The Christian Response to Homosexuality

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

micatala
Site Supporter

The Christian Response to Homosexuality

Post #1

Post by micatala »

Many Christians consider homosexual practices to be immoral. The forum has multiple threads which include arguments as to whether or not homosexuality should be considered immoral, and even whether this position is supported Biblically.

In this thread, we will take it is a given that homosexuality is immoral.

Under this assumption, what should the response of Christians be to the existence of homosexuality? How should we interact with or treat persons who are homosexuals?

In terms of political society, what sort of laws should Christians support with respect to homosexuality? If there is to be unequal treatment of homosexuals under the law, what is the Biblical basis for this?

Again, arguments concerning the morality of homosexuality are not relevant to the thread. What is relevant is discussion of the possible Christian responses to homosexuality, and what valid rationale there are for these responses.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by Scrotum »

Ah Micatala, i love you man, so good.

Well, If They are TRUE CHRISTIANS(TM), they would want to stone the homosexuals to death......

I think thats it.. Bun the body´s perhaps, but i leave details to John.

wgreen
Student

Post #3

Post by wgreen »

I think our response should be the same as our response to any other sin, be it adultery, theft, covetousness, or pride. We should condemn it and discourage it as sin, all the while acknowledging our own continuing struggle with and involvement in sin.

We don't claim to have no sin, or even to be less sinful than one who is practicing homosexual behavior, but neither do we condone the behavior.

We should point those who practice homosexual behavior to the same Christ who forgives our sins and who helps us overcome them.

"O wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"

"There is therefore now no condementation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

but...

"Shall we sin that grace might increase? May it never be!"

Easyrider

Post #4

Post by Easyrider »

Scrotum wrote:Well, If They are TRUE CHRISTIANS(TM), they would want to stone the homosexuals to death......
You're kidding, right? Know of a single mainstream church that teaches that?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: The Christian Response to Homosexuality

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

micatala wrote:Under this assumption, what should the response of Christians be to the existence of homosexuality? How should we interact with or treat persons who are homosexuals?
What is the response of Christians to adulters, drunkards, prostitutes, rich people and idolators? I don't think that it would be much of a difficulty to extend the same principles to homosexuals. I suppose that there might be a difference between how you tread those who are not in the Church and those who claim to be in the Church. Also there might be a difference between how you treat those who acknowledge it to be a sin and those who do not.
micatala wrote:In terms of political society, what sort of laws should Christians support with respect to homosexuality?
None. Christian opposition is to homosexuality is based only on religious teachings and therefore have no place in secular law. Under the guise of freedom of religion, I would support the right of religious organizations to discriminate against homosexuals in the same way that some religious organizations discriminate against women.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Joe Blackbird
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Joe Blackbird »

The Bible provides an answer to your question. If they are male, it says to murder them. Nothing immoral about that, right?

Lev 20:13 If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

By assuming that homosexuality is 'immoral', as your post asks me to do, I would envision a world in which people from the Judao-Christian tradition are given carte-blanche to murder people for offending their God. People who are not bound by the dictates of the Bible would probably react by doing something drastic, like saying, "I disagree with that persons lifestyle" or some other such insanity.

But if we are going to assume that homosexuality is punishable by death, don't forget to kill the adulterers while your at it. I dare say that would likely also solve any over-population problems this hypothetical world of yours might have. In fact, after a careful reading of Leviticus, one wonders if anyone would be left alive to practice this type of morality.

Easyrider

Post #7

Post by Easyrider »

Joe Blackbird wrote:The Bible provides an answer to your question. If they are male, it says to murder them. Nothing immoral about that, right?

Lev 20:13 If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

By assuming that homosexuality is 'immoral', as your post asks me to do, I would envision a world in which people from the Judao-Christian tradition are given carte-blanche to murder people for offending their God.
Well, let me use one of the "pro gay" arguments (in gist) to answer that.

If Jesus never condemned homosexual behavior like many pro-gays claim (that's another argument altogether), then we can certainly argue back according to the same logic, that Jesus never said to stone gays.

How then can they deny their own brand of logic on this?

Joe Blackbird
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Joe Blackbird »

Easyrider wrote:
Scrotum wrote:Well, If They are TRUE CHRISTIANS(TM), they would want to stone the homosexuals to death......
You're kidding, right? Know of a single mainstream church that teaches that?
The Ku Klux Clan used to BE a mainstream congregation, until people started getting all progressive by protecting minorities and stuff.

Joe Blackbird
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Joe Blackbird »

Easyrider wrote:
If Jesus never condemned homosexual behavior like many pro-gays claim (that's another argument altogether), then we can certainly argue back according to the same logic, that Jesus never said to stone gays.

But wait, I though Jesus was God. Now I'm really confused- didn't God write the Bible? Man you guys have got to get your story straight.

Easyrider

Post #10

Post by Easyrider »

Joe Blackbird wrote:
Easyrider wrote:

But wait, I though Jesus was God. Now I'm really confused- didn't God write the Bible? Man you guys have got to get your story straight.
I understand what you're saying, but they can't have it both ways, Joe. If Jesus is God then gay sex is a sin. But if they wan't to argue that Jesus is not God and never condemned homosexual behavior, then we can certainly argue back according to the same logic, that Jesus never said to stone gays. Which argument / logic do they want to use today?