Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

scorpia
Sage

Is hell eternal or not?

Post #1

Post by scorpia »

Just a couple of references;
2 Thess 1 : 7-9 : and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed in heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power .
This verse mentions the final punishment as an everlasting destruction....
Jude 7 : In a similair way, Sodom and Gomorrah and teh surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire
This verse is similair
Rev 20 :14-15 : The death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. the lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
This verse however mentions the punishment as a "second death"

Perhaps the latter verse doesn't negate that the "second death" is eternal. But then how is death eternal? Does it mean a long eternal period in a process of dying? Or does it mean a person will for the rest of eternity be dead? Is hell eternal or not?
'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.

joer
Guru

Post #51

Post by joer »

tambi wrote:"Hell is not a place you go if you're not a Christian, it’s a failure of your life's greatest ambition"-Im. Tech.

I believe that each will get what they deserve, regardless of religious beliefs, and that God judges people's hearts. It just makes the most sense that way I think.
Howdy Tambi! God Bless you my friend. Good to read your post. I find it interesting. What I find of particular interest is the possible perspectives of "deserve". If we each get what we deserve from a human point of view. I think it would be variable. But when God is the Judge of what we deserve, I think we get much more consideration from God due to God's mercifulness and Love than we would from the human perspective. And because you said, "God judges people's hearts". I believe you are saying and saying correctly we each get what we deserve when God and ONLY God is our Judge.

Thanks again Tambi I enjoyed your post. :D

Antigone
Student

Post #52

Post by Antigone »

I am new here, just in case someone here hasn't read my intro, I wanted to say hello first off. And I thought you should know I have read only the last two pages of this discussion, so if I post something that has already been said I apologize.

I want to start by saying the following is not what I personally beieve about hell or anything else for that matter. I am only posting parts of the bible, because that seems to be the bases of this discussion, the question is, as I see it, if the bible says hell is eternal.

The Quotes and verses from the bible given in the very first post on this thread would make one believe the bible is saying hell is not eternal, but we have to go deeper and take things into context to see the real point to what the bible is saying.

In Rev. chapter 14:9-11 (from the HarperCollins Study Bible, New Revised Standard Version):

..."Those who worship the beast and its image, and receive a mark on their forheads or on their hands, they will also drink the wine of God's wrath, poured unmixed into the cup of his anger, and they will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever..."

In Rev. 19:20-21:
And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed in its presence the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire and sulfur. And the rest were killed by the sword of the rider on the horse...
(by 'the rest' is meant the kings and armies who were fighting beside the beast and false prophet)

All of Rev. chapter 20 and 21 should be read to put it into context. Since all versions of the bible are slightly different and since I want to make sure we are all on the same 'page' I will type it all out right here (wish me luck!). I will indicate the verses by typing every even numbered verse, in case someone wants to refer to the verses in the future.

Chapter 20:
Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the bottemless pit and a great chain. (2) He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years,and threw him into the pit, and locked and sealed it over him, so that he would deceive the nations no more, until the thousand years were ended. After that he must be let out for a while.

(4) Then I saw thrones, and those seated on them were given authority to judge. I also saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony to Jesus
(*some translations use: 'for the testimony of Jesus'*) and for the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their forheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. (6) Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. Over these the second death have no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him a thousand years.

When the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison (8) and will come out to deceive the nations at the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, in order to gather them for battle; they are as numerous as the sands of the sea. They marched up over the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. And fire came down from heaven and consumed them. (10) And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night, forever and ever.

Then I saw a great white throne and the one who sat on it; the earth and heaven fled from his presence, and no place was found for them. (12) And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Also another book was opened, the book of life. And the dead were judged according to their works, as recorded in the books. And the sea gave up the dead that were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and all were judged according to what they had done. (14) Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire; and anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

Chapter 21:
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. (2) And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them; they will be his people, and God himself will be with them; (4) he will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away." And the one who was seated on the throne said, "see, I am making all things new." Also he said, "write this, for these words are trustworthy and true." (6) Then he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life. Those who conquer will inherit these things, and I will be their God and they will be my children. (8) But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, the murderers, the fornicators, the sorcerers, the idolaters, and the liars, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."

Skipping ahead to 21:22 (After a description of the new city for God and his people):
I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God is its light, and the lamp is the lamb. (24) The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. The gates will never be shut by day - and there will be no night there. (26) People will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. But nothing unclean will enter it, nor anyone who practices abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

It is clear that there are four distinct places being refered to:
1. Death and Hades (Hades was the place people went when they died in the ancient Greek and Roman world. Good and bad, it is not a place of judgement at the time this was written.
2. The Bottemless pit Satan was placed in, again, this is not a place of judgement, for people atleast. This is a place were Satan was locked up. He only reigns over people on earth ... when God/Jesus lets him come to earth to do so.
3. The Sea, another place the dead are. Hades and Death are 'under the earth.' In ancient Greece and Rome when a sailor was lost at sea he was not expected to be in Hades; I make the assumption here that the author is trying to make sure he covers every dead person .. making it clear to the reader that Jesus and God judge every dead person everywhere, regardless of where the body is (as long as it isn't in the lake of fire, that it)
4. The lake of fire and sulfur, which is located near jesus (Rev. 9-11). This is the place of judgement, the "forever and ever" place of torment, tortur, and screams. This is the second death, and there is no escape from it, according to Rev. 14:9-11, 20:10.

