Is the book of Revelation fact or fiction?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Is the book of Revelation fact or fiction?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The following writing seems to address the status of the Book of Revlation accurately.

REVELATION: Fact or Fiction?
March 27, 2011 by Derrick Garland Coy

Recently I was watching MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell on his show, The Last Word, when, in responding to a rival TV host who claimed that the Japanese earthquake and tsunami were evidence of the last days as depicted in the book of Revelation, he retorted, “The book of Revelation is a work of fiction that describes how a truly vicious God would bring about the end of the world. No half-smart religious person actually believes the book of Revelation anymore. Those people are certain that their God would never turn into a malicious torturer and mass murderer beyond Hitler’s wildest dreams.�

Opinions (with evidence please).

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #31

Post by JehovahsWitness »

EBA wrote: If that is true, why do you suppose both Peter and Paul received that revelation?

What Revelation are you refering to?
EBA wrote:

Why has that "day" lasted 104 years, so far?
Because in our interpretation it's not a literal 24 hour day, and it was evidently meant to be at least 104 years.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is the book of Revelation fact or fiction?

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius.advice]

I would classify a series of hallucinations, fictional. Proponents of hallucinogenic drugs think there is some value in hallucinations, although none of them that I have ever heard claim that hallucinations should be taken literally.

I guess fictional tales may be enjoyable for some, but to take them factually is not justified.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #33

Post by EBA »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
EBA wrote: If that is true, why do you suppose both Peter and Paul received that revelation?
The same one you are referring to, "The revelation of Jesus Christ.

Peace.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #34

EBA wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
The same one you are referring to, "The revelation of Jesus Christ.

Peace.

In that case I'm afraid I don't understand the question...

Peter and Paul were probably dead by the time the book of Revelation was written...

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by ttruscott »

polonius.advice wrote: No half-smart religious person actually believes the book of Revelation anymore.
Oh thank you for making a prima facia case that anyone who believes the book of Revelation is less than half smart right of the git go...

What hubris! Who are you to judge, oh man?

I think the book of Revelation says exactly what GOD wants it to say and very well too, thank you. Guess that makes me 1/4 as smart as you, eh? 1 Corinthians 2:7 No, we declare God's wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Aren't "visions" different than reality?

Post #36

Post by ttruscott »

polonius.advice wrote: https://psychologydictionary.org/vision/

What is VISION? definition of VISION (Psychology Dictionary)

Sorry - you lost me at half smart....
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #37

Post by EBA »

JehovahsWitness wrote: In that case I'm afraid I don't understand the question...
EBA wrote:If that is true, why do you suppose both Peter and Paul received that revelation?
Peter and Paul were probably dead by the time the book of Revelation was written...
Perhaps they were, but they didn't need a book.

The revelation of Jesus Christ was not given to them in written form, but in the same form that John received it; the difference is that John was instructed to:
"Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter" (Rev 1:19), whereas Paul and Peter were not.

Nevertheless, they were given the revelation of Jesus Christ just as all of his chosen are.

God Bless and peace be to you

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #38

So were you referring to personal revelations recieved by Peter and Paul not written down?
EBA wrote: ...they were given the revelation of Jesus Christ just as all of his chosen are.
Okay. So why would that invalidate the Jehovah's Witness understanding of John's (written) Revelation?
EBA wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
It was primarily written for us living in "the Lord's day" which we (Jehovah's Witness) believe started in 1914 and continues to our present time.
If that is true, why do you suppose both Peter and Paul received that revelation?

I'm sorry I would love to understand your question but I still don't understand it.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 am, edited 6 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #39

duplicate (sorry)

polonius
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by polonius »

ttruscott wrote:
polonius.advice wrote: No half-smart religious person actually believes the book of Revelation anymore.
Oh thank you for making a prima facia case that anyone who believes the book of Revelation is less than half smart right of the git go...

What hubris! Who are you to judge, oh man?

I think the book of Revelation says exactly what GOD wants it to say and very well too, thank you. Guess that makes me 1/4 as smart as you, eh? 1 Corinthians 2:7 No, we declare God's wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.

RESPONSE: Please note that I am only quoting the statement you accuse me of.

Please read the original post again:
The following writing seems to address the status of the Book of Revlation accurately.

REVELATION: Fact or Fiction?
March 27, 2011 by Derrick Garland Coy

Recently I was watching MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell on his show, The Last Word, when, in responding to a rival TV host who claimed that the Japanese earthquake and tsunami were evidence of the last days as depicted in the book of Revelation, he retorted, “The book of Revelation is a work of fiction that describes how a truly vicious God would bring about the end of the world. No half-smart religious person actually believes the book of Revelation anymore. Those people are certain that their God would never turn into a malicious torturer and mass murderer beyond Hitler’s wildest dreams.�

Your apology is accepted.

However, if someone in a religious claim tries to argue that 2 + 2 really equals 5, I would conclude that he is in error. ;)