A Good God would not send a decent Atheist to hell.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marketandchurch
Scholar

A Good God would not send a decent Atheist to hell.

Post #1

Post by marketandchurch »

This was the post that got me banned on Christian Chat:
Then God doesn't care about the goodness and decency of an atheist, a buddhist, etc. And if that is the message you are telling me, then there is no point to being a good person. There is no point of fighting on behalf of the oppressed, as America did, in WWII. The only purpose of fighting the Japanese, and beating back the Nazi's should have been so that we could bring more people to christ...is that what your saying? Should America be sending food and aid to heathens in Haiti? Should America be helping out muslims in disaster relief fallowing a natural disaster, unless it is to bring them to Christ? Is a person's only value to you, there potential to become a convert? They have no humanity beyond that?

You have an old testament my_adonai, and you are to be as obsessed with its obsessions, as you are with the new testament's. And the Old Testament's preoccupation is fighting evil, championing the good, and making a more ethical existence, during this lifetime.

And unless you think Christians alone can make this lifetime a little better, a little less genocidal, with a little less starvation, a little less torture, etc, it is an unethical message to peddle, that a good God would demand goodness, unless one doesn't believe in his son. Then one's goodness is pointless. One might as well not care about not gossiping behind other people's back, destroying someone's dignity in public, sleeping with a coworker's wife, extorting an elderly couple that one was hired to help, raping a pre-pubcescent child, killing another human being because of their skin color, etc, etc, etc.

Apparently, I was challenging people's faith, and was just there to be anti-christian, in saying that a Good God would not send to hell decent people, simply because they do not believe in his Son. I got all sorts of less then appetizing replies, saying I'm screwed for eternity, if I don't accept Jesus. I feel that I am not alone, even within the Christian community, in thinking this as I've heard many catholic priests, and mainstream protestant pastors, while I was growing up, distancing themselves from such a belief. I don't know where people on this forum stand, but I'll put it up for debate:

• Topic of Debate: A Good God would not send to hell a decent person, simply for not believing in his son.

If you agree with me, and are a Christian, please square your response with the rest of the New Testament. What I'm looking for is scriptural consistency to back up your position, and more importantly, how one will then re-read the entire message of the New Testament, if one wants to hold that position. I say this because I don't want you to drop scripture, simply because it doesn't conform to your own personal beliefs, but I am looking for how one can reinterpret the New testament, if one drops that central tenant, & for the rest of us, impediment, to everlasting life. Is there room for this? Or is the New Testament rigidly in the affirmative about Christ being the only way to heaven? Which is fine. That's their theology, but let's see where this goes.

marco
Savant

Re: A Good God would not send a decent Atheist to hell.

Post #1131

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1122 by marco]

I would agree, everyone is entitled to their own personal view. Personally I do not believe a God of love would torture people eternally, others are quite comfortable with this view. To each their own worldview.
We are in complete accord, JW. A God of love would not prescribe eternal pain for someone who has transgressed for one iota of time.

Where we would disagree, I think, is in defining a God who sends bears to kill children, advocates the complete slaughter of women, infants and livestock, wipes out cities because of some perceived sin, destroys the earth because of its sinfulness, tells men to stone to death their daughters if they sin sexually, advocates the murder of homosexuals...
It is hard for any human being to describe such a being as "a God of love."

And such a being WOULD use a hell. Happily!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1132

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote:It is hard for any human being to describe such a being as "a God of love.
Well that would mean that the millions that still conclude that the God of the bible is a God of love cannot be classified as "human"... a rather harsh and moralistically Superior to position to take imho. I personally would put it the above down to how one interpretes scripture rather than rashly catagorize millions of bible believers as "sub-human" as your comment implies.

Respect,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #1133

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote: I would agree, everyone is entitled to their own personal view. Personally I do not believe a God of love would torture people eternally, others are quite comfortable with this view. To each their own worldview.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Would a God of love would torture people eternally? Of course not. But would a GOD who is love banish all the self made demons who hate HIM and HIS church forever away from HIS place, HIS family and HIS church? Yes He would.

There is no intent to torture, only the righteous locking away of criminals whose evil will only grow until there is nothing left but pure evil because it is written, a little leaven leavens the whole lump/person(s).

Everybody reading the Bible sees clearly that YHWH sends people to hell - it is only those who come across the theologies that say no HE doesn't that changes their minds from their first understanding. But there is no need to go against the ordinary reading and with special pleading contend that HIS love could not doom anyone, the first greatest lie, thou shalt not die! for which the foolish elect rebelled against the judgement and idolizing the reprobate, stood against their GOD and against their own decision to follow HIM and became evil too, forcing the postponement the judgement.

