JW organization.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to:

-vote
-celebrate birthdays
-celebrate Christmas or Easter
-donate or receive blood transfusions.

And if any JW openly persists in doing these things[edit to add publicly], they will be shunned or disfellowshipped, [edit to add or otherwise admonished or disciplined.]

For debate,

1) what do any of these check-list prohibitions have to do with Christianity?

2) And are any of these prohibitions compatible with the idea of Christian freedom?

3) Are these prohibitions arbitrary or legalistic?

4) And could Jehvoah's Witness as an organization flourish without these particular prohibitions and still honor God?

Please address any or all of the above.
Last edited by Elijah John on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: JW organization.

Post #301

Post by onewithhim »

Benoni wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
hoghead1 wrote: [Replying to post 275 by Benoni]

I agree with you. "Jehovah" is a serious mistranslation of YHWH. The fact the NWT repeatedly uses it just goes to show the 'translators" didn't know what they were dong. The NWT has also inserted "Lord Jehovah" abound 239 times in the NT, where it never occurs in the Geek texts. The NWT is a totally corrupt translation, condemned by the majority of major biblical scholars.
What about the Jerusalem Bible, the World English Bible and some others which render the Tetragrammaton as "Yahweh". His name, after all, is not "the LORD".

Karaite Jews render it "Yehovah" so "Jehovah" is not that far off.

And @ Benoni. Adding to God's word? Possibly...but more like restoring the Divine name to it's rightful place of honor, which the Rabbis out of an abundance (or excess) of caution, redacted from the original text. At least in the "Old" Testament. And where the New quotes the "Old", it only logical that the Divine Name be restored to those passages as well.
So what you are saying its ok to change God's Word because others have done it??? JW defend their bias no matter how corrupt. Try seeking truth instead of creating more lies.
His point, as well as mine, has been that JWs haven't changed God's Word but have restored it to what it actually contained when it was first written, over 2,000 years ago.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #302

Post by onewithhim »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I ALREADY DID IF YOU READ MY POST. The name Jehovah is not the first name/title in the Bible but your so call experts ignored this fact and inserted/added the word Jehovah there where it should of been Elohim as well as hundreds of times though out the whole Bible. You claim to be literalist but this bias acts proves all you care about is defending turf and keep this lie going. Talk about sinking sand and promoting a lie. Try seeking truth.
We read YOUR posts, but you do not read ours. I have already explained to you what "Elohim" means and that it is not a name, and that PAGAN GODS are described in the Bible as "elohim." So how can it be God's personal name? There is VAST information about the Tetragrammaton, but you refuse to look at any of it. I posted a link to a site that shows you what the Hebrew letters look like that make up God's personal name, yet you do not want to go there.

"YHWH"---the Tetragrammaton---has been in the ORIGINAL text for millennia. No one has "added" it to the Bible. It has always been there. You prefer that it be extracted from what the Bible originally said.

www.eliyah.com/tetragrm.html

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #303

Post by Benoni »

onewithhim wrote:
Benoni wrote: [Replying to JehovahsWitness]

I ALREADY DID IF YOU READ MY POST. The name Jehovah is not the first name/title in the Bible but your so call experts ignored this fact and inserted/added the word Jehovah there where it should of been Elohim as well as hundreds of times though out the whole Bible. You claim to be literalist but this bias acts proves all you care about is defending turf and keep this lie going. Talk about sinking sand and promoting a lie. Try seeking truth.
We read YOUR posts, but you do not read ours. I have already explained to you what "Elohim" means and that it is not a name, and that PAGAN GODS are described in the Bible as "elohim." So how can it be God's personal name? There is VAST information about the Tetragrammaton, but you refuse to look at any of it. I posted a link to a site that shows you what the Hebrew letters look like that make up God's personal name, yet you do not want to go there.