The people who were thrown into the lake of fire in Rev. 14:9-11 were NOT included in the judgement with the books and the book of life, they were not in hades, the sea, or dead. They were already cast into the lake of fire. Also notice in 20:12-14 that the people judged were NOT thrown into the lake of fire, only death and hades and those not written in the book of life were. Also notice in 21:1, the sea was no more ... another place for the dead that was gone. The only thing new was the heavens and the earth. The heavens is not refering to that after life thing we have today it refers to the sky and the stars we see. The place Gad and Jesus reign is the new city of Jerusalem, NOT a paradise called Heaven.

So, in the lake of fire, we have first the people who worshiped the beast and had its mark, The beast and the false prophet, Satan, Death and Hades, and those who are not in the book of life ( if you read Rev. 3.1 on your own you will see that Jesus has the power to wipe your name out of the book, otherwise your name is in it). Note that Satan is no longer in any pit or on earth reigning over people. He has no more power, he is being tormented along with everyone else.

But then in Rev. 21:7-8 it gets a bit confusing...is this a second group who are judged, after everything is new? Or is it a restatement of what was said? If it is a restatement of what was said then it is a little different from the first telling of it. (Just like the two versions of the creation story in Gen.)
Note that the first resurrection in Rev. 20:5-6 are those that were martyrs in Rome with high social status: only the higher classes of people who were Christias were beheaded, the more painful forms of execution were reserved for those with lower status in the social stratae. So, the Christians of high social status who were martyred were resurrected first and live with God and Jesus for 1000 years, then others are raised from the dead and there is a judgement. this is the second resurrection. (followed by a second death). In Rev. 21:7, 'those who conquer' refers to those who have with-stood persecution by the hands of the Romans and who have anguished in prison for it as well. Is the author saying they will rule with God (use of the word 'inherit')? Does 21:8 refer to those who already went into the lake of fire in chapter 14, or are these the ones who persecuted those who 'conquered'??

THAT is the real question, in my opinion. It is clear to me that the lake of fire (I think thats what you guys mean by 'hell') is 'forever and ever' ... the question is, who and what else, besides the beasts army and those who worshiped it, Satan, the false prophet, Death, and Hades, goes there, if any body???

But an even truer question would be, is it realistic? But thats a topic I will touch upon later... 8-)

tambi
Student

Post #53

Post by tambi »

joer wrote:Howdy Tambi! God Bless you my friend. Good to read your post. I find it interesting. What I find of particular interest is the possible perspectives of "deserve". If we each get what we deserve from a human point of view. I think it would be variable. But when God is the Judge of what we deserve, I think we get much more consideration from God due to God's mercifulness and Love than we would from the human perspective. And because you said, "God judges people's hearts". I believe you are saying and saying correctly we each get what we deserve when God and ONLY God is our Judge.

Thanks again Tambi I enjoyed your post. :D
Thanks for the reply joer :D I also believe that God is the perfect judge, and as humans, we can never really know other people's true intentions, qualities or reasons for what they do. What’s the point of claiming to know someone's fate based on what you perceive their beliefs to be?

That being said, I also believe that where we end up is also based on our actions in this life. Only God really knows in the end though ;)
"the world is waiting to do to you, whatever you may be doing to others" from Golden Words of a Sufi Sheikh.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by McCulloch »

tambi wrote:I also believe that where we end up is also based on our actions in this life.
And I thought that Christians believed in salvation by grace not works!
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

tambi
Student

Post #55

Post by tambi »

McCulloch wrote:And I thought that Christians believed in salvation by grace not works!
ah-ha so they do, but I'm not a christian ;)

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #56

Post by Goat »

McCulloch wrote:
tambi wrote:I also believe that where we end up is also based on our actions in this life.
And I thought that Christians believed in salvation by grace not works!
I have observed that there is a large variation among christians about that. Some feel that it is not by faith alone, but that works are an expression of faith. Other seem to think that god deciedes who has grace, and nothing you do matters (which I find to be a very disturbing theology, personally). THere is also everything inbetween.

tambi
Student

Post #57

Post by tambi »

goat wrote:I have observed that there is a large variation among christians about that. Some feel that it is not by faith alone, but that works are an expression of faith. Other seem to think that god deciedes who has grace, and nothing you do matters (which I find to be a very disturbing theology, personally). THere is also everything inbetween.
I find it all pretty ironic because if you're saved by grace and not works, then sin is of no consequence, because 'all sin is the same to God'. so the saved commit the worst of sins and still get into heaven, while the suckers who tried their best get kicked into the lake of fire. it turns god into a stooge, trapped by his own loophole. no wonder Christianity is so appealing to psychopathic serial killers.
"the world is waiting to do to you, whatever you may be doing to others" from Golden Words of a Sufi Sheikh.

