Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

God is a crook

Post #1

Post by Tart »

This quote is taken from another forum.
I don't know why your God needs money, but it is surely faith that keeps the money dropping into the collection plate.
A lot of people tell us that religion is a scam to shovel out loads of money... But is that true?

Now i dont doubt that people in the past have manipulated religion for their own gain, but people in the past have used all methods necessary for their own gain... People have used government and politics for their own gain. They have used honesty from people, for their own gain. Shoot even "love" has been manipulated and taken for peoples own selfish gain...

Does that mean religion is a bad thing? Well do you think government, honesty and love are bad things as well? I dont...

So that aside, is God immoral for tithe?

Here is my take on giving money...

Before i was a Christian, i was bankrupt... I didnt have enough money for my life, neither did i have enough worldly things... No way would i give it away! My goal was to be rich, so i can live it up, upper class. Give me a million... No, make that a billion... That way i can actually be fulfilled in my life...

Well that didnt work, I turn up homeless, backpacking around the Colorado mountains...

While out there i started seeking God and read the Bible... It changed my entire protective of life, and it was a fulfillment of that void i had in my heart... God can fulfill these things..

See becuase scripture says, God takes us out of the world. That God has overcome the world and all its worldliness, that we are to deny ourselves take up our cross and follow Christ. Where we are crucified with all our passions and desires... That we will be dead to sin...

Now i want to give my money. I dont want to be rich anymore, becuase riches are found in other things... God will satisfy our hearts, its prophetic. He will reveal to us a path he mapped out already, that we will be satisfied...

Since then, within the last 5 years i have given thousands of dollars away.. Iv given time and money, and i do it in praise of God overcoming the world..

In fact, when we look to Jesus, and live in Jesus, not only has he overcome worldly desires like wealth... He has also overcome persecution, and pressing evil...

I think Christians are the hardest people to get along with, kind of an odd thing to say as a christian... But when anyone treats me bad, wrong me, or whatever, i look to Christ...

Everyone denied Christ when they put him to death for nothing. The beat him, mocked him, denied him, and crucified him... And he prayed for their forgiveness... I have coem to terms with this... If everyone denies me, let it be true for Gods path for me.... Take my money, and take my life... Let Gods will be with me, and let me deny myself for God....

Much better then all the money and fame in the world...

steveb1
Scholar

Re: God is a crook

Post #2

Post by steveb1 »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]

I believe that God is real, but is not a creator, intervener, judge, or founder of religions/writer of scripture. So I do not believe that tithing or other "churchly" financial practices issue from God.

However, I do think that there is a valid, authentic, decent attitude toward houses of worship, as well as toward the well-being of adherents and their surrounding societies, which states that a certain amount of income should be dedicated to "God's glory" (church buildings, grounds, schools) and "God's service" (church members, their families and the larger extra-church community).

God doesn't demand it. Rather it's a case of our love and reverence for God naturally responding to the gift of divine grace. Which, ideally, will create sacred worship space and economic, material and spiritual care for both the "churched" and the "unchurched" in modern society.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Religion *can* be a very very bad thing. The bible book of Revelation presents false religion as a greedy, corrupt, blood thirsty, gold grabbing whore called "BABYLON THE GREAT" and urges honest hearted people to "Get out!" of her (Rev 18:4). Jesus threw the money makers out of the temple, accusing them of making financial gain from people's devotion and made no secret of his utter distain for the religious leaders of his day. False religion misguides, oppresses and keeps people in spiritual darkness; it misrepresents God and has caused much suffering to humanity. As was often said by Joseph Rutherford, (second President of the Watchtower Society), refering to false religion, "Relision is a snare and a racket!". Happlily soon, according to bible prophecy, her days are numbered.

That said, True Religion, religion based on the eternal truths found in God's Word the bible, is a beautiful thing. True religion is the means by which humans can render worship to our magnificient, our wonderful, our loving, awesome, beautiful creator. True religion is liberating and educational and reflects the beautiful qualities of the Creator of the universe Jehovah God.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 3 by JehovahsWitness]
That said, True Religion, religion based on the eternal truths found in God's Word the bible, is a beautiful thing. True religion is the means by which humans can render worship to our magnificient, our wonderful, our loving, awesome, beautiful creator. True religion is liberating and educational and reflects the beautiful qualities of the Creator of the universe Jehovah God.
Well put.

It is as this verse tells us:
James 1:27

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #5

Post by imhereforyou »

Bad people can spoil anything that's good. From a Christian perspective, look what they did to The Garden!
While religions aren't all bad, some are. And out of those, some are bad because of the people. Is it fair to say religion whatever is bad because of a few/many bad people? That's not for me to say. But I would be suspect of such a religion.

Is God a crook? I'm not sure, but, according to the bible, he is a murderer at least so to say he's a crook might not be that far of a leap to make (though I think murderer is a lot worse than a crook).

This is mostly assuming one believes in God (or a god), of course.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 5 by imhereforyou]

There is a difference between murder and killing. One is forbidden, the other is not.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #7

Post by imhereforyou »

brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 5 by imhereforyou]

There is a difference between murder and killing. One is forbidden, the other is not.
Maybe, though the one being killed, usually, won't share the above definition. But I suppose s/he doesn't matter.

But when it comes to a being (aka God) that should be above such petty things (IMO anyway) I would think him to have a better grasp on the subject. But then again, God is jealous and quick to anger so maybe I'm expecting too much.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

imhereforyou wrote: God is ... quick to anger so maybe I'm expecting too much.
You do know that is the exact opposite from what the bible says, right?
PSALMS 103:8

The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #9

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]
Actions speak louder than words. Some may be ok with a god that asks like a man but I expect more. Killing babies isn't something I equate to 'abounding in love.' But that's just me I suppose.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by 2timothy316 »

imhereforyou wrote: [Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]
Actions speak louder than words. Some may be ok with a god that asks like a man but I expect more. Killing babies isn't something I equate to 'abounding in love.' But that's just me I suppose.
Indeed, actions do speak louder than words and do you know why He has not destroyed all those killing babies and stopped all the other horrible things this world is doing?

He is waiting for maximum number possible to repent. Perhaps He's even waiting on you to turn to Him.

“Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.� (2 Pet. 3:9)

Don't worry about all the past horrors that have happened. All of those will be restored. But a person that is destroyed in the final war Armageddon will never live again. People don't need to worry about the babies, their future is life in the resurrection (Rev 21:4), they should be concerned with their own future. People that doing unrighteous things are the futures God is worried about. You speak of actions, what actions are people taking to save themselves? If Jehovah was to bring an end to the wickedness of this world right now, based on 1 Cor 6:9-10 and 1 Tim 1:9-10, think of yourself and all those around you and then ask, who would be counted as righteous? I know personally if Jehovah decided to begin Armageddon ten years ago, I would have been 'cut off' from the living, gone forever. So would my wife and my best friends.