Matthew 12:40

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rstrats
Scholar

Matthew 12:40

Post #1

Post by rstrats »

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion� with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase “x� days and “x�nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely didn’t include at least parts of the “x� days and at least parts of the “x� nights?

The Tongue
Under Probation

Re: Matthew 12:40

Post #2

Post by The Tongue »

rstrats wrote: Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion� with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase “x� days and “x�nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely didn’t include at least parts of the “x� days and at least parts of the “x� nights?
A day is a period of darkness that is followed by a period of light of the same duration.

A day on the North pole, is six months of darkness followed by 6 months of light, a day on Mars, Venus, Jupiter, etc, etc, are all periods of darkness followed by equal periods of light, but no two days are of the same duration.

The three hours of darkness, from Mid-day to 3 PM, which was followed by the three hours of light, from 3 PM, to 6 PM, was the day when Jesus was killed and buried in the family tomb of his half brother, Joseph of Arimathea, which had never been used, suggesting that the father of Mary's second son, was still alive at the time of the crucifixion.

Although sometimes a day can refer to the period of light alone, as Jesus once said, "A Day has 12 hours has it not? So work while the light is with you."

The first day in which Jesus was dead, was the 3 hour period of light that followed the three hours of darkness on Thursday, which was the day of preparation to the Passover, the first night was Friday night, the night when the Jews ate their Passover lamb, the second day was Friday, the third night was Saturday night, and and the third day was Saturday, and it was sometime in the evening, which was the beginning of Sunday night, that he rose from the grave, and the women who came in the darkness of Sunday morning, found the tomb to be empty.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #3

Post by rstrats »

The Tongue,

Thanks for the comments, but do you have any information asked for in the OP?

The Tongue
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by The Tongue »

rstrats wrote: The Tongue,

Thanks for the comments, but do you have any information asked for in the OP?
First of all, can you better explain what you mean by the 6th day crucifixion folks, and the phrase “x� days and “x�nights?

By "6th day crucifixion folks," are you referring to those who believe that Jesus was crucified on Friday the 6th day of the week, and what are the “x� days and x�nights that are so worrying to you?

It was my belief that you were referring to the part day and part night as revealed in the extra 6 hour day (Three hours of darkness and three hours of light) provided by God, to take the place of the single day celebration of Passover that preceded the seven day festival of unleavened bread, which the Jews in those days had incorporated into the seven day festival.

Numbers 28: 16; The Passover festival in honour of the Lord, is to be held on the fourteenth day of the first month.

The 14th day of the first month begins as the sunsets on the 13th day?

Exodus 12: 14; “You must celebrate ‘THIS DAY’ as a religious festival to remind you of what I, the Lord have done, Celebrate it (One day) for all time to come.

Numbers 28:17; On the fifteenth day a religious festival begins which lasts seven days, during which, only unleavened bread is to be eaten. On the first and the last day of the seven day festival of unleavened bread, they were to gather for worship and no work was to be done on those days.

Numbers 28: 16; The Passover Festival in honour of the Lord, is to be held on the fourteenth day of the first month. The sunset, which is the end of the 14th day of the first month of the year, was the beginning of the famous Hebrew seven day festival of "Unleavened Bread."

Numbers 33: 3; The people of Israel left Egypt on the 15th day of the first month of the year, the day "AFTER" the first "PASSOVER.".

Deuteronomy 16: 1; It was in the month of Abib that the lord brought you out of Egypt "BY NIGHT".

Question: On what night did the Lord bring the Israelite out of Egypt in full view of the Egyptians who were burying their first born sons, which the Lord had killed on the NIGHT of the 14th day of Abib, the night that the Israelites were not allowed to leave their houses until next morning?

Numbers 28:17; On the fifteenth day a religious festival begins which lasts seven days,

The Seven day Festival of Unleavened Bread begins at sunset, which is the evening=The End of the 14th day of the Passover Festival, or the darkness=evening=The Beginning of the 15th day of the first month, the night in which the Israelites left Egypt on the day AFTER the first Passover?

Fides et Veritas
Student

Post #5

Post by Fides et Veritas »

I would be greatly interested in more information as to what you desire for a complete answer. Days, times and the falling of the festival days are something I am passingly familiar with.

I may or may not be able to assist but worst case is that you explain more clearly enough so that some other passerby is able to give you the answers you seek.

Thanks.
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." — C.S. Lewis

rstrats
Scholar

Post #6

Post by rstrats »

The Tongue,

re: "By '6th day crucifixion folks,' are you referring to those who believe that Jesus was crucified on .. the 6th day of the week..."

Yes.

re: "...and what are the 'x' days and 'x' nights that are so worrying to you?"

I probably should have said "n" days and "n" nights. And I would like to allay your thoughtful concern with regard to your thinking that I am worrying about this - I'm not (worrying about it that is).

rstrats
Scholar

Post #7

Post by rstrats »

The Tongue,

re: "By '6th day crucifixion folks,' are you referring to those who believe that Jesus was crucified on .. the 6th day of the week..."

Yes.

I probably should have said "n" days and "n" nights. And I would like to allay your thoughtful concern with regard to your thinking that I am worrying about this - I'm not (worrying about it that is).

The Tongue
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by The Tongue »

rstrats wrote: The Tongue,

Yes.

Well if you're not worried about your 'x' days and 'x' nights, which you now define as your "n" days and "n" nights, what every they may be, then why should anyone else worry about them?

Bye, bye buddy.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #9

Post by rstrats »

The Tongue,

re: "Well if you're not worried about your 'x' days and 'x' nights, which you now define as your "n" days and "n" nights, what every they may be..."

"n" represents some unknown quantity or number. In the case of day and night, it could stand for 1 day and 1 night, or 2 days and 2 nights, or 3 days and 3 nights, or 4 days and 4 nights, or 5 days and 5 nights, etc.

re: "...then why should anyone else worry about them?"

I'm not asking anyone to worry about them. I'm merely asking for what I set forth in the OP.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #10

Post by rstrats »

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in will know of some documentation.