Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

brianbbs67
Guru

Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Post #1

Post by brianbbs67 »

Show me how God's day of rest was changed by Him. I have studied Theology and read Tanakh, KJ, Strong's, Thomson, NKJ and many others. God says he does not change, why would his day? All of my study, shows that there are lots of beliefs, some right to me , others not. But, since Peter's church worshipped on the Sabbath, why are we not?

Constantine decreed Sunday. Roman church(325) approved and adopted "christmas" and other pagan traditions.

If we follow as Christ instructed, known of this would hold water. I am sure this has been covered before, but I am truly curious.

bluethread
Savant

Post #121

Post by bluethread »

By Grace wrote: I will proceed on what I began earlier

it is necessary to understand that the Sabbath is NOT a day for worship.

Deuteronomy 5: 12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates;, that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou. 15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. KJV

It is therefore a day of REST. It is a day of REST for everyone, including animals. The day of rest is also a REMEMBRANCE of the slavery in Egypt. It is noted that the explanation of the 4th commandment takes up a large chunk of verses, more detailed than many other verses, and it may be the longest-explained.
It is also important to note that the weekly Shabbat is listed as one of Adonai's appointed times and calls for a convocation.

Lev. 23:2-3 "Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the Adonai, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts. Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings."

What one is to do apart from that on Shabbat is not stated and therefore is rabbinic. Worship is not commanded or prohibited, and the same is the case for studying the Scriptures or a communal meal. However, it is clear that somehing is intended. The idea that Adonai's people would convene just so that a convocation has occured does not make sense.

brianbbs67
Guru

Re: Why do we no longer keep the Sabbath?

Post #122

Post by brianbbs67 »

By Grace wrote: [Replying to post 1 by brianbbs67]

Before I go further, I will admit that I did not read through the entire thread, buit there are some good thoughts in the OP as well as faulty conclusions that I would like to address. sincerely, I hope that no one has answered them, and if so, I am sorry to rain on your parade.

Show me how God's day of rest was changed by Him.
It wasn't, and believe it or not, it is made clear in the OT
I have studied Theology and read Tanakh, KJ, Strong's, Thomson, NKJ and many others. God says he does not change, why would his day?
You are correct to state that God does not change. If I could make it clear through Scripture, would anyone pay attention?

BTW from spending years on another site dealing with SDA posters, I am aware of standard operating principles of some of the SDA posters, and that is to condemn anyone to hell if I disagree with their prophetess, Ellen White. Know this in advance that I will not respond to posters who post that sort of nonsense.

I shall wait for responses

All replies are welcome(within reason). So, are you saying you can make it clear thru scripture to keep the sabbath or not?

Scripture seems to lead me too Friday Sunset to Saturday sunset.

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #123

Post by By Grace »

[Replying to post 122 by brianbbs67]
All replies are welcome(within reason). So, are you saying you can make it clear thru scripture to keep the sabbath or not?
The answer is "neither".

Perhaps I was not clear.

In my first post, I was essentially saying that it is incorrect to say "Sunday replaced Saturday as the Sabbath. and I did have in mind that this is a Seventh Day Adventist thing, and from being on another site, that was my frame of reference.

When not restrained by the "civility of this site" there were some who actually believe that eternal damnation comes to those who do not worship on Saturday. Since I am a newbie on this particular forum, I was simply "testing the waters" and wanted to avoid anything like I got from those "fervent SDA people"

In my second post I was attempting to demonstrate that the "Day of Rest" remains as the ideal, but due to things in our society, it is not always possible to observe it on Saturday.

Even when I quoted the Jewish sources, I was attempting to demonstrate that the Jewish people primarily have Saturday as the Shabbat, and mostly have the worship on Friday evening.
Scripture seems to lead me to Friday Sunset to Saturday sunset./quote]

Correct. That is why the Seder was in the evening, and why the Jewish day began roughly at 6 AM, and ended at 6 PM which would be in their reckoning the first through the 12th hour. That is how the Crucifixion hours were counted.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #124

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 123 by By Grace]

I think you have the pm and am reversed. "evening and morning were the first day"

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #125

Post by brianbbs67 »

So, By Grace, it seems you affirm the sabbath day. Just some people due to circumstances they can't control, can not observe it.