Easyrider

Post #58

Post by Easyrider »

tambi wrote:I find it all pretty ironic because if you're saved by grace and not works, then sin is of no consequence, because 'all sin is the same to God'. so the saved commit the worst of sins and still get into heaven, while the suckers who tried their best get kicked into the lake of fire. it turns god into a stooge, trapped by his own loophole. no wonder Christianity is so appealing to psychopathic serial killers.
Have you even studied the Bible? There are eternal consequences of continued sin for the believer. For one thing there are loss of rewards in heaven for "dead works" (sin, etc.). Read I Corinthians 3:11-15. There's loss of position, rewards, personal shame when meeting Christ, and many other things. Second, while Christianity is appealing to SOME serial murderers, so is the secular view that there is no hell, so why repent? And third, some sins are more grave than others. i.e.

"Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." - John 19:11

The OT is full of various punishments for sins, ranging from monetary compensation to death, showing that some sins are more heinous in God's eyes than others.

tambi
Student

Post #59

Post by tambi »

Easyrider wrote:Have you even studied the Bible?.
sure have
Easyrider wrote:There are eternal consequences of continued sin for the believer. For one thing there are loss of rewards in heaven for "dead works" (sin, etc.). Read I Corinthians 3:11-15. There's loss of position, rewards, personal shame when meeting Christ, and many other things..
so a lower station in heaven is still the reward for believers, who hypothetically could have commited identical sins to those which sent unbelievers to hell?
Easyrider wrote:Second, while Christianity is appealing to SOME serial murderers, so is the secular view that there is no hell, so why repent? And third, some sins are more grave than others. i.e.

"Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." - John 19:11.
really? so context and intention of a sin is applied? for instance does a starving child who steals bread for his family stand just as guilty as a wealthy corporate executive who impoverishes thousands through fraud?

The odd part is that while neither action is excusable as it is theft, if both individuals immediately became christians and died, they would go to heaven, no harm done.
Easyrider wrote:The OT is full of various punishments for sins, ranging from monetary compensation to death, showing that some sins are more heinous in God's eyes than others.
true, but is Christianity based on the OT, or on the NT? if a Jew manages to not sin once his whole life, he will still burn in hell, simply because he rejected Christ. if all sin in the eyes of God, and thus all deserve death/damnation, surely it shouldn't matter which sin is really being committed as all bring death equally.

Do lying christians attain heaven after death?

Easyrider

Post #60

Post by Easyrider »

tambi wrote:
Easyrider wrote:Have you even studied the Bible?.
sure have
OK, but then why didn't you know about the loss of rewards in heaven for the believer?
Easyrider wrote:There are eternal consequences of continued sin for the believer. For one thing there are loss of rewards in heaven for "dead works" (sin, etc.). Read I Corinthians 3:11-15. There's loss of position, rewards, personal shame when meeting Christ, and many other things..
tambi wrote: so a lower station in heaven is still the reward for believers, who hypothetically could have commited identical sins to those which sent unbelievers to hell?
While there are consequences for sin in a saved person's afterlife, the real issue is whether or not people have received Christ as their atoning sacrifice for those sins. Those who have not received Christ / Christ's atonement will not fare well in the hereafter (John 3:36; John 8:24, etc.).
Easyrider wrote:Second, while Christianity is appealing to SOME serial murderers, so is the secular view that there is no hell, so why repent? And third, some sins are more grave than others. i.e.

"Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." - John 19:11.
tambi wrote: really? so context and intention of a sin is applied? for instance does a starving child who steals bread for his family stand just as guilty as a wealthy corporate executive who impoverishes thousands through fraud?

The odd part is that while neither action is excusable as it is theft, if both individuals immediately became christians and died, they would go to heaven, no harm done.
Once again, there are loss of rewards for sins in life, so there is a measure of justice. Otherwise, there is none.
Easyrider wrote:The OT is full of various punishments for sins, ranging from monetary compensation to death, showing that some sins are more heinous in God's eyes than others.
tambi wrote: true, but is Christianity based on the OT, or on the NT? if a Jew manages to not sin once his whole life, he will still burn in hell, simply because he rejected Christ. if all sin in the eyes of God, and thus all deserve death/damnation, surely it shouldn't matter which sin is really being committed as all bring death equally.
A modern day Jew probably. Since Jesus is God, he is also the God of the OT, and the one who spoke with Moses in the burning bush account. Jews then were justified righteous by faith in God (Genesis 15:6) just like people are justified by faith in the NT (Ephesians 2:8-9).
tambi wrote: Do lying christians attain heaven after death?
Have you studied progressive sanctification in the NT? If someone is a true Christian the Holy Spirit will work in their lives, over time, to make the believer more "Christlike". If none of this is evident in a so-called Christian's life - if they aren't making progress and are just as vicious a liar as they always were, then their "born-again" experience is in great doubt.