A Good God would not send a decent Atheist to hell.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marketandchurch
Scholar

A Good God would not send a decent Atheist to hell.

Post #1

Post by marketandchurch »

This was the post that got me banned on Christian Chat:
Then God doesn't care about the goodness and decency of an atheist, a buddhist, etc. And if that is the message you are telling me, then there is no point to being a good person. There is no point of fighting on behalf of the oppressed, as America did, in WWII. The only purpose of fighting the Japanese, and beating back the Nazi's should have been so that we could bring more people to christ...is that what your saying? Should America be sending food and aid to heathens in Haiti? Should America be helping out muslims in disaster relief fallowing a natural disaster, unless it is to bring them to Christ? Is a person's only value to you, there potential to become a convert? They have no humanity beyond that?

You have an old testament my_adonai, and you are to be as obsessed with its obsessions, as you are with the new testament's. And the Old Testament's preoccupation is fighting evil, championing the good, and making a more ethical existence, during this lifetime.

And unless you think Christians alone can make this lifetime a little better, a little less genocidal, with a little less starvation, a little less torture, etc, it is an unethical message to peddle, that a good God would demand goodness, unless one doesn't believe in his son. Then one's goodness is pointless. One might as well not care about not gossiping behind other people's back, destroying someone's dignity in public, sleeping with a coworker's wife, extorting an elderly couple that one was hired to help, raping a pre-pubcescent child, killing another human being because of their skin color, etc, etc, etc.

Apparently, I was challenging people's faith, and was just there to be anti-christian, in saying that a Good God would not send to hell decent people, simply because they do not believe in his Son. I got all sorts of less then appetizing replies, saying I'm screwed for eternity, if I don't accept Jesus. I feel that I am not alone, even within the Christian community, in thinking this as I've heard many catholic priests, and mainstream protestant pastors, while I was growing up, distancing themselves from such a belief. I don't know where people on this forum stand, but I'll put it up for debate:

• Topic of Debate: A Good God would not send to hell a decent person, simply for not believing in his son.

If you agree with me, and are a Christian, please square your response with the rest of the New Testament. What I'm looking for is scriptural consistency to back up your position, and more importantly, how one will then re-read the entire message of the New Testament, if one wants to hold that position. I say this because I don't want you to drop scripture, simply because it doesn't conform to your own personal beliefs, but I am looking for how one can reinterpret the New testament, if one drops that central tenant, & for the rest of us, impediment, to everlasting life. Is there room for this? Or is the New Testament rigidly in the affirmative about Christ being the only way to heaven? Which is fine. That's their theology, but let's see where this goes.

Mr.Badham
Sage

Re: A Good God would not send a decent Atheist to hell.

Post #2

Post by Mr.Badham »

[Replying to post 1 by marketandchurch]

You aren't a decent person if you don't believe in Jesus. Belief in Jesus is the definition of decency. All that's good starts with your belief in Jesus.

Doing good things without believing in Jesus, is like painting over rust. It's like cleaning up without a disinfectant.

TheTruth101
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by TheTruth101 »

marketandchurch wrote: This was the post that got me banned on Christian Chat:
Then God doesn't care about the goodness and decency of an atheist, a buddhist, etc. And if that is the message you are telling me, then there is no point to being a good person. There is no point of fighting on behalf of the oppressed, as America did, in WWII. The only purpose of fighting the Japanese, and beating back the Nazi's should have been so that we could bring more people to christ...is that what your saying? Should America be sending food and aid to heathens in Haiti? Should America be helping out muslims in disaster relief fallowing a natural disaster, unless it is to bring them to Christ? Is a person's only value to you, there potential to become a convert? They have no humanity beyond that?

You have an old testament my_adonai, and you are to be as obsessed with its obsessions, as you are with the new testament's. And the Old Testament's preoccupation is fighting evil, championing the good, and making a more ethical existence, during this lifetime.

And unless you think Christians alone can make this lifetime a little better, a little less genocidal, with a little less starvation, a little less torture, etc, it is an unethical message to peddle, that a good God would demand goodness, unless one doesn't believe in his son. Then one's goodness is pointless. One might as well not care about not gossiping behind other people's back, destroying someone's dignity in public, sleeping with a coworker's wife, extorting an elderly couple that one was hired to help, raping a pre-pubcescent child, killing another human being because of their skin color, etc, etc, etc.