As to damnation, only God knows that. I don't damn anyone for their beliefs(spiritual). I don't have that power. I will point out when i disagree, but the rest is up to the Almighty. His pay grade is too busy for me...

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #126

Post by By Grace »

[Replying to post 121 by bluethread]
What one is to do apart from that on Shabbat is not stated and therefore is rabbinic.
MOST EXCELLENT, DUDE!! (dudette??)
You are using a great principle of logic here. And that is "Silence on an issue ONLY proves silence on THAT issue.

A corollary of that is "negatives prove nothing" If there were in Scripture something that stated "do this... or "do not do this" it would be positive evidence in either direction. As it is, silence is simply a void in which nothing can grow.
Worship is not commanded or prohibited, and the same is the case for studying the Scriptures or a communal meal.
Observances of the Feasts are commanded for the Jews. Is that what you mean?
However, it is clear that something is intended. The idea that Adonai's people would convene just so that a convocation has occurred does not make sense.
Are you referring to the OT or NT in that statement?

As Christians, we are commanded to meet with our brothers and sisters:
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. KJV

So there is the reason for coming together with the purpose of worshiping, IMO

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #127

Post by By Grace »

[Replying to post 125 by brianbbs67]
So, By Grace, it seems you affirm the sabbath day. Just some people due to circumstances they can't control, can not observe it.
It would be more accurate to state that I affirm A Sabbath day, just not mandatory on Saturday, and that I affirm it as a day of rest.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #128

Post by brianbbs67 »

By Grace wrote: [Replying to post 125 by brianbbs67]
It would be more accurate to state that I affirm A Sabbath day, just not mandatory on Saturday, and that I affirm it as a day of rest.
I was in the same camp, till i dug a little deeper. Every reference to the Sabbath in the OT defines it very well. Jesus(Yeshuah, Yehoshua, Yehushua), however you call him, encouraged keeping the Sabbath holy. And following the Law. So, since God does not changed, how could his rules? Unless, He decrees it?

That said , I do not discouraged worship of Him, any day. I believe that the Sabbath is the rest day, unchanged, since our world was put into motion. "How do the priests work on the Sabbath and remain blameless?"

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #129

Post by By Grace »

That said , I do not discouraged worship of Him, any day. I believe that the Sabbath is the rest day, unchanged, since our world was put into motion. "How do the priests work on the Sabbath and remain blameless?"
Simple. they take another day because Shabbat services are required as a part of their work as Rabbis.
I think you have the pm and am reversed. "evening and morning were the first day"
Who were the humans that were around to observe Shabbat during the First Week of Creation? (rhetorical question)

You see, the Shabbat did not come until Moses gave it to the Jews. So what you are doing there is taking something out of its context, and attempting to make Scripture say something it does not say. That is why it is ABSOLUTELY important to understand the context of a verse, or else distortions develop.

Of course, I am not stating that you do this on purpose. That would be uncivil.

bluethread
Savant

Post #130

Post by bluethread »

By Grace wrote: [Replying to post 121 by bluethread]

Worship is not commanded or prohibited, and the same is the case for studying the Scriptures or a communal meal.
Observances of the Feasts are commanded for the Jews. Is that what you mean?[/quote]

Observance of Adonai's appionted times are commanded for anyone who chooses to associate themselves with Adonai.
However, it is clear that something is intended. The idea that Adonai's people would convene just so that a convocation has occurred does not make sense.
Are you referring to the OT or NT in that statement?

As Christians, we are commanded to meet with our brothers and sisters:
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. KJV

So there is the reason for coming together with the purpose of worshiping, IMO
Both. If we are to refer back to the point that you considered "most excellent", the passage you quoted says nothing about worship or when to meet. The purposes of meeting, in that passages is, (Vs. 23&24) "Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;). And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:" (Vs. 26) "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,". Since this was written to the Hebrews in the diaspora, one would expect, under the principle of stare decisis, one would meet on Shabbat, not the first day of the week. Since you are using this as a justification for meeting, you are accepting that. Therefore, if you willfully choose to violate the Shabbat, there remains no more sacrifice for that.