"YHWH"---the Tetragrammaton---has been in the ORIGINAL text for millennia. No one has "added" it to the Bible. It has always been there. You prefer that it be extracted from what the Bible originally said.

www.eliyah.com/tetragrm.html

HOGWASH...YHWH"---the Tetragrammaton HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE FIRST TWO CHAPTERS OF GENESIS.... Elohim is the first title/name of God. I could careless if it is a name or a title what I hate is JW lying about this in scripture. NO ONE EVER SAID IT WAS A PERSONAL NAME........It has not always been there what a lie. JW added it because their god is their bias. Elohim means many things it is actually plural but one thing it is not is Jehovah. Jehovah was never even used in the Bible until I believe the third chapter of Genesis. Elohim in Ps 90 speaks of humans. My point is why does the JW add the name Jehovah when it is not in the language in that verse. Jehovah is never used by itself it usually has another named with it except for the JW Bible which has its own rules.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #304

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benoni wrote:
HOGWASH...YHWH"---the Tetragrammaton HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE FIRST TWO CHAPTERS OF GENESIS....
Um this is not true.

Gen 2:4

http://biblehub.com/text/genesis/2-4.htm

From the Westminster Leningrad Codex. The oldest complete manuscript of the Hebrew Bible in Hebrew.

�ֵ֣לֶּה תֹולְדֹ֧ות הַשָּ�מַ֛יִ� וְהָ�ָ֖רֶץ בְּהִבָּֽרְ�ָ֑� בְּיֹ֗ו� עֲשֹׂ֛ות יְהוָ֥ה �ֱלֹהִ֖י� �ֶ֥רֶץ וְשָ�מָֽיִ�׃

Darby Bible Translation
These are the histories of the heavens and the earth, when they were created, in the day that Jehovah Elohim made earth and heavens,

Young's Literal Translation
These are births of the heavens and of the earth in their being prepared, in the day of Jehovah God's making earth and heavens;

American Standard Version
These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.

World English Bible
This is the history of the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that Yahweh God made the earth and the heavens.

None of these Bibles are JW influenced.

Care to retract? ;)

There is no shame in being wrong. Only shame in refusing knowledge and wisdom.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #305

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to 2timothy316]

This not change the fact that these translations are wrong there are so many translations. The word easter is used in the KJ and its origin comes from the wife of baa, there all kinds of errors in translations. I be t these translations did not change these names hundreds of time like your false version. Elohim was the first named used for God in the Bible and that is from the original Hebrew not a few bad translation'

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #306

Post by Benoni »

Elohim.... This is the very first name given to God found in the very first verse of Genesis. This name shows that God is the majestic ruler over all. Elohim is actually a plural word and it’s use as the first name of God and sets him high above all other gods Used 2599 times in the Bible I was wrong Jehovah was first used in genesis 2:4. Sorry I thought it was the third chapter it began. Genesis 2:4 – Used 6519 times in the Bible

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #307

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to 2timothy316]

This not change the fact that these translations are wrong there are so many translations.
What it changes is that every translation is incorrect that doesn't use what the Westminster Leningrad Codex uses. In that codex it uses the Tetragrammaton. This is sad because that means there are more incorrect Bible translations than what people are aware of.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #308

Post by Benoni »

2timothy316 wrote:

This not change the fact that these translations are wrong there are so many translations.
What it changes is that every translation is incorrect that doesn't use what the Westminster Leningrad Codex uses. In that codex it uses the Tetragrammaton. This is sad because that means there are more incorrect Bible translations than what people are aware of.
What is wrong is you changing the Bible 300 plus times to fit your bias.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #309

Post by Benoni »

Benoni wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:

What is wrong is you changing the Bible 300 plus times to fit your bias.
Its not sad at all because that is why God sent the Spirit of truth to lead and guide us into all truth. Without the Spirit of Truth the Bible is just another book be in the original text or one of the multiple translations.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #310

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benoni wrote: Elohim.... This is the very first name given to God found in the very first verse of Genesis. This name shows that God is the majestic ruler over all.
Ok so let see if you can tell if the following text is speaking of the majestic ruler over all. I will highlight the place were Elohim are and you tell me if it is referring to the Almighty God.

וְעָבַרְתִּ֣י בְ�ֶֽרֶץ־מִצְרַיִ�֮ בַּלַּ֣יְלָה הַזֶּה֒ וְהִכֵּיתִ֤י כָל־בְּכֹור֙ בְּ�ֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִ� מֵ�ָדָ֖� וְעַד־בְּהֵמָ֑ה וּבְכָל־�ֱלֹהֵ֥י מִצְרַ֛יִ� �ֶֽעֱשֶׂ֥ה שְ�פָטִ֖י� �ֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה׃
Sorry I thought it was the third chapter it began. Genesis 2:4 – Used 6519 times in the Bible
No problem, I have made mistake myself.