JESUS IS NOT YHWH

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

JESUS IS NOT YHWH

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

Jesus prayed to YHWH, the Father, not to himself. (E.g., Matthew 26:39,42; John 11:41,42; John 17:1-26.) Would he have been praying to himself?

He continually referred to himself as "God's SON," not YHWH Himself. (John 5:19; John 8:28,29; John 10:36; John 17:1.) Even the Jews who hated him recognized that fact (John 19:7). Can he be his own Son?

He applied Isaiah 61:1,2 to himself, at Luke 4:17-21, showing that he was the one anointed BY YHWH, and sent BY YHWH. There are incontrovertibly two Persons mentioned in the passage, and YHWH is the One calling the shots. The anointed one does what YHWH wants. How could they be the same Person?

Psalm 110 is also applied to Jesus at Acts 2:34,35. He is the "Lord," or Messiah, that YHWH speaks to. Was YHWH talking to Himself?

I think that just these few points would show plainly that Jesus is not YHWH. Can anyone explain how THESE REFERENCES, ABOVE, can possibly agree with the premise that Jesus is YHWH? I'm not asking for other Scriptures to be brought in without commenting ON the verses I am asking about. Please give me your reasoning concerning these particular Scriptures. Thank you.

Wootah
Savant

Re: JESUS IS NOT YHWH

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by onewithhim]

Christians would agree that in isolation bible passages can mean anything. In this case yes it's clear that Jesus modelled true worship to God.

Really it's just the whole sending an innocent man that Christians find immoral about JW theology. Would you send yourself amongst the wolves or your son?

Then of course how can a perfect man pay for sins against an infinite God? That logic issue never gets resolved.

Finally it goes deeper. Man's desire to beat God. Hercules bested the gods physically and the JW religion wants a perfect man to best God morally.

But yes you can find passages that support you.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 2 by Wootah]

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your input, though I would like your take on the Scriptures I specifically asked about.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by onewithhim]

Jesus taught his followers to pray...
"Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy NAME"
No Jew would have been confused as to the name of the Father in question.

When tempted by the Devil Jesus quoted the Hebrew bible:
Then Yeshua said to him, “Depart Satan, for it is written: 'You shall worship THE LORD JEHOVAH your God and him alone shall you serve.' “ - Matthew 4:10 (Aramaic Bible in Plain English)

"Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah* your God you must worship,+ and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’" - New World Translation
Obviously Jesus was NOT saying he could not worship the Devil because he (Jesus/Yeshua) himself was Jehovah (YHWH) but rather that worship could only legitimately be rendered to a third individual, JEHOVAH (YHWH).

Regarding your point about the scriptures, they again illustrate the absurdity of suggesting Jesus was in fact YHWH...

More scriptural reasons, Jesus cannot be Almighty God (YHWH)
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 572#751572
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Faber
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Faber »

onewithhim wrote:Jesus prayed to YHWH, the Father, not to himself.
You have refuted Modalism but have not refuted the Lord Jesus is God.

The Lord Jesus was properly prayed to several times by others which proves He is God.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #6

Post by onewithhim »

Faber wrote:
onewithhim wrote:Jesus prayed to YHWH, the Father, not to himself.
You have refuted Modalism but have not refuted the Lord Jesus is God.

The Lord Jesus was properly prayed to several times by others which proves He is God.
You haven't offered any understanding of why Jesus would pray to himself.

Faber
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Faber »

He never did.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

Faber wrote: He never did.
The subject of this thread is "Jesus is not YHWH," to refute the claims of certain ones on this forum that say that the two are the same Person. Do you believe they are the same Person or do you believe they are two separate Persons?

Faber
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Faber »

The two are not the same Person. Their is a distinction of Persons within the 1 Triune God.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

Faber wrote: The two are not the same Person. Their is a distinction of Persons within the 1 Triune God.
I see. So they are both equal?