Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

brianbbs67
Guru

Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Post #1

Post by brianbbs67 »

Show me how God's day of rest was changed by Him. I have studied Theology and read Tanakh, KJ, Strong's, Thomson, NKJ and many others. God says he does not change, why would his day? All of my study, shows that there are lots of beliefs, some right to me , others not. But, since Peter's church worshipped on the Sabbath, why are we not?

Constantine decreed Sunday. Roman church(325) approved and adopted "christmas" and other pagan traditions.

If we follow as Christ instructed, known of this would hold water. I am sure this has been covered before, but I am truly curious.

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

I try to keep the Sabbath. By that, I try to have one day of rest per week. Currently, I make that a Saturday but I don't think we have to keep any day in particular. It's just good to rest properly one day a week.

Since most people do not keep the commandments why would you think people would respect the Sabbath in particular?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by brianbbs67]

The weekly sabbath was part of the Mosaic Law (it was one of the Ten Commandments but thos ten became part of the whole code of 613 laws). Christians are not under obligation to keep the Mosaic law (including the ten), they are to keep Christian law and principle.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bjs
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by bjs »

[Replying to brianbbs67]

Christians worship on Sunday because that is the day that Jesus rose from the dead. This tradition dates back to the first century and was practiced by the Apostles. We are told in Acts 20:7 that the church gathered “On the first day of the week…� In First Corinthians 16:2 Paul explicitly told the Corinthians to worship on the first day of the week.

The most common attitude among Christians that I have encountered is that the day of the week doesn’t matter. We worship on the first day of the week because that is the day of the week that Jesus rose, but what matters about worship is that it is done in spirit and in truth. Legalistic concerns with the day of the week actually pull us farther away from the Spirit of Christ.

As a final note, Constantine was not the source of Sunday worship or Christmas. Sunday worship dates back to the first century. Celebrating Christmas on December 25 can be traced back at as as far as a book called Chronographiai by Sextus Julius Africanus, which was written in 221 AD.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

As far as I can tell, there are 5 different Christian views on the Sabbath:
  1. The seventh day of the week Sabbath still applies.
  2. The Sabbath law still applies, but it has been changed to Sunday.
  3. The Sabbath principle applies, you really should take one day off per week.
  4. The Sabbath for Christians is not a weekly thing but something spiritual.
  5. The Sabbath law no longer applies, but the rules about adultery, idolatry and murder still do.
After centuries of dissension and division on this issue, I don't see a consensus happening any time soon.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

martha

Post #6

Post by martha »

It is because of emperor Constantine, who worshipped the sun, sol invictus on Sunday. The Catholic church continued this tradition, and so did most of Christian churches from then on. Now where in the bible does it state that the sabbath has changed to another day. The Jewish people still keep the sabbath.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #7

Post by brianbbs67 »

Wootah wrote: I try to keep the Sabbath. By that, I try to have one day of rest per week. Currently, I make that a Saturday but I don't think we have to keep any day in particular. It's just good to rest properly one day a week.

Since most people do not keep the commandments why would you think people would respect the Sabbath in particular?
Even Christ said to remember the Sabbath day(which day is the Sabbath) Always has been the 7th one. Sunset to sunset

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #8

Post by brianbbs67 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by brianbbs67]

The weekly sabbath was part of the Mosaic Law (it was one of the Ten Commandments but thos ten became part of the whole code of 613 laws). Christians are not under obligation to keep the Mosaic law (including the ten), they are to keep Christian law and principle.
Yes, I know the law. Christ said to follow the law too. But, Peter was given the latitude to "loose" and "bind". The early church meant in Synagoges on Friday night or Sat. Paul even defended the law(some of it). That is how we know what sin is.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #9

Post by brianbbs67 »

McCulloch wrote: As far as I can tell, there are 5 different Christian views on the Sabbath:
  1. The seventh day of the week Sabbath still applies.
  2. The Sabbath law still applies, but it has been changed to Sunday.
  3. The Sabbath principle applies, you really should take one day off per week.
  4. The Sabbath for Christians is not a weekly thing but something spiritual.
  5. The Sabbath law no longer applies, but the rules about adultery, idolatry and murder still do.
After centuries of dissension and division on this issue, I don't see a consensus happening any time soon.
Yes, we are all arguing the same points as they did. But, the one point I can't see as changed, as God never did it, is the Sabbath day.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #10

Post by brianbbs67 »

martha wrote: It is because of emperor Constantine, who worshipped the sun, sol invictus on Sunday. The Catholic church continued this tradition, and so did most of Christian churches from then on. Now where in the bible does it state that the sabbath has changed to another day. The Jewish people still keep the sabbath.
Or Mithros?

Your next point is what I am searching for too. I do not see anywhere it changes. The disciplines would gather Saturday night(1st day) "as was their custom", but they all went to "church" on the Sabbath and held the 7 Feasts also.

I am just trying to "draw nigh unto God, and He will draw you nigh unto Him"

I think we do a great error by not keeping His day. Peter "loosed" the dietary law as Christ allowed. I don't see the Sabbath "loosed" anywhere.