What is the Biblical view of hell?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: The concept of Hell is one of the many unmarketable, embarrassingly unbelievable religious concepts that has been recently swept under the altar in the severely diluted quasi-belief system that passes for Christianity in certain circles.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, I think this is why Christianity invented eternal punishment in hell. They started to realize that just plain dying wouldn't be compelling. So instead they invented the concept of "Everlasting Punishment" for those who refuse to comply.
Questions for debate:
What concepts do we have of hell that are not in the Bible?

otseng
Savant

Post #41

Post by otseng »

At the risk of breaking the rules (but, since I'm the admin, I'll make an exception for myself), the word hell is used quite often in English idioms. So, I imagine it would also be used as an idiom in other languages.

Here's just a sampling:
All hell broke loose
As hot as hell
Bat out of hell
Beat the hell out of it
Come hell or high water
For the hell of it
Give them hell
Go to hell
Hell hole
Hell in a handbasket
Hell on earth
Hell yes
Mad as hell
One hell of a gun, shot, throw, car, ___
Raise hell
Rot in hell
Shot to hell
Snowball chance in hell
To hell and back
Until hell freezes over
What the hell

https://www.phrases.org.uk/cgi-bin/phra ... cgi?w=hell

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #42

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

PinSeeker wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
otseng wrote:
Moses and Elijah appeared during the transfiguration of Jesus.

Luk 9:30
And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias:
It was a vision, an optical illusion, Moses and Elijah were not literally there, it just looked as if they were ...
Jesus commands: “Tell the vision to no one until the Son of man is raised up from the dead.�​—Matthew 17:9.
There are a great many instances of visions in the Bible, in the Old and New Testaments. Some -- but certainly not all -- were dreams. But exactly none were "illusions." Just because something is described as a "vision" does not necessarily mean it was not a historical event. In many of them people and/or angels appear and disappear/vanish, but they were really there. Some were used by God to give the receivers insights into future events. None were "optical illusions." Many -- this one included -- were actual events.

In Matthew 17, Verse 4 -- where Peter offers to build three tabernacles, one each for Jesus, Moses, and Elijah -- speaks to the concreteness of this event. This event is also described by Luke (chapter 9), and he is even more explicit, saying that Peter and his companions had been overcome with sleep but had become fully awake by before witnessing Jesus in His glory and the two men standing with Him (Moses and Elijah). Mark is very explicit, also (chapter 9). Moses and Elijah were indeed there with Jesus for a short time. It was no "illusion." It was an historical event.
Yeah, and not to mention the fact that; not all translations has "visions" in Matthew 17:9. The proper translation of that verse needs to be decided.

Second, the Lord appeared to Ananias in a vision (Acts 9:10-12), and no one is denying whether or not this vision was historical or an illusion. So why the doubt in Matt 17:9?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: What is the Biblical view of hell?

Post #43

Post by ttruscott »

shnarkle wrote: Here again, I can't help see that it is Adam's body that is formed from the earth and returns to the earth, but is this really who Adam is? I don't think so.
Ecclesiastes 12:7 ...and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the SPIRIT returns to God who gave it. Gave it what? Life on earth as a human!
shnarkle wrote:I think Adam is having an identity crises. He thinks he is separate from God, but he is the very image of God. I think the fall is simply this false identity which necessarily dies along with the body.
I'm confused...this read one way seems to make the image of GOD to mean the same as the essence as GOD, a concept I had to drop many years ago because I realized I was a sinner and GOD cannot do evil (nor create it)...ie, the Hindus are wrong, I am not of the essence of God.

Iow, the person in the image of GOD can indeed be separate from GOD in sin. I contend that even the demons were created in the image of GOD but irreparably broke that image by their sin of the unforgivable sin.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #44

Post by Overcomer »

Jehovah's Witness wrote:
What do you think SHEOL is that it can literally get excited? Is it possible we are dealing with poetry sheol being spoken of metaphorically as a gatekeeper?
No. My examples show that it is a literal place -- a place where the souls of the dead go.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #45

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Overcomer wrote:
And Peter tells us that Jesus preached to the spirits in prison (1 Peter 3:18, 19), a passage which refers to Jesus descending to Sheol to show those who had died bodily that he had fulfilled the prophecies regarding the Messiah.

Does the word SHEOL or HADES occur in this passage?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #46

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Overcomer wrote: Jehovah's Witness wrote:
What do you think SHEOL is that it can literally get excited? Is it possible we are dealing with poetry sheol being spoken of metaphorically as a gatekeeper?
No. My examples show that it is a literal place -- a place where the souls of the dead go.
So if it's a place (a geographical location) how does it get excited? Isn't that like your backyard falling in love? Or your kitchen getting angry?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #47

Post by Divine Insight »

otseng wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, I think this is why Christianity invented eternal punishment in hell. They started to realize that just plain dying wouldn't be compelling. So instead they invented the concept of "Everlasting Punishment" for those who refuse to comply.
Questions for debate:
What concepts do we have of hell that are not in the Bible?
For me, the meaning of the term "hell" is a moot point.