Apparently, I was challenging people's faith, and was just there to be anti-christian, in saying that a Good God would not send to hell decent people, simply because they do not believe in his Son. I got all sorts of less then appetizing replies, saying I'm screwed for eternity, if I don't accept Jesus. I feel that I am not alone, even within the Christian community, in thinking this as I've heard many catholic priests, and mainstream protestant pastors, while I was growing up, distancing themselves from such a belief. I don't know where people on this forum stand, but I'll put it up for debate:

• Topic of Debate: A Good God would not send to hell a decent person, simply for not believing in his son.

If you agree with me, and are a Christian, please square your response with the rest of the New Testament. What I'm looking for is scriptural consistency to back up your position, and more importantly, how one will then re-read the entire message of the New Testament, if one wants to hold that position. I say this because I don't want you to drop scripture, simply because it doesn't conform to your own personal beliefs, but I am looking for how one can reinterpret the New testament, if one drops that central tenant, & for the rest of us, impediment, to everlasting life. Is there room for this? Or is the New Testament rigidly in the affirmative about Christ being the only way to heaven? Which is fine. That's their theology, but let's see where this goes.

An Atheist do not goto hell if they don't believe in God. They simply perish. Knowing nothing.

Hell was wiped away when Jesus died. And it dosent matter if one believes in God or not, because the crucifixion was done for hell to be wiped away.

In revelations, it says the false prophet and Satan as locked in hell for eternity.

"locked" means it cannot be opened or closed anymore. Hell do exist. But no one can go there since its been locked away for eternity.

Only Satan and the false prophet is there.

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

The problem is the premise. Paul refers to the principle espoused by Yesha'yahu when He says, (Rom. 3:10) "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:". It is a matter of proximate cause. If a man is headed for a brick wall, does he hit the brick wall because he was headed for it, or because he did not call onstar and have them turn off the engine? In that case would one fault onstar for only saving those who call?

aglassdarkly
Scholar

Post #5

Post by aglassdarkly »

bluethread wrote: The problem is the premise. Paul refers to the principle espoused by Yesha'yahu when He says, (Rom. 3:10) "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:".
Thank you. No one is "decent" in God's sight because His standard is perfection.

alive
Sage

Post #6

Post by alive »

Mr.Badham wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marketandchurch]

You aren't a decent person if you don't believe in Jesus. Belief in Jesus is the definition of decency. All that's good starts with your belief in Jesus.

Doing good things without believing in Jesus, is like painting over rust. It's like cleaning up without a disinfectant.

So what is doing real bad and believing in jesus...The Christain god would be much better of to have 1 of me compared to 95% of all Christians I know...

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by YahDough »

[Replying to post 1 by marketandchurch]

As TheTruth101 pointed out in a previous post, "hell" means death, not everlasting torment. The concept of hell has been perverted by unsound religious dogma.

I'm not suggesting that there is no judgment after death. On the contrary, there is judgment.
Heb:9:27: And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
I'm just saying the final resting place for the unsaved is death.

Iam
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Iam »

YahDough wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marketandchurch]

As TheTruth101 pointed out in a previous post, "hell" means death, not everlasting torment. The concept of hell has been perverted by unsound religious dogma.

I'm not suggesting that there is no judgment after death. On the contrary, there is judgment.
Heb:9:27: And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
I'm just saying the final resting place for the unsaved is death.
As it is for all.

marketandchurch
Scholar

Post #9

[Replying to post 2 by Mr.Badham]

Well sure. But what of all the decent people that existed before the "good news" came to their part of their world?

Decent is whatever God assesses of you when he weigh's the sum totality of your life's actions against you on judgement day. I don't know what his ruling on each individual person is, but he has give us a book to source ethics from, and a person who largely complies with that standard is a decent person.

I am curious: what is one's case then, to an atheist, or non-Christian, to be ethical? If it is all pointless, is one to live like this life is only it, and do whatever one wants with that short amount of time given?

marketandchurch
Scholar

Post #10

TheTruth101 wrote:
marketandchurch wrote: This was the post that got me banned on Christian Chat:

An Atheist do not goto hell if they don't believe in God. They simply perish. Knowing nothing.

Hell was wiped away when Jesus died. And it dosent matter if one believes in God or not, because the crucifixion was done for hell to be wiped away.

In revelations, it says the false prophet and Satan as locked in hell for eternity.

"locked" means it cannot be opened or closed anymore. Hell do exist. But no one can go there since its been locked away for eternity.

Only Satan and the false prophet is there.
Is Hell only locking Satan in? As in, other people can be let in as well, and locked in with satan?

I am more comfortable with simply perishing, over this hell narrative I keep hearing about. There's an old talmudic saying: He who does not believe in Heaven, doesn't go there. Of course the talmud is not authoritative, but the views of its authors were that wanting to live on in the next life is a prerequisite for ending up there.