Created immortal (indestructable)?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Created immortal (indestructable)?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

To my knowledge "immortality" is only spoken of as being a reward for certain faithful. What is the scriptural basis for saying "humans" were originally created immortal*?

- do you believe Satan is immortal?
- do you believe the wicked are immortal?

- do you believe God can destroy them (as in put an end to their existence) but will never choose to do this?

- do you believe God cannot (does not have the ability to) destroy them (put an end to their existence)?

Why?

*by immortal I mean basically "indestructable"
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

postroad
Prodigy

Post #31

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 30 by ttruscott]
There is no evidence that Job lived before Noah. Are you basing this on the boast of God about there being no man like Job. What would be the point of a flood if God could simply cause them to die? What was the lesson Job was meant to learn? It is my belief that this story is included for the theological purpose of justifying God's failure to protect the Jews even in times when they were relatively obedient. An exortation to continued obedience in hope of an eventual fulfilment.

Claire Evans
Guru

Re: Created immortal (indestructable)?

Post #32

Post by Claire Evans »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Claire Evans wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:- do you believe the wicked are immortal?
...wicked people must be tormented forever.
JehovahsWitness wrote:So do you believe these people are immortal (indestructable)?
I believe the soul and consciousness are immortal which includes being in a state where they have no new life.
Claire Evans wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:- do you believe God can destroy them (as in put an end to their existence) but will never choose to do this?
God can take away what sustains the devil and that is the feeding on the suffering of people. Suffering keeps him alive. Deprive him of that, you land up with a devil with no power and one tormented.
JehovahsWitness wrote:Thank you, but I still can't quite glean from your answer, was that a "Yes" or a "No"?

I think He can put an end to the existence they have now. I don't believe that He can destroy consciousness.
Claire Evans wrote:If God had the ability to destroy Satan by putting an end to his existence, then why not do that now? So my answer is no.
JehovahsWitness wrote:Was that a "No" I don't believe God is powerful enough to put an end to Satan's existence?
The answer is no. I don't believe that God can make Satan go into oblivion.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 32 by Claire Evans] are you indicating that Satan is not a created being?

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #34

Post by Claire Evans »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 32 by Claire Evans] are you indicating that Satan is not a created being?

That is what I'm saying.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by Checkpoint »

Claire Evans wrote:
postroad wrote: [Replying to post 32 by Claire Evans] are you indicating that Satan is not a created being?

That is what I'm saying.
If he is not a created being, what exactly is he?

Are you saying he is eternal or is not?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #36

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Claire Evans wrote: I don't believe that He [God] can destroy consciousness.
Claire Evans wrote:The answer is no. I don't believe that God can make Satan go into oblivion.
Do you not believe God is omnipotent (ie All powerful)?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #37

Post by Claire Evans »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Claire Evans wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: So you believe Satan is immortal. Was he created immortal or do you believe Satan was at some point given immortality?
He wasn't created. He just was just like God is.
JehovahsWitness wrote:So you believe Satan had no beginning and will have no end?
Yes.
JehovahsWitness wrote:Does that not make Satan infinite, an uncreated being equal to God?
He would have been if Jesus had not conquered Satan. Satan has the power of omniscience and omnipresence as God has yet despite this, he was defeated.

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #38

Post by Claire Evans »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Claire Evans wrote: I don't believe that He [God] can destroy consciousness.
Claire Evans wrote:The answer is no. I don't believe that God can make Satan go into oblivion.
Do you not believe God is omnipotent (ie All powerful)?
No, else why is there evil on earth?

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #39

Post by Claire Evans »

Checkpoint wrote:
Claire Evans wrote:

That is what I'm saying.
If he is not a created being, what exactly is he?

Are you saying he is eternal or is not?
He's like God in that he just was. God wasn't created. I believe he is eternal. Revelation 20:10 supports that.

"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Claire Evans
Guru

Post #40

Post by Claire Evans »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 20 by Claire Evans]
That is an astounding statement. That makes him a God in every sense of the word. Your concept however would remove some of the doctrinal difficulties surrounding Christianity. Now a true struggle would be possible eliminating the nagging concern that God is psychoticaly playing with his creation. Which of these Gods created our existence and reality?
If Satan was not a god, which is a generic word, then where does his supernatural powers come from?

If God created Satan, He clearly is playing around in a very nefarious way before look at the suffering that has ensued.

I believe both God and Satan are responsible for our reality. God created us but Satan corrupted us. I believe genetically. I will give you an example of how God and Satan work in an analogy:

Neutral atoms can be turned into positively charged ions by removing one or more electrons

God is the positively charged ion when Satan's power has been disabled in a situation (removing one or more electrons).

Atoms that gain extra electrons become negatively charged.

The more sin people are responsible for, the more powerful Satan becomes (negatively charged).

It's a constant battle between good and evil like in a atom where it is constantly positively and negatively charged.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-diffe ... d-a-proton