To begin with the vast majority of Christendom teaches that hell is is a place of eternal torment. So does 99% of Christendom have their own theology incorrect? :-k

If so, then no one could be blamed for believing that hell is a place of eternal torment.

From the Vatican:
1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."
So the Roman Catholic Church certainly teaches this and proclaims its truth.

We also have Mathew claiming that Jesus said the following:

Matthew 25:46 And these (the unrighteous) shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Some claim that everlasting punishment simply amounts to death. But if Jesus was the WORD made flesh he should have been able to know that death and everlasting punishment are not the same thing.

He also has Jesus saying the following:

Matthew 13:
[49] So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
[50] And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Casting them into a furnace of fire? Where there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Dead people don't wail and gnash their teeth.

So whether we want to call this "Hell" or not is basically irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. IMHO, that would just be a meaningless argument over the semantics of the word "Hell".

I think it's crystal clear that this theology teaches that people who are not accepted by this God are going to face an extremely painful death at the very least, and possible even worse.

Mark 9
[40] For he that is not against us is on our part.
[41] For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.
[42] And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
[43] And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
[44] Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
[45] And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
[46] Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
[47] And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
[48] Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Here Mark has Jesus actually using the term "Hell" as a place where the fire is never quenched and their worm dieth not.

It's hard to say what he means by "their worm" but it certainly seems to imply that whatever was cast into hell remains alive in some sort of state.

And here he's using the term "hell" as directly referring to the fire that never shall be quenched.

So it would seem to me that Christian theologians who want to argue against the Christian hell have a lot of work cut out for them.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #48

Post by Divine Insight »

otseng wrote: I'd like to start with what the Old Testament says.
I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that the Jews don't believe in hell. It's my understanding that the concept of hell was introduced by Jesus in the New Testament in verses along the lines of those I previously posted. I believe there are other references that Jesus made along these lines as well.

Therefore going back to the Old Testament looking for references to hell would be irrelevant since the original Jews didn't believe in a hell. Hell is a concept that Jesus made up apparently. Jesus is the one who introduced that concept of hell as a place of eternal torment and suffering. Where the "worm" never dies.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #49

Post by AgnosticBoy »

shnarkle wrote: No, the lake of fire is not hell. We know this from verse 14 where it states:

Hell is not the lake of fire. Hell is thrown into the lake of fire. This only makes sense if the word "hell" is referring to the grave. Death and the grave are thrown into the lake of fire. Do you think death and the grave are going to be tormented forever in the lake of fire?
I can agree that Hell is not synonymous with the Lake of Fire but that alone does not mean that there's no eternal punishment in the Bible. Instead of using the term "Hell", the biblical writers referred to eternal punishment by describing what the "Lake of Fire" involves in Revelation 20:10. This passage says specifically that the Devil will be tormented there "forever".
shnarkle wrote:We have the author's definition to help us understand what he's actually talking about. He points out that to be thrown into the lake of fire is actually the second death. Unless death has some other definition which is commonly understood and accepted to mean eternal life, it doesn't make much sense to assume a second death means the exact opposite of what it is commonly accepted to mean. Death means the end of life, right?
If death meant the end of life then there would not be a need to a second death since life would end with the first death. Therefore, your point is inaccurate.
shnarkle wrote:Moreover, it is only after everyone has been judged that death is destroyed We know this from Paul's comment:
1 Corinthians 15:26 26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
If death were thrown into the lake of fire FIRST, and then everyone else who was judged to the lake of fire, it would stand to reason that they would suffer forever due to the fact that death had already been obliterated in the lake of fire. This isn't the case though.
It could mean that the "first" death is thrown into the Lake of Fire but interestingly it does not say that the "second" death is thrown in the Lake of Fire. The Lake of Fire is itself called the "second" death (Revelations 20:14).
shnarkle wrote:Not really. As I pointed out earlier, death and the grave aren't exactly sentient beings. The author is exaggerating to make a point. We live in a world where loved one's suffer and die, and we suffer at the loss of our loved ones. The author is showing that at some point, the tables will be turned and instead of us suffering, it will be death and the grave personified that will be tormented forever.
You said that when the author mentions the Devil being tortured "forever" that he's exaggerating the point. I disagree. I see no evidence for this beyond just your claim.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #50

Post by shnarkle »

[Replying to post 38 by Overcomer]

