Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

The World's Newest Major Religion - No Religion

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

Article from NATGEO: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... -religion/

Article from the Pew Research Center: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... ous-nones/

They are called 'Nones' or people that are religiously unaffiliated. Perhaps you have asked someone their religion and they answered 'I'm spiritual but don't believe in religion'.

For debate: Is the 'None' dogma trend healthy or good for society? Is it scripturally supported to be a 'None'? Are all 'Nones' beliefs acceptable to God? What scriptures support or condemn the idea of 'many beliefs and teachings all serving one God'.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

I think that maybe a lot of the "nones" have always been nones. From what I can gather, when it comes to census's, people have often put ticks next to religions because it is in their family background. So if they have a family background that is Catholic, they will tick catholic on the census, even if they aren't a practising one themselves. Who knows just how true this is or to what extent this is/was happening.

Nevertheless, in New Zealand here, there has been some effort to enlighten people when it comes to the census and that they don't actually have to tick a religion. It's perfectly ok to select "none".

Perhaps people are just being more honest about their beliefs now? In which case that is a good thing. I don't see anything wrong with being honest about that sort of thing. Better than pretence. Better to have an honest society of atheists and agnostics, than one that lies or exaggerates about gods.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The World's Newest Major Religion - No Religion

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by 2timothy316]

Have you thought that in view of bible prophecy this has to be the next big development; after all when Babylon goes it will not mean the end to religion, prayer or belief but to organized religious institutions. In order to pull that off the general climate must be towards the a acceptance of religion by name and cultural family holidays only and general individualism.

How else could such a huge shift be possible?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 3 by JehovahsWitness]
I agree.

In our weekly Bible reading this week I was reminded of "Whoever is not on my side is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." Mat 12:30.

Like the scribes and Pharisees of Jesus' day, they didn't bring people together they were always attempting the scatter people away. They didn't care what scattered them, just as long people were scattered away from Jesus.

Jesus also said, "Or how can anyone invade the house of a strong man and seize his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Only then can he plunder his house." Mat 12:29. As groups people are stronger, yet as individuals people are weaker. Satan is called a lion, seeking to devour someone. Lions pick out the individuals. They don't try to attack whole groups.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 4 by 2timothy316]

Indeed, religion has always been a major part of Satan's system; there will be no cutting off of a leg of Satan's three legged stool and the stool still standing... as horrible as false religion has been it has been a force for communities, clans and nations to stick together and fight together...

These are interesting times we are living in - the message has never been clearer "Get the sheep out and stand well back... for the lady is soon to burn!" Did you notice in Revelation, only the travelling merchants mourn her... the "waters" of people she sat over are not recorded as making any protest at all. No doubt most will be at home with their prayer mats and candles, praying to Allah 5 times a day or chanting that "Its a relationship not a relgion" no church or mosque necessary.

Interesting times!!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

dio9
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by dio9 »

For debate: Is the 'None' dogma trend healthy or good for society?

Yes I think so, in these days religions seem to be the cause of so much suffering dividing people into us and thems. Because of extent and violence of religous fanaticism today , I honestly think it would be better if people didn't practice religion. Maybe religion is something thats time has passed. Jesus knew he was the son of God, we should all know it.

Is it scripturally supported to be a 'None'? Well not Paul's letters caus he is all about religion, but Jesus' teaching on religion on the other hand is questionable . in saying Man was not made for the sabbath , rather the sabbath was made for Man.

are all 'Nones' beliefs acceptable to God? Lets just say one doesn't need religion to meet God, we need loving people.

What scriptures support or condemn the idea of 'many beliefs and teachings all serving one God'. " In that day All the nations will come to the Lord God" , or something like that by Isaiah.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

2timothy316 wrote:
For debate: Is the 'None' dogma trend healthy or good for society?
It's a great start. Hopefully it will grow to the point that religion loses the grasp it has on so many humans. If we are lucky, there will come a time when individuals are free to state casually that they are atheists and no one will make the false assumption that they are evil people. This would be a great advance for society.
Is it scripturally supported to be a 'None'?
When people realize that religions and individuals twist scripture to teach whatever bias they prefer, then yes, this will support the decision for many to become "Nones".
Are all 'Nones' beliefs acceptable to God?
The only thing they have in common is that they claim not to be religiously affiliated. This tells us nothing about their beliefs.

In spite of this fact, I'm sure some religions will find a way to claim this isn't acceptable to God in much the same way many claim that other religions aren't acceptable to God.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

The politics of systems of disparity is the problem, and there is no guarantee that the world will get any better or that humans will survive long enough to become a type 1 civilization. Just because people change from being 'religious' to being 'spiritual' does not signify any world-changing events will unfold as a result.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

dio9 wrote:
What scriptures support or condemn the idea of 'many beliefs and teachings all serving one God'. " In that day All the nations will come to the Lord God" , or something like that by Isaiah.
All nations? You mean every person in every nation is going to follow Lord God? North Korea?

Is an individual a nation?

I'll give you this credit though. at least you gave a part of a scripture. Most have just given an opinion.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by 2timothy316]

This subheading is very confusing, "The World's Newest Major Religion - No Religion". How could "No Religion" be "The World's Newest Major Religion".

How could no religion be a religion? This would be the equivalent of claiming having no gas at all in your car's tank would be evidence of a full tank of gas.