God's Attributes

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

theleftone

God's Attributes

Post #1

Post by theleftone »

Cathar1950 wrote:What is Gods power? Why is he called all-powerful or all-knowing or omni-present? Why does God have these attributes and where is he attributed them in the bible?
Cathar1950 asked about the attributes of God and where these ideas about God come from. I thought it'd be good to move such a discussion to a new thread in TDD.

Questions for debate.
1. What are the attributes of God?
2. Where are these ideas found in Scripture?
3. Where are these ideas found in doctrinal history? (Jewish/Christian)

KnowJah
Student

Post #2

Post by KnowJah »

These are his main attributes (I have them memorized too)
love, wisdom, justice, and power, - love being his greatest.

Power- Isaiah 40:26, Jeremiah 10:6, Hebrews 4:12

Justice- Psalm 37:28, Isaiah 61:8, Deuteronomy 32:3,4

Wisdom-Job 9:4, Romans 11:33, Psalms 104:24, Romans 16:27, Proverbs 2:6

Love- 1 John 4:8, 1 John 4:19

A good chapter in Ezekiel mentions all these qualities together. In Ezekiel 1:4-10, he uses a bull to symbolize God's power, an eagle to symbolize his wisdom, a lion to symbolize his justice, and a man to symbolize his love.

Of course there is way more scriptures that support this. I got it from this great book that go in depth on all of God's qualities.

adlemi
Apprentice

God is not the scriptures..........

Post #3

Post by adlemi »

KnowJah wrote:These are his main attributes (I have them memorized too)
love, wisdom, justice, and power, - love being his greatest.

Power- Isaiah 40:26, Jeremiah 10:6, Hebrews 4:12

Justice- Psalm 37:28, Isaiah 61:8, Deuteronomy 32:3,4

Wisdom-Job 9:4, Romans 11:33, Psalms 104:24, Romans 16:27, Proverbs 2:6

Love- 1 John 4:8, 1 John 4:19

A good chapter in Ezekiel mentions all these qualities together. In Ezekiel 1:4-10, he uses a bull to symbolize God's power, an eagle to symbolize his wisdom, a lion to symbolize his justice, and a man to symbolize his love.

Of course there is way more scriptures that support this. I got it from this great book that go in depth on all of God's qualities.
Why don't we ask directly the Lord God what His actual attributes are and let us be fully dependent on God for the truth that we want to arrive at in this discussion. The scriptures are not the Lord God and only our understanding is what we get if we will continue using them to satisfy our mind with respect to the attributes of God. God is alive and real and God will surely hears us should we submit ourselves directly under His tutelage and care.

KnowJah
Student

Re: God is not the scriptures..........

Post #4

Post by KnowJah »

adlemi wrote:Why don't we ask directly the Lord God what His actual attributes are and let us be fully dependent on God for the truth that we want to arrive at in this discussion. The scriptures are not the Lord God and only our understanding is what we get if we will continue using them to satisfy our mind with respect to the attributes of God. God is alive and real and God will surely hears us should we submit ourselves directly under His tutelage and care.[/color]
Wait what? So you believe in the Lord God (which is repetitive) and yet you dont believe in his written word? I'm kind of confused where you are getting at but those really are his attributes, that is truth. We were made in the image of God which is why we are able to reflect all these qualities. Even his creation testifies to all these attributes.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

adlemi wrote:Why don't we ask directly the Lord God what His actual attributes are and let us be fully dependent on God for the truth that we want to arrive at in this discussion. [...] God is alive and real and God will surely hears us should we submit ourselves directly under His tutelage and care.
Do you think that He will post on this web site? Why don't we (or maybe just the faithful) ask Him? Why or why not?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

KnowJah
Student

Post #6

Post by KnowJah »

Lol. Yea this post specifically asked for God's attributes and where they are found in the scriptures.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by adlemi »

McCulloch wrote:
Do you think that He will post on this web site?
What I am sure of is that God will come in to the lives of those who will truly call on Him directly true to their heart and soul. We are a living witness to this kind of dealing of the Lord God with mankind.
Why don't we (or maybe just the faithful) ask Him?
Yeah, why don't we? Even the bible is also a witness (as written records of events done by God to mankind) to this dealing of the Lord God with men.
Why or why not?
Now the ball is with us.

adlemi
Apprentice

God is not the scriptures..........

Post #8

Post by adlemi »

KnowJah wrote:Lol. Yea this post specifically asked for God's attributes and where they are found in the scriptures.
That's it fella, this post specifically asked for God's attributes, hence the answer must comes directly from he Lord God himself who has the said attributes. Why look into the scriptures when the scriptures is not the Lord God himself in the first place? What if the scriptures are not accurate? God is always accurate, infallible, and an omnipresent God.

Put God above all things even to the scriptures, God is more than the scriptures.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by adlemi »

KnowJah wrote:
Wait what? So you believe in the Lord God (which is repetitive) and yet you dont believe in his written word?

From whom did you learn that God who is alive and real acknowledges the bible that it is His actual and original written word? By whose authority are you saying this thing? Can you tell me what must I believe from the bible?
I'm kind of confused where you are getting at but those really are his attributes, that is truth.
My Good Pastor and Teacher is the Lord Jesus Christ himself who comes in to our life and it is from Him (the Lord) that I learn that the bible is not His totally actual written word but same also contains word of the devil, letters, traditions, laws, and cultures of men. It is from the Lord that we learn that the real attributes of God can be made known to men by the LOrd God himself and not by just reading the bible.
We were made in the image of God which is why we are able to reflect all these qualities.

God said that we were made with spirit and without sin from the beginning of creation and in those two images of God that we were created but not to know the attributes of God by means of the bible alone. Only by means of God himself that these attributes of God can be made known to us today, no less no more.
Even his creation testifies to all these attributes.
It is because biblical people learned directly from God unlike people of today who only learn directly from the bible which is not God.

KnowJah
Student

Post #10

Post by KnowJah »

adlemi wrote:My Good Pastor and Teacher is the Lord Jesus Christ himself who comes in to our life and it is from Him (the Lord) that I learn that the bible is not His totally actual written word
Matthew 22:29: Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.