Naming the Animals

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Naming the Animals

Post #1

Post by Bugmaster »

In one of the creation accounts in Genesis, God creates Adam, and then parades a bunch of animals before him, at which point Adam gives each animal a unique name.

My question is: why does God charge Adam with this task ? Why can't God (being omni-everything) name the animals himself ?

Interestingly enough, other myths and religions assume (sometimes, implicitly) that the power to name things is uniquely a human province. The power to name things is what separates humans from animals, spirits, goblins, etc.; it is this power that is the basis of most magicks.

AB

Post #31

Post by AB »

McCulloch wrote:
AB wrote:No. Adam wasn't given the task due to the fact Eve was not on the scene. You have perverted the reality. Nice. Seems like y'all are treating this as a comical situation. You know, you should really dig deep and get serious about what God wants for you in your reality.
Except for a few evangelical literalists, everyone sees that a story with talking serpents is a myth, a parable, not to be taken literally
I think it happened as recorded
. I am sure that there is some spiritual significance to the fact that God allowed humans to name the other animals rather than doing it himself.
Naw, there is no such "spiritual fluffy misty" significance. Hard reality: God desired a relationship with Adam. Adam was a working partner taking care of the land and naming the animals.

AB

Post #32

Post by AB »

[
Reading the narrative, it appears as if the all-knowing all-powerful God is creating beasts and birds as an attempt to find a helper suitable for the solitary human He has created.
Right off the bat you are "backing into" a logical framework you can debate from.

Come on. Let's deal with the reality and discuss on that.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by McCulloch »

It is quite clear for many people that the first few chapters of Genesis are not reality but myth. Snakes do not talk.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

AB

Post #34

Post by AB »

McCulloch wrote:It is quite clear for many people that the first few chapters of Genesis are not reality but myth. Snakes do not talk.
Myth: A myth is an attempt to explain a phenomenon of nature, and event in history, or the origin of a particular custom, practice, or religious belief. - (From a Dictionary I have.. William D. Halsy, Editorial Director.)

My question: If it is, as you say a myth, can you guarantee the myth is incorrect?

By the way, just because snakes don't talk now, does not guarantee a snake didn't talk before.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by McCulloch »

AB wrote:By the way, just because snakes don't talk now, does not guarantee a snake didn't talk before.
Snakes do not talk. In any other context, we correctly interpret that tales where animals talk are fictional. Is there any particular reason why this tale should be read any differently?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

AB

Post #36

Post by AB »

McCulloch wrote:
AB wrote:By the way, just because snakes don't talk now, does not guarantee a snake didn't talk before.
Snakes do not talk. In any other context, we correctly interpret that tales where animals talk are fictional. Is there any particular reason why this tale should be read any differently?
Ok, do you agree that Eve was manipulated by something in discussion or some kind of communication? .. I am assuming you accept the narrative of Adam/Eve in general.

For me, my answer is there is a reason to read this "tale" differently. It is the Bible and Word of God. With that said, I guess I do fall on the literal interpretation side of this. Unless indicated otherwise, I go with the literal.

Jester
Prodigy

Re: Naming the Animals

Post #37

Post by Jester »

AB wrote:
Jester wrote:
Bugmaster wrote:My personal opinion is that the God of Genesis is really a localized god, sort of like Coyote or Zeus....
Humans may be mortal, frail creatures, but inside them lurks the power that makes even the gods tremble.
Though the idea is novel, it really can't be drawn out of the Bible. A much more plausible intrepretation is that God choses to have people work for the purposes of educating/growing them. Regardless of whether or not all agree with this concept, I think it's much more consistent with what is written in the Bible. One would really have to go to another religion to find a concept of God/gods fearing human beings.
I also feel it has to do with how God wants to have a relationship with us. By naming the animals, Adam was a working partner with God in that scene.
Agreed.