Paradise on Earth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Paradise on Earth

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #2511

Post by myth-one.com »

Miles wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:21 pm . .. nothing in the Bible is above question or can be taken as absolutely true. So, the Christian believer is stuck with passages that claim god's work is (always) perfect, and passages that say some of his work was a mistake, not perfect.
The original scriptures were inspired by God. Today's Bibles are translations of the originals, and might contain errors.

So as you said, eight versus eighteen was likely a typo.

Even so, things were written in the scriptures that mankind did not know as fact during those times. Such as the limit of 120 years of human life, life is in the blood, the earth is round, etc.

And there are prophesies, and interesting number riddles to be solved, and Paul had an addiction and discovered what is today the first step in the twelve-step rehab programs.

A 15-word sentence saved a young ladies life -- via psychology.

The answers to man's every question is inspired to be written in a book -- which is then brilliantly sealed from mankind's understanding in the third chapter of Genesis.

And I could go on and on.

Here's another: the answer to how to unseal the sealed book is written within the sealed book!

It's the most brilliant book I've ever read.

William
Savant

Post #2512

Post by William »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #2511]

Indeed - The Book tells us exactly who is YHWH and what we are in relation to that.

The mystery is in how each personality responds to that - as to whether they serve the Dark side of YHWH or the Light side of YHWH or relinquish the right to either side of YHWH by accepting the whole of YHWH.

Tcg
Savant

Post #2513

Post by Tcg »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:08 pm Today's Bibles are translations of the originals, and might contain errors.
No. We don't have any originals of any Biblical texts. Today's Bibles are translations of copies. Copies which themselves may contain errors.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #2514

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:51 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:16 pm If you're trying to imply the Bible, one of his works, is perfect, ...
I don't have to imply anything, the scriptures are there in black and white.

JW

In as much as I never asked you to prove the Bible is true, I take your little excursion into accusing me of such a blunder as an attempt to avoid the implication of my example.
So, to make it clear; I'm not asking you or anyone else to prove anything, but because you've asserted that the Bible is perfect I do ask you to simply explain how both Arphaxad and Cainan fathered Salah (sala). And that's it! Now, if you don't want to explain it, or can't, that's fine; however, as it stands it is an error: both assertions cannot be true. All of which means their source, the Bible, is in error, and hence not perfect.

Which also goes for how Jehoiachin was both eight and eighteen years old when he began to reign.---------Nice Trick.

Want to take on other Nice Tricks? I have plenty.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #2515

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm
onewithhim wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:41 pm
God's perfection is "something completely free from faults or defects." That is the usual definition of "perfect." An all-powerful God can indeed make perfect things, and there's no reason to think that He wouldn't make something perfect.
Except for God's own description of every thing He created in Genesis as "good".

Is good the same as perfect?
It might just be. Who is to say that it's not, where God is concerned? He himself inspired Moses to write that "all his works are perfect."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #2516

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #2510]
We don't argue that the Bible is a reliable document, considered inspired by God, and we understand this because the Bible says that it is inspired.

"All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness." (2Timothy 3:16)

See Otzeng's reminder above.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #2517

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:58 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:16 pm If you're trying to imply the Bible, one of his works, is perfect, ...

JW

In as much as I never asked you to prove the Bible is true, I take your little excursion into accusing me of such a blunder as an attempt to avoid the implication of my example.
So, to make it clear; I'm not asking you or anyone else to prove anything, but because you've asserted that the Bible is perfect I do ask you to simply explain how both Arphaxad and Cainan fathered Salah (sala). And that's it! Now, if you don't want to explain it, or can't, that's fine; however, as it stands it is an error: both assertions cannot be true. All of which means their source, the Bible, is in error, and hence not perfect.

Which also goes for how Jehoiachin was both eight and eighteen years old when he began to reign.---------Nice Trick.

I believe I answered your little conundrum by saying that God inspired men to write His basic thoughts; He didn't dictate every word. Men were free to write something of their own recollection, you might say. Or how they felt about something. (E.g., Exodus 4:25,26) Always, though, Jehovah's main points are there, throughout 66 books.

No "tricks."

Miles
Savant

Post #2518

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:27 am
Miles wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:58 pm

JW

I believe I answered your little conundrum by saying that God inspired men to write His basic thoughts; He didn't dictate every word. Men were free to write something of their own recollection, you might say. Or how they felt about something.
Really! Speaking of the Bible, "Men were free to write something of their own recollection, you might say. Or how they felt about something." So some, much, a lot, or most of the Bible isn't god's word at all. Now that is interesting. Not that I don't go along with "not any of it is god's word," but to see an admission from a Christian such as yourself is pretty quirky. Ever consider taking the atheist route?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #2519

Post by JehovahsWitness »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm Is good the same as perfect?
As far as God is concerned, according to you, yes.

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:27 pm
God's work is perfect and perfect for the purposes for which it was created.

Are you going to suggest that Gods work is perfect but not good?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #2520

Post by Tcg »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:08 pm
Even so, things were written in the scriptures that mankind did not know as fact during those times. Such as the limit of 120 years of human life, life is in the blood, the earth is round, etc.
The interpretation of the 120 years as a limit of human lifespan is quite problematic for two reasons. Firstly, we have modern records of humans living beyond that age. Secondly, the Bible itself records lifespans that exceed 120 after the flood by a great deal. Here are some examples from Genesis 11:

"Arphaxad lived 403 years and had other sons and daughters."

"Shelah lived 403 years and had other sons and daughters."

"Eber lived 430 years and had other sons and daughters."

"Reu lived 207 years and had other sons and daughters."

"Serug lived 200 years and had other sons and daughters."

"Terah lived 205 years, and he died in Harran."

No, the only consistent interpretation is that in Genesis 6:3, God was speaking of number of years left before he would bring the flood.

Oh, and the earth isn't round, it is an oblate spheroid.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom