Paradise on Earth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Paradise on Earth

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29

IaLoaou
Banned
Banned

Post #1101

Post by IaLoaou »

There is no Paradise on Earth.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #1102

Post by PinSeeker »

IaLoaou wrote: There is no Paradise on Earth.
... yet. But we can live as though there is, because we know it's coming.

IaLoaou
Banned
Banned

Post #1103

Post by IaLoaou »

PinSeeker wrote:
Yet you are forced to live in the kingdom of the devil where there is no Paradise on Earth.
And even if it were true as you say that there shall be in the future a paradise on Earth you will never see it nor will you ever live in it so I guess your faith in a paradise on Earth is just a mirage to make you feel good about it.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #1104

Post by bluegreenearth »

I apologize if someone has already contributed the perspective I'm about to post here, but reviewing the entire thread first was too impractical.

Given an infinite amount of time, everything desirable would eventually become inevitable, routine, and ultimately meaningless. This is because there can be no sense of urgency to pursue something when you have an eternity to obtain it. Also, with an eternity at your disposal, you will eventually obtain anything and everything you think you want over and over again until the time arrives when you no longer understand why you valued those things to begin with. An eternal life, be it in a hell separated from God or a heaven on Earth, is one in which anyone subject to it would ultimately and eventually beg for non-existence. Sure, the natural instinct for survival strongly influences our dreams of life and love everlasting, but I am compelled by intellectual honesty to admit that there is no verifiable evidence to presume a human consciousness can transcend all time and space nor would I want it to.
For this reason, I am justifiably motivated to value our limited time together in the one life I can be certain about in the here and now. As the Mindfulness practitioner, John Kabat-Zinn, reminds us: “Look at your watch. What time is it? It’s right now! Take another look at your watch. Well, wouldn’t you know it... It’s now again! Isn’t it interesting that every time you look at your watch it’s always now?� So, in that sense, maybe I can have everlasting life if I live in the present moment when the time is eternally now. You are only ever alive in the present moment, and what a waste it would be to squander any of it on the naive assumption that there will always be a next time. While ruminating over some unalterable past experience or indeterminate future event, the part of our shared existence which actually matters is irretrievably slipping through our fingers in that moment.

At every opportunity, on purpose, pay attention in the present moment to not only the people you love but yourselves as well, and nonjudgmentally observe what is real in that moment without trying to change anything. Whether it is when you are left speechless by someone's stunning smile, flattered by someone's sophisticated charm, annoyed by someone's persistent nagging, outraged by someone's absent mindedness, or just running routine errands with someone, be open to the full experiences those moments bring to your awareness of who you are as an individual and who you are as a fellow human being. In every moment, as long as you feel love and compassion for yourself and others, there is more right with you than wrong with you regardless of what’s wrong with you.

Unconditional acceptance of others and yourself in the present moment without slapping the label “good� or “bad� on that shared experience will help you cultivate love and compassion. Regardless of what previous events led up to wherever you find yourself or the innumerous potential consequences which might transpire for you down the road, the only time to be an active participant in your own life is in the present moment.

William
Savant

Post #1105

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1102 ]

bluegreenearth: An eternal life, be it in a hell separated from God or a heaven on Earth, is one in which anyone subject to it would ultimately and eventually beg for non-existence. Sure, the natural instinct for survival strongly influences our dreams of life and love everlasting, but I am compelled by intellectual honesty to admit that there is no verifiable evidence to presume a human consciousness can transcend all time and space nor would I want it to.

William: I have a section in my Members only thread which focuses on the concept of Living Forever In this Universe, in relation to the idea of living forever on the planet Earth as related by 'The Kingdom of God on Earth' doctrines.
(and also in relation to what scientists are involved with in regard to finding ways to extend human life indefinitely.)

♦ Living Forever In this Universe....LINKImage

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #1106

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to bluegreenearth]

Why won't we be bored in heaven?

Because we are with God, and God is infinite. We never come to the end of exploring Him. He is new every day.

Because we are with God, and God is eternal. Time does not pass (a condition for boredom); it just is. All time is present in eternity, as all the events of the plot are present in an author's mind. There is no waiting.

Because we are with God, and God is love. Even on earth, the only people who are never bored are lovers.

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/cu ... eaven.html

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #1107

Post by bluegreenearth »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to bluegreenearth]

Why won't we be bored in heaven?

Because we are with God, and God is infinite. We never come to the end of exploring Him. He is new every day.

Because we are with God, and God is eternal. Time does not pass (a condition for boredom); it just is. All time is present in eternity, as all the events of the plot are present in an author's mind. There is no waiting.

Because we are with God, and God is love. Even on earth, the only people who are never bored are lovers.

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/cu ... eaven.html

Poetic but logically fallacious.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #1108

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to bluegreenearth]
Poetic but logically fallacious.
Another nice attempt to dismiss a very logical argument.

I actually don’t think what I posted was all that poetic. Maybe we have different ideas of poetry. I do however see it as reasonable and logical. So, I ask you -- Show me the logical fallacy in what was posted. What didn’t you understand? What doesn’t make sense? Where in lies the fallacy?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1109

Post by onewithhim »

That is true. We don't have the promised paradise yet. It will come after Armageddon when Jesus takes over rulership of the entire earth.

Isaiah 9:6,7
Daniel 2:44

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1110

Post by onewithhim »

IaLoaou wrote:
PinSeeker wrote:
Yet you are forced to live in the kingdom of the devil where there is no Paradise on Earth.
And even if it were true as you say that there shall be in the future a paradise on Earth you will never see it nor will you ever live in it so I guess your faith in a paradise on Earth is just a mirage to make you feel good about it.
Why do you say that people will never see paradise on earth?