The kingdom of God.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The kingdom of God.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Some seem to think it is entirely future, while others give the impression they are always thinking of it as present, and to not be looking at the future in kingdom terms at all.

Jesus had much to say about the kingdom, including this:
Luke 16:

6 The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is being zealously urged into it.
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The kingdom of God.

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Checkpoint]

In my experience, few can actually define what God's kingdom is, most launch into a rather vague discourse about it being something about heaven and in ones heart. I will leave the thread to demonstrate how few people (especially nominal Christians) can actually say what God's kingdom is.
God's kingdom refers to his heavenly government which has been in operation since the year 1914 (compare Daniel 4:10-16; Ezekiel 17:22-24; 31:2-5 ; Revelation 12:6, 14). In view of this yes, it is present (in operation) and future in the sense it has not yet taken control of the planet earth (Mat 6:9, 10).
When God's kingdom government does take control of the planet (earth), all human governments will be destroyed and the earth will at long last be the paradise-like "garden" God intended it to be (Dan 2:44; Mat 5:3).

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon May 03, 2021 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]
God's kingdom refers to his heavenly government which has been in operation since the year 1914 (compare Daniel 4:10-16; Ezekiel 17:22-24; 31:2-5 ; Revelation 12:6, 14). In view of this yes, it is present (in operation) and future in the sense it has not yet taken control of the planet earth (Mat 6:9, 10).

When God's kingdom government does take control of the planet (earth), all human governments will be destroyed and the earth will at long last be the paradise-like "garden" God intended it to be (Dan 2:44; Mat 5:3).
The gist of your position is that the kingdom is future only, but has a present aspect that started in 1914.

Why, in your view, was there no present aspect prior to 1914?

So, before 1914, there was no kingdom of God?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Checkpoint]

In my experience, few can actually define what God's kingdom is, most launch into a rather vague discourse about it being something about heaven and in ones heart. I will leave the thread to demonstrate how few people (especially nominal Christians) can actually say what God's kingdom is.
God's kingdom refers to his heavenly government which has been in operation since the year 1914 (compare Daniel 4:10-16; Ezekiel 17:22-24; 31:2-5 ; Revelation 12:6, 14).
How do these verses point to 1914? What exactly do you mean by "in operation"? What exactly did the kingdom start doing in 1914 that it did not do before then? Or did the kingdom not exist before then?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

This image is rather amusing. It would take a special kind of rationalization to view the hundred (and one) years from 1914 to 2014 as kingdom rule.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Checkpoint wrote:The gist of your position is that the kingdom is future only, but has a present aspect that started in 1914.
Yes, exactly; well put. That is why we continue to pray "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"; there would be no point in asking something to come that is already here. The King is in place now (since 1914) but we are awaiting his return in power to destroy the wicked and finally fully vindicate his father's name.

Watch this space!
Checkpoint wrote: Why, in your view, was there no present aspect prior to 1914?
Because scripture said God set an "appointed time for the nations"; in other words, there was a fixed date for the government to go into operation. Jesus and his co-rulers would simply have to wait until that date arrived.
PSALMS 110:1 - ASV
Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
Checkpoint wrote:So, before 1914, there was no kingdom of God?
No messianic kingdom no.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Justin108 wrote:What exactly do you mean by "in operation"?
operating
intransitive verb
: to perform a function : exert power or influence factors operating against our success
: to produce an appropriate effect the drug operated quickly
To function; to act.

JW

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

Justin108 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Checkpoint]

God's kingdom refers to his heavenly government which has been in operation since the year 1914 (compare Daniel 4:10-16; Ezekiel 17:22-24; 31:2-5 ; Revelation 12:6, 14).
How do these verses point to 1914? What exactly do you mean by "in operation"? What exactly did the kingdom start doing in 1914 that it did not do before then? Or did the kingdom not exist before then?
God said to the Messiah long before he began his rule, "Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet." (Psalm 110:1; Acts 2:34,35) That part of Jesus' rule would be "in the midst of his enemies" was brought out in that same psalm, verse 2. That meant that for a time, Jesus would still have his enemies being active on the earth. What he would be doing at that particular time would be guiding his followers on the earth concerning the preaching work--witnessing to all the nations---that had to be done before the end of men's rule. (Matthew 24:14)

He has been guiding his followers for over a hundred years now, to give a thorough witness to all the world. We can tell by the information in the 24th chapter of Matthew, plus Revelation and Daniel, that Jesus will take over rulership of the earth and destroy men's governments any time now. (See Daniel chapter 2. Research the "immense image.")

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

Checkpoint wrote:
The gist of your position is that the kingdom is future only, but has a present aspect that started in 1914?
Yes, exactly; well put. That is why we continue to pray "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"; there would be no point in asking something to come that is already here. The King is in place now (since 1914) but we are awaiting his return in power to destroy the wicked and finally fully vindicate his father's name.
God's will is being done constantly on the earth, as believers live their lives in faith and in obedience. And as others join them by becoming His children too.

It is not God's will that any should perish but that all should come to repentance, as scripture reminds us; 2 Peter 3:9.
The King is in place now (since 1914)
Where else was he before that time?

Checkpoint wrote:
Why, in your view, was there no present aspect prior to 1914?
Because scripture said God set an "appointed time for the nations"; in other words, there was a fixed date for the government to go into operation. Jesus and his co-rulers would simply have to wait until that date arrived.

Quote:
PSALMS 110:1 - ASV
Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
You seem to be saying that Jesus has been sitting there all that time doing nothing other than waiting "until that date arrived" "for the government to go into operation".

Checkpoint wrote:
So, before 1914, there was no kingdom of God?
No messianic kingdom no.

Please explain what exactly you mean by the term "messianic kingdom".

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 8 by onewithhim]
God said to the Messiah long before he began his rule, "Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet." (Psalm 110:1; Acts 2:34,35) That part of Jesus' rule would be "in the midst of his enemies" was brought out in that same psalm, verse 2. That meant that for a time, Jesus would still have his enemies being active on the earth. What he would be doing at that particular time would be guiding his followers on the earth concerning the preaching work--witnessing to all the nations---that had to be done before the end of men's rule. (Matthew 24:14)
Psalm 110 tells the truth about Christ and how he has been ruling in the midst of his enemies from day one, and will continue to do that until his return.

He has had many enemies, but in a parable names one in particular.

That parable of the kingdom is featured and explained in Matthew 13:24-30;36-43.

Do you have ears to hear it and its explanation?