Paradise on Earth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Paradise on Earth

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15471
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 171 times
Contact:

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1721

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Icey wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55 pmBut is lying to oneself a sin? Might want to take an internal review of that one because you might be sinning without knowing it.
Good advice for us all. That said, as one if Jehovahs Witnesses I base my faith not on a desire to believe what is expedient, convenient or appealing but on solid evidence. Thank you for your advice nonetheless, it is indeed something we all do well to keep in mind. Please have a most excellent evening,

Regards,


JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Icey
Student
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1722

Post by Icey »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:17 pm
Icey wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55 pmBut is lying to oneself a sin? Might want to take an internal review of that one because you might be sinning without knowing it.
Good advice for us all. That said, as one if Jehovahs Witnesses I base my faith not on a desire to believe what is expedient, convenient or appealing but on solid evidence. Thank you for your advice nonetheless, it is indeed something we all do well to keep in mind. Please have a most excellent evening,

Regards,


JW
Indeed - at least for those who accept the forced servitude of sin I suppose.
Your evidence is nothing but belief. But if you want to change that definition to suit your wants, that's great! So long as it only hurts you I guess. But the JWs I know tend to like to spread harm around. Par for the course I guess; misery loves company, as they say. :D

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15471
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 171 times
Contact:

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1723

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Icey wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:49 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:17 pm
Icey wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55 pmBut is lying to oneself a sin? Might want to take an internal review of that one because you might be sinning without knowing it.
Good advice for us all. That said, as one if Jehovahs Witnesses I base my faith not on a desire to believe what is expedient, convenient or appealing but on solid evidence. Thank you for your advice nonetheless, it is indeed something we all do well to keep in mind. Please have a most excellent evening,

Regards,


JW
Indeed - at least for those who accept the forced servitude of sin I suppose.
Your evidence is nothing but belief. But if you want to change that definition to suit your wants, that's great! So long as it only hurts you I guess. But the JWs I know tend to like to spread harm around. Par for the course I guess; misery loves company, as they say. :D

Well thanks for sharing. You have yourself a wonderful evening,

Peace to you and yours,


JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15471
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 171 times
Contact:

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1724

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 pm How do you view what is promised and described in Revelation 21 and 22?
I view what is promised and described in Revelation 21 and 22 as wonderful, truly a reflection of Jehovahs love for mankind. Revelation 21 and 22 bring us full circle paradise lost to paradise regained.



JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1725

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:57 pm
Checkpoint wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 pm How do you view what is promised and described in Revelation 21 and 22?
I view what is promised and described in Revelation 21 and 22 as wonderful, truly a reflection of Jehovahs love for mankind. Revelation 21 and 22 bring us full circle paradise lost to paradise regained.



JW
Yes, but I see it as being so much more than that.


However, my question was to another poster, who I expect would give quite a different answer.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 15471
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 171 times
Contact:

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1726

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:38 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:57 pm
Checkpoint wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 pm How do you view what is promised and described in Revelation 21 and 22?
I view what is promised and described in Revelation 21 and 22 as wonderful, truly a reflection of Jehovahs love for mankind. Revelation 21 and 22 bring us full circle paradise lost to paradise regained.



JW
Yes, but I see it as being so much more than that.


Yes me too. I see it as so much more than that too.


JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Icey
Student
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1727

Post by Icey »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:48 pm
Icey wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:49 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:17 pm
Icey wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55 pmBut is lying to oneself a sin? Might want to take an internal review of that one because you might be sinning without knowing it.
Good advice for us all. That said, as one if Jehovahs Witnesses I base my faith not on a desire to believe what is expedient, convenient or appealing but on solid evidence. Thank you for your advice nonetheless, it is indeed something we all do well to keep in mind. Please have a most excellent evening,

Regards,


JW
Indeed - at least for those who accept the forced servitude of sin I suppose.
Your evidence is nothing but belief. But if you want to change that definition to suit your wants, that's great! So long as it only hurts you I guess. But the JWs I know tend to like to spread harm around. Par for the course I guess; misery loves company, as they say. :D

Well thanks for sharing. You have yourself a wonderful evening,

Peace to you and yours,


JW
Any time you need more advice, let me know. I'm happy to oblige. And I had a great evening - slept very well. :approve:

User avatar
onewithhim
Savant
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm
Location: Norwich, CT
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1728

Post by onewithhim »

Icey wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:30 am
Icey wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:57 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:25 am When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29
The bible says a lot of things (many of them ambiguous). People claim it says much more than it does, as it's one of the most 'open for interpretation' writings taken as fact that humanity has ever produced (IMO of course).
If people were decent and took care of this planet, living forever on earth might sound promising. But that's not reality.
But people WILL take care of the earth when Paradise is set up, Icey. When Jesus comes, he will get rid of ALL individuals that are ruining the earth (Rev.11:18). Everyone who wants to obey God will be in the same position that Adam was in, in the beginning. God's purpose then was for Adam to take care of the earth (Genesis 1:28; 2:15), and just because Adam didn't fulfill that assignment---that doesn't mean that God has changed His mind. Humans will have the privilege of caring for the earth, and we will enjoy doing so forever.
WILL taking care of the earth does nothing for the here and now. Not taking care of the earth RIGHT NOW is inexcusable. Holding out for wishful things is wishful thinking, lazy and selfish IMO. Why hold out and wait for a magical being to come and clean everything up?
It's an excuse that's all too easy to use.
I and millions of others are not holding out on taking care of the earth. We do what we can every day to keep our environment clean. The point is that those persons who do not care about the earth and are ruining it with their industries' pollution, and the like, without any concern for the environment---people like that will be expunged from the earth so that they can do no more harm. And there won't be a total magical clean-up of the earth.....we will all take part in doing this. After the incorrigibly wicked are gone, the people that are left (billions, undoubtedly) will do the clean up, with instructions from Jesus Christ.

Checkpoint
Prodigy
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1729

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #1728]



And there won't be a total magical clean-up of the earth.....we will all take part in doing this. After the incorrigibly wicked are gone, the people that are left (billions, undoubtedly) will do the clean up, with instructions from Jesus Christ.
Where is this in Scripture?

User avatar
Tcg
Prodigy
Posts: 4786
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #1730

Post by Tcg »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:27 am
After the incorrigibly wicked are gone, the people that are left (billions, undoubtedly) will do the clean up, with instructions from Jesus Christ.
Jesus will become a construction foreman?

Image

I guess that is as likely as any other profession for the not a man but not god either.


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Post Reply