Matthew 12:40

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rstrats
Scholar

Matthew 12:40

Post #1

Post by rstrats »

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion� with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase “x� days and “x�nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely didn’t include at least parts of the “x� days and at least parts of the “x� nights?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #181

Post by Checkpoint »

rstrats wrote: Checkpoint,
re: "How about 'Abraham's bosom', Luke 16:22?"

How is that an example of a daytime or a night time being said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred?[/quote

It isn't that.

But it is one example that I understood you were looking for, in a general sense, when you wrote this:
If yes, what examples are you using to say that He was using common figure of speech/colloquial language?

rstrats
Scholar

Post #182

Post by rstrats »

Checkpoint,
re: "It isn't that."

OK, no problem. Perhaps someone else may know of examples.

re: "But it is one example that I understood you were looking for, in a general sense..."

Actually it's examples in a specific sense, i.e., examples which show that it was common to say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #183

Post by rstrats »

Someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #184

Post by brianbbs67 »

Checkpoint wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: Why on earth would you try to make your belief fit something?? Wednesday works quite well in the proper year
So you would say he died on Wednesday before sunset, and rose at a similar time on the Saturday?
Yes. I could start a thread if you want?

rstrats
Scholar

Post #185

Post by rstrats »

brianbbs67,
re: "I could start a thread if you want?"

That would be the correct thing to do because any issue apart from the OP - as clarified in subsequent posts - should be addressed in a new topic.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #186

Post by rstrats »

marco,

You have a question directed to you in post #172.

rstrats
Scholar

Re: Matthew 12:40

Post #187

Post by rstrats »

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re:

Post #188

Post by Eloi »

This is resurrected Jesus talking to his disciples the same day he was raised:

Luk. 24:17 He said to them: “What are these matters that you are debating between yourselves as you walk along?” And they stood still, looking sad. 18 In answer the one named Cleʹo·pas said to him: “Are you a stranger dwelling alone in Jerusalem and do not know the things that have occurred there during these days?” 19 He asked them: “What things?” They said to him: “The things concerning Jesus the Naz·a·reneʹ, who proved to be a prophet powerful in deed and word before God and all the people; 20 and how our chief priests and rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they nailed him to the stake. 21 But we were hoping that this man was the one who was going to deliver Israel. Yes, and besides all these things, this is the third day since these things occurred. 22 Moreover, some women from among us also astonished us, for they went early to the tomb 23 and when they did not find his body, they came saying that they had also seen a supernatural sight of angels, who said he is alive. 24 Then some of those who were with us went off to the tomb, and they found it just as the women had said, but they did not see him.”

I already wrote about that. If THAT ONE was the third day and it was a Sunday, then Jesus died the Friday.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #189

Post by rstrats »

Eloi,
re: "I already wrote about that. If THAT ONE was the third day and it was a Sunday, then Jesus died the Friday."

And I asked you a couple of questions about that writing to which you have yet to answer.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #190

Post by Eloi »

I don't get what else you're asking ... maybe no one else is contributing here for the same reason.