Disputed Ending of Mark 16.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rstrats
Scholar

Disputed Ending of Mark 16.

Post #1

Post by rstrats »

A poster on another board, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesn’t really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, it has generally been my experience that first day proponents many times use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change of observance from the seventh day to the first day, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, frequently quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: “Quote a published author who has done that.� - I have not yet been able to come up with one. Does anyone here know of one?

rstrats
Scholar

Re: Disputed Ending of Mark 16.

Post #51

Post by rstrats »

Checkpoint,

Since you don't know of an author perhaps someone else will

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #52

Post by brianbbs67 »

Go back to Mark 16;2. They got there as the sun rose and Christ was gone. so first day is out. Best I can figure is he rose at twilight on Saturday.

https://biblehub.com/text/mark/16-2.htm

rstrats
Scholar

Post #53

Post by rstrats »

Since it's been awhile maybe someone new looking in may know of an author.

Candle
Student

Post #54

Post by Candle »

rstrats wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:57 am A poster on another board, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesn’t really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, it has generally been my experience that first day proponents many times use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change of observance from the seventh day to the first day, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, frequently quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: “Quote a published author who has done that.� - I have not yet been able to come up with one. Does anyone here know of one?
The Romans were sun god worshipers. The religious leaders of Rome became the leaders of the new religion called Christianity. Basically, they said, "you can call your god Jesus, but you have to obey our rules regarding observance of days." The rest is reverse engineering of Scripture to justify the change. The phrase "the Lord's Day" appears ONE TIME in Scripture. "The Day of the LORD" appears 29 times and it is the TOPIC of the entire book of the Revelation. John being "in the spirit on the Lord's Day" means he was being given visions regarding "the Day of YHVH."

The Catholic Church claims that Sunday is their mark of authority.

"Nowhere in the Bible is it stated that worship should be changed from Saturday to Sunday. The fact is that the Church was in existence for several centuries before the Bible was given to the world. The Church made the Bible, the Bible did not make the Church." Things Catholics Are Asked About, p. 136, Martin J. Scott, 1927 edition

"Sunday is our mark of authority. The church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact." The Catholic Record, Sept. 1, 1923 Note: Exodus 31:17 and Ezekiel 20:12, 19, 20.

"Sunday is a Catholic institution, and its claims to observation can be defended only on Catholic principles . . . From beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first." The Catholic Press

"The Catholic Church, . . . by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday." The Catholic Mirror, Sept. 23, 1893

rstrats
Scholar

Post #55

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to Candle in post #54]

I assume your answer is that you don't know of an author. I am hoping to hear from someone who does.