Paradise on Earth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Paradise on Earth

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1421

Post by JehovahsWitness »

tam wrote: Peace again to you,
JehovahsWitness wrote:
tam wrote:
How can a person examine an interpretation and teaching without stating what that interpretation and teaching entails?.
I'm not interested in examining interprtation and teachings, I'm jnterested in discussing what the bible says, which is why stick to the text.

And this is why I held the interpretation that your religion gives to the text, against the text itself.

Peace again to you.

My question was do YOU interpret?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tam
Savant

Post #1422

Post by tam »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
tam wrote: Peace again to you,
JehovahsWitness wrote:
tam wrote:
How can a person examine an interpretation and teaching without stating what that interpretation and teaching entails?.
I'm not interested in examining interprtation and teachings, I'm jnterested in discussing what the bible says, which is why stick to the text.

And this is why I held the interpretation that your religion gives to the text, against the text itself.

Peace again to you.

My question was do YOU interpret?

JW

No, your question was 'are you proposing an interpretation.'

I was not.

I was testing the interpretation set out by the WTS, against the text itself.

Like I said.

Peace again to you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1423

[Replying to post 1419 by tam]

Is anythong YOU post in relation to the bible text under discussion an interprtation of said text? Do you ever interpret bliblical text?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1424

tam wrote:
... you're right that He did not say those words in His quote. This is why I put that part in brackets (as my understanding from Him on who the 'other sheep' are...).
Can you explain what you meant be the words "as [your] understanding from Him "?

tam
Savant

Post #1425

Post by tam »

Peace to you.
[Replying to post 1420 by JehovahsWitness]

Is anythong YOU post in relation to the bible text under discussion an interprtation of said text? Do you ever interpret bliblical text?

Sorry, but that question (and my answer) is irrelevant. A red herring. It has no bearing bearing on a comparison of the WTS interpretation of the sheep and the goats parable with what is actually written in the text.

These are your words after all, yes:
If you want to discuss the actual text and its meaning we can do that . If you want to discuss me, then no, not so much.

Peace again to you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1426

[Replying to post 1422 by tam]

And I did not post anything from the Watchtower, so what relevance does your post have to what I said?
If you want to discuss the "interpretations and teachings" of Jehovahs Witnesses" as outlined in the Watchtower magazine, may I suggest you go to a subforum dedicated to the beliefs of various groups and post a thread, I'm sure someone will be along to join you.
I am interested in discussing the meaning of bible text, not your take on what you understand of Watchtower articles say about the text. I rarely include quotations from our magazines in my anwers and if I do, they (like any other source I refer to) are in support of my point.

I posted my understanding from Him on who the 'other sheep' are. If you have something to say about that, reply. As it stands, your post is irrelevant

JW

tam
Savant

Post #1427

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1422 by tam]

And I did not post anything from the Watchtower, so what relevance does your post have to what I said?
You are the one who has said (repeatedly) that if anyone wishes to know what jws believe, they can look at your site (jw.org) and search the magazines and printed material therein.

You can't invite people to do that and then take issue when they actually do it.
If you want to discuss the "interpretations and teachings" of Jehovahs Witnesses" as outlined in the Watchtower magazine, may I suggest you go to a subforum dedicated to the beliefs of various groups and post a thread, I'm sure someone will be along to join you.
See above.
I am interested in discussing the meaning of bible text, not your take on what you understand of Watchtower articles say about the text. I rarely include quotations from our magazines in my anwers and if I do, they (like any other source I refer to) are in support of my point.
See above.

I posted my understanding from Him on who the 'other sheep' are. If you have something to say about that, reply.

I was responding to your claim here:

the truth is there is nothing in the bible that says the sheep of Matthew 25 cannot be CHRISTIANS themselves, and many indications that they are.

Post 1411:
In addition to everything already shared, the story itself indicates that the sheep are not Christian. Because the sheep have to ask Christ 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you..." More than that though, the leaders of your religion tell you that doing (things) for them is doing (things) for Christ! (Such as giving them your obedience, your money, your time - to preach. Christ said nothing of these things). If the leaders of your religion were right in their interpretation, how would jws be able to ask that question "Lord when did we..."? You would already know if you had done (things) for Christ, having done (things) for His brothers, would you not? - tam

Peace again to you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1428

[Replying to post 1424 by tam]

Irrelevant. I posted what My Lord told me about the sheep and the goats. Do you have anything to say to me about what *I* posted or not?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

tam
Savant

Post #1429

Post by tam »

Yes, so this kind of exchange is entirely unproductive and pointless. I answered the question the OP asked with post 1282 (and many posts earlier in the thread), and I doubt there is anything in our current discussion that has not been covered over the last 10-15 pages. I think it is time I moved on...

Peace again to you.

(edited to make clear what exactly it is which is entirely unproductive and pointless)
Last edited by tam on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1430

If you think an exchange discussjng scripture alone is "entirely unproductive and pointless" those are your feelings and I take no ownership of them.
  • You are as I said free to open a thread discussing anything you read in the Watchtower magazines, indeed there is an entire subforum dedicated to discussing the teachings of others. However telling me your limited (and as I have noted often erroneous) understanding of a Watchtower article, in repsonse to what I have stated MY LORD told me when I have made no reference to a Watchtower, is irrelevant.
tam wrote:
If you want to discuss the actual text and its meaning we can do that
Yes that is exactly what I want. I (perhaps mistakenly) thought that is what you wanted too. For Christians the bible is our source text and we view it as essential finding truth and maintaining our faith. I hope you can see then why we focus on it.

I beg your indulgence in this regard,

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.