HIS love will not torture but it will banish...banish the eternally evil demons to eradicate their evil from ever reaching HIS family and church again, since after having lived with them, we all know what evils they are willing to do to satisfy themselves. It is written that there are illegitimate children who are not HIS children and who He does not love and who are condemned already...love does bring judgment upon criminals.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #1134

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote:

I would agree, everyone is entitled to their own personal view. Personally I do not believe a God of love would torture people eternally, others are quite comfortable with this view. To each their own worldview.
We are in complete accord, JW. A God of love would not prescribe eternal pain for someone who has transgressed for one iota of time.
And this strawdog can't bite either... No one is eternally punished for a finite sin. The word is quite clear that the lake of fire is reserved for Satan and his demonic angels some of whom have lived as humans in the nations and are called goats Matt 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, (that is, the goats) ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. and who are also called the people of the evil one, Matt 13:38 ...and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the people of the evil one; 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil,

The evil they did was to knowingly make themselves eternally evil in YHWH's sight because they took the chance thinking HE was a false god and a liar, alas. Since they rejected HIS grace, the only power in reality that could save them from their evil choice, they are eternally evil and must be dealt with as such. So an eternal banishment for an eternal evil...sounds about right.
Where we would disagree, I think, is in defining a God who sends bears to kill children, advocates the complete slaughter of women, infants and livestock, wipes out cities because of some perceived sin, destroys the earth because of its sinfulness, tells men to stone to death their daughters if they sin sexually, advocates the murder of homosexuals... It is hard for any human being to describe such a being as "a God of love."

And such a being WOULD use a hell. Happily!
For those who understand HIS perfect justice is driven by HIS love in that love demands HE banish the eternally evil so their evil cannot corrupt HIS creation again, it is very easy to see HIS judgements as loving HIS church and HIS family though HE hates the wicked illegitimate children and will visit their sins upon them.

HELL IS NECESSARY
IF we are eternal beings,
IF the evil of some is an eternal evil,
IF a little leaven (sin) does indeed leaven (corrupt) the whole lump/person or country including heaven.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1135

Post by onewithhim »

ttruscott wrote:
onewithhim wrote: Silly me. I thought that the point was well made that there is no fiery hell, and God is such a good Person that He wouldn't send anyone to such a place. Doesn't ANYONE agree with that?

:study:
GOD's goodness has nothing to do with keeping hell free of people... IF there is no people in hell then there is no hell and there is absolutely no reason to imply there is... are you pretending you never read my 5 reasons hell is necessary IF ?? which I think made my point very well indeed. Good enough you ignored it anyway... :sigh:

The fact you made your point will is not the standard of truth here or in my life....
I only say that because I want someone to think that my posts are worth responding to. Then, if that is so, I just want people to analyze my comment by breaking it down and telling me why they might see things differently. That's all I want. (I did read your 5 reasons, but I don't believe there is ANY good reason for "hell" to exist.)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1136

Post by onewithhim »

marco wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Silly me. I thought that the point was well made that there is no fiery hell, and God is such a good Person that He wouldn't send anyone to such a place. Doesn't ANYONE agree with that?
You're not being silly in thinking the point was well made. That is your view. Others think it wasn't well made. That is theirs.
While I would pay no attention to alternative definitions of hell that delve deeply into the resources of psychology, I would be sympathetic to a very simple reading of the OP which allows only the answer: "No." Even an atheist would accept that a GOOD character, fictional or otherwise, wouldn't act with absolute savagery. So the placement of "good" before the deity's name engineers a negative.

Would God send an atheist to hell? Yahweh would, and pretty speedily too. Deuteronomy would support that view.
Deuteronomy doesn't support the view of a God that would delight in watching a person slowly roast forever. The agony would be limitless. There is no reason for anyone, not even a Hitler or a Vlad Dracul or a Pol Pot, to be viciously tortured like what would happen in something like Dante's Inferno.

marco
Savant

Post #1137

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
marco wrote:It is hard for any human being to describe such a being as "a God of love.
Well that would mean that the millions that still conclude that the God of the bible is a God of love cannot be classified as "human"... a rather harsh and moralistically Superior to position to take imho. I personally would put it the above down to how one interpretes scripture rather than rashly catagorize millions of bible believers as "sub-human" as your comment implies.
It would mean nothing of the kind. First of all I said it would be hard - not impossible. My reason for saying this is that we read of the terrible things Yahweh commands -I don't need to list them. Side by side with this savagery, we hear that he is a God of Love. The transition from cruel being to loving being is a tough one for humans to look at God and understand, but of course MILLIONS of people manage to understand even tougher notions.

