses in both the old and new testaments of the King James Verion of the Bible. All I could find in any of these references is that "Tithes" were given unto God, and not unto a priest, or paster, or anyother Man Of God. Where and how are they used? I could understand a community coming together and raising money for a leaky roof in thier church or new pews or organs or something but as far as a mandatory giving, I think that it is merely an interpretation, in order to recieve more money (Collection Plates) than they already do. I mean I knew a pastor who drove around in a brand new Caddilac Escalade, put 3 kids through college and live in a near mansion. Unless this pastor is selling illegal drugs on the side I would say that this Tithe is going into his pocket. I'm sure the government doesn't tax the Tithes, I don't know that for a fact, but I can imagine they don't. If Anyone could help explain where exactly, in any holy book, it says that one would need to give 10% to thier priest and not unto God himself I'd really appreciate it. To me, I was given 2 passages by a mormon I was debating on another site, she said Genesis 28:22 (KJ Ver.), and proverb 3:9 (KJ Ver.). Now Tithe is not listed ineither of these passages but my interpretation of
"I will surely give the tenth unto thee."
, indicates the tenth commandment and not a Tithe. If someone could help me Understand and possibly PROVE where tithes are given unto preists I would be greatly humbled.[/b]

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by hannahjoy »

The Levites received the tithe in lieu of an inheritance.

Numbers 18:20-24
20 And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them: I am thy part and thine inheritance among the children of Israel.
21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.
22 Neither must the children of Israel henceforth come nigh the tabernacle of the congregation, lest they bear sin, and die.
23 But the Levites shall do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they shall bear their iniquity: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations, that among the children of Israel they have no inheritance.
24 But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

The practice is carried on today to provide for full-time Christian workers so that they can spend their time studying the Bible or carrying on the Lord's work. This is in obedience to I Timothy 5:17-18.

5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Now Tithe is not listed ineither of these passages but my interpretation of
"I will surely give the tenth unto thee."

, indicates the tenth commandment and not a Tithe. If someone could help me Understand and possibly PROVE where tithes are given unto preists I would be greatly humbled.
I'm not sure where you get that interpretation, considering the phrase right before that :confused2:.

Genesis 28:22b . . . and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

Hannah Joy
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by BeHereNow »

It seems the discussion assumes tithes are monetary.
My understanding is it is 10% of all one has. Time, talent etc. The money angle is rather narrow.
Any reason I’m not right?

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #4

Post by ENIGMA »

BeHereNow wrote:It seems the discussion assumes tithes are monetary.
My understanding is it is 10% of all one has. Time, talent etc. The money angle is rather narrow.
Any reason I’m not right?
Don't forget to give a tenth of your bodily fluids!!

:P
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

Cashro

oh soooo right

Post #5

Post by Cashro »

Beherenow & Enigma made excellent points I had yet to think about, a tehth of your everything then belongs to the church, not just money. A tenth of your soul, your house, you cars, your blood, your wives or husbands, a tenth of everything. I couln't agree more. Tithes are the most rediculous things I have ever heard of. Giving a enth of something, which the church "Interperates" as income is ohhh soo wrong, if you are willing to give up a tenth of your income then why noot a tenth of you children, or a tenth of your dreams or prayers. I am bewildered by this notion that a thithe is only monetary and nothing else. and I still belive that thite, wich looked up in webster's dictionarry was the only word that had "from translation" written upon it. Go check it out yourself. So if you give tithes don't stop ant money, go for the whole shabang. Give the church, a tenth of your car or house or crop of wheat or corn. why stop at money. Thithes areinterpreted solely for the benfit of the church and nothing else. why can' a thithe be translated into a tenth of you bodily fluids, you know why, Because the church has no use for that, it only needs money, so priests can drive around in Mercedes and have personalized license plates. It serious makes me sick thinking about it. How about just living by good morales and not committing any "sins". Wouldn't that be what God would want? I wonder????

Cashro

Priests And Tithes

Post #6

Post by Cashro »

Still no one has explained to me where priests are to be given the tithes, they walk aroud the subject but no oone can point out a specific passage where priests are to recieve these and not God. I would really be interested in knowing if thithes have ever been meant o reciee the tithes, or if the priests merely interperet it that way so then can literally "steal" a tenth of your income. I mean if ten people gave the priest a tithe he'd be makin about $50,000 a year. for a sunday job, that to me is totally insane. I am completely bewildered. :-k

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by BeHereNow »

They do not give the money to the ministers (of the lord).
They give the money to the “church”.
The church is the embodiment of Christ on earth.
If you donate $75,000 for a new Mercedes, the CEO of Mercedes does not receive your money to keep and spend.
Tithes are used to operate the machinery of the church, including outreach to the poor and unbelievers (I can see they have not spent enough reaching out to you :) ).
The ministers normally receive a specific salary. It would be extremely uncommon and logistically impossible for a minister to skim from the collections. The money is counted by others.
Many of my ministers have had PhD’s. I don’t know what you think a doctorate is worth, but I think it ought to be able to buy a Cadillac.
Does the system go afoul from time to time? Not nearly as much as capitalism is my reply.
You should be questioning the paper trail of that Cadillac more than the minister who owns it.
All money flowing through the church is accountable to church members.

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by hannahjoy »

Still no one has explained to me where priests are to be given the tithes, they walk aroud the subject but no oone can point out a specific passage where priests are to recieve these and not God.
Apparently you missed this the first time I said it, so I'll repeat it . . .
Numbers 18:21,24
21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.
24 But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
The tithe spoken of in the OT was a tenth of their possessions which they received. The reason it is usually monetary today is that we use money more than they did. Most of us don't grow all our food - we earn money and use that to buy what we need, so it makes sense to give the tenth of our money rather than the things we buy with it.
$50,000 a year. for a sunday job, that to me is totally insane
Having grown up in a pastor's home, I can assure you it's not just a "Sunday job".

The offerings are used for much more than the pastor's salary, and if the church is congregational in its polity, the members vote on how the money is spent.

Hannah Joy
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

Cashro

what about all the tenths

Post #9

Post by Cashro »

Ok if the church is using the money to spread the word of catholicism or any other religion, then why don't they take a tenth of your blood as a sacrifice to God, or a tenth of your home. I can not for the life of me figure out why tithes are restricted to monetary values. Does the church own a tenth of you or your children, I would hope not. So why then would it own a tenth of your income and nothing else. It makes no sense to me that a Church or Priest could survive on simply preaching on a sunday. Where does his money come from? I have nothing against religion, but poor people who feel that they need to give ten percent of their measly income to the church is absolutly ludicrous. Could someone please explain all this to me. . .

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by BeHereNow »

I’ll give you something else to think about.
Is that 10% of the gross or 10% of the net?