So let me correct your flawed logic.

It is hard for a human being to describe Yahweh as a loving God.
These people see Yahweh as loving.
CONCLUSION: These people have done something that is hard.

It is an absurdity to conclude THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT HUMAN.

And from your wrong conclusion, you have made further wrong conclusions.

It would be better not to indulge in logic problems if you are going to jump to such false conclusions. I have not remotely thought of people who believe in the Bible as
"sub-human." I never have. I would appreciate your understanding that you have reached a very, very wrong conclusion.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1138

Post by onewithhim »

Clownboat wrote:

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Question for ya.
I know you said, 'to each their own', but if you are a Witness, don't you conform to 'their' (The Jehovah's Witness) world view?

Is it a persons world view that prevents them from playing organized sports, or celebrating holidays and such, or from associating with people that are not Jehovah's Witnesses themselves?

Is it your world view that would stop you from saying "Hi" to someone that has been disfellowshipped? Not even saying 'Hi' seems like an odd view IMO.
Is it your world view that tells you that Jesus was the Archangel Michael? Why did it take the Witnesses for this world view to come to light?
Is the 144,000 part of your world view, or the church?
How about your views on blood and transfusions? Are they your own?
(These may not apply to you, and if so, just say so and consider the questions retracted).
Of course, a Witness could point to the scriptures that the Watch Tower uses to justify these 'world views', but then I'm left to wonder, if they are true claims, why were they missed for so long until the Witnesses came about and got them right?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how genuine the 'to each their own world view' claim really is by trying to gauge if you have arrived at your conclusions on your own, or if you just have the world view of the religion you follow (which is what I would expect and which would make the 'to each their own' claim quite ironic).
You and others seem to just want to castigate Jehovah'sWitness and other JWs. Jehovah'sWitness was saying that each person has the right to have his own world view. Not that he thinks it's OK to hold such a view, whatever that may be.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1139

Post by onewithhim »

ttruscott wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: I would agree, everyone is entitled to their own personal view. Personally I do not believe a God of love would torture people eternally, others are quite comfortable with this view. To each their own worldview.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Would a God of love would torture people eternally? Of course not. But would a GOD who is love banish all the self made demons who hate HIM and HIS church forever away from HIS place, HIS family and HIS church? Yes He would.

There is no intent to torture, only the righteous locking away of criminals whose evil will only grow until there is nothing left but pure evil because it is written, a little leaven leavens the whole lump/person(s).

Everybody reading the Bible sees clearly that YHWH sends people to hell - it is only those who come across the theologies that say no HE doesn't that changes their minds from their first understanding. But there is no need to go against the ordinary reading and with special pleading contend that HIS love could not doom anyone, the first greatest lie, thou shalt not die! for which the foolish elect rebelled against the judgement and idolizing the reprobate, stood against their GOD and against their own decision to follow HIM and became evil too, forcing the postponement the judgement.

HIS love will not torture but it will banish...banish the eternally evil demons to eradicate their evil from ever reaching HIS family and church again, since after having lived with them, we all know what evils they are willing to do to satisfy themselves. It is written that there are illegitimate children who are not HIS children and who He does not love and who are condemned already...love does bring judgment upon criminals.
A very good post (if you're being straightforward & not sarcastic, which sometimes it's difficult with certain people to perceive which they are being....no disrespect meant). I don't get where your sentence "everyone who has read the Bible sees clearly that YHWH sends people to hell" fits in with the rest of your post, though.

Jehovah has never and will never send people to burn in a never-ending fire.

The rest of your post is commendable.

Erexsaur
Apprentice

Post #1140

Post by Erexsaur »

[Replying to marco]

Hi Marco,

My purpose was to clarify scriptural use of natural objects as models to describe prophesies and supernatural concepts whose descriptions would otherwise be above the natural level of thinking. Much of what we learn from the Bible is on the supernatural level.

Jesus knew what He was doing. He spoke the way He did to separate the more serious followers from those that walked with Him as if following a fad. If the latter group didn't stop at that point they would have later.

Biblical mention of the animals discussed was the use of them as models to describe the peace that would supernaturally return to the earth when the sins of mankind are dealt with and done away with. Dangerous animals are so because of the presence of man's sinful nature.

We must beware of the danger of missing out on vital Biblical messages meant for us personally because of distraction from side issues not yet fully understood. Use of the high school algebra approach of letting "x" equal to the meaning of troublesome scriptures is a way to keep them from distracting us.

Take care,
Earl