Barry Webb, in his commentary says that the king is “a representative figure, the embodiment of that worldly arrogance that defies God and tramples others in its lust for power� (The Message of Isaiah, InterVarsity Press, 1996, p. 83). So it isn’t merely for that time and those people. As Webb notes, it refers to all those down through history who commit crimes against humanity. He describes how they end up in Sheol.
And yet, Mr. Webb is pointing out that the author is using figurative speech. To embody worldly arrogance is to point out that it isn't literally anyone at all.
J. A. Motyer, in his commentary, says it expresses several Old Testament truths about the dead. First and foremost is the fact that they are alive,
I find it amazing how someone can come to the conclusion that it is some sort of obvious fact that those who are dead are actually alive. Where do people come up with this stuff?
meaning that “in the Bible, death is never a termination, but a change of place and state with continuity of personal identity� (The Prophecy of Isaiah, InterVarsity Press, 1993, p. 143).
Okay, then by this logic we can safely assume that a dead corpse is never a termination point, but a change of place and state with continuity of personal identity? Well we can see that the body changes its location from above the ground to below; check, and it's still the same body that was always used to identify the person it belonged to; check. Therefore the truth is that it must then be alive. I don't think so.
There are other Scripture passages that speak to the ongoing existence of one’s soul after physical death.
We can say the same thing for the dead body. It still exists, right? We can see it, smell it, hear it bubbling and gurgling in the hot sun, right? No doubt about it, it's still there. It still exists, and these scholars must logically believe that it's still alive as well, right? If not, then why the double standard?
For example, there is Rev. 6:10 in which the martyrs cry out to God, saying, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?�
Yep, and Genesis has the same sort of thing happen when Abel's blood cries out to God as well. So we can safely assume that Abel's blood was alive and could cry out just like a bunch of dead martyrs.
Then there is the account of the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31. Some people consider it a parable, but I don’t. Jesus never names anyone in his parables and uses general examples for all to relate to.
He uses the name of Lazarus in this parable so we have at least one parable where he uses a name. There is no rule that prohibits one from using names in parables. Moreover, names have meanings that help one to understand the message of the parable. Of course this isn't going to work if one has already decided that it can't be a parable.
Even if it were a parable, Jesus never told fanciful stories, that is, stories in places with no correlation to real people and real places.
He never told fanciful stories? Huh? Oh so telling everyone that he would go to Jerusalem to suffer and die, and then rise from the dead three days later isn't fanciful at all; got it.

Here's another one, the Prodigal Son is extremely fanciful in that for a father to run after a son who has asked for his inheritance only to squander it, is not just fanciful, it's scandalous.

Here's another one: A man is going to hold a feast so he sends out invitations, buut his friends all can't make it so what does he do? He sends his servents into the streets to ask perfect strangers to come to his feast. Yeah, that's something we all hear about all the time, right?

Oh, wait, here's yet another one: A man goes out and hires people to work for him . Then a few hours later, he goes out again and hires a few more people. Then a few hours later he hires some more people. Finally an hour before quitting time, he hires some more people. When it comes time to pay his laborers, he pays them all the same wage they all agreed upon. Yeah, real people do that sort of thing all the time.
So he didn't make up the existence of a place where spirits went following death.
He didn't have to as this doctrine was brought back from the Babylonian captivity. Jesus is condemning the Pharisees for their hypocrisy. This is quite evident if one looks at the structure of the whole passage. He is using their own doctrines against them in this parable. The rich man represents the Pharisees while Lazarus represents the gentile world who Israel was supposed to help by manifesting God's law, but has instead taken God's oracles and hoarded them to themselves. Lazarus is a contraction of Eliezar which means "Whom God helps", and that is just exactly what happened when Israel rejected the gospel message. They were left "desolate" while the gospel message went out to the gentile world.

The Pharisees taught that people were paire in life and also in death, and after one died they went to one of three places: 1. Paradise; 2. Under the throne of Judgement; and 3. The bosom of Abraham. When someone died it was common to hear them say, "today he rests in the bosom of Abraham".
And Peter tells us that Jesus preached to the spirits in prison (1 Peter 3:18, 19),
No, Peter doesn't use any word for "preach". The most common would be evangelizo, but instead he uses a word that has nothing to do with the content of what is proclaimed, but the manner of what is proclaimed.
... a passage which refers to Jesus descending to Sheol to show those who had died bodily that he had fulfilled the prophecies regarding the Messiah.
And yet, there is nothing in this passage to suggest any such thing. Instead, he is pointing out a particular time just prior to the flood.

By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah,
Perhaps it would benefit us to look at Peter's reference.
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
So we see that it isn't the spirits of men, but the sons of God who are violating the boundaries God has set. How do we know this? Because this is explicitly stated in Jude 6:
6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
Note that the word is "angels" who didn't stay within the boundaries of their "habitation" (Gr. 'oiketerion"). This is the same word Paul uses in 2 Cor. 5:2 where he states:
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house {oiketerion} which is from heaven:

So Paul is pointing out that we groan in our physical bodies for our spiritual bodies. This is the opposite of what happened in Genesis. The sons of God left their spiritual bodies and put on physical bodies to reproduce with humanity.

Note how we're comparing apples to apples as he also includes the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha:
4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; 2 Pet. 2:3-6
And then there is Paul's statement that to be absent from the body is to be with the Lord (2 Cor. 5:6-8).
That's not what it says in the Greek. In verse 6, he points out that while we are in our physical body, we are absent from the Lord, but it doesn't then follow that leaving our body immediately places us in the presence of the Lord. You already have supplied your own interpretation to Jesus' parable which contradicts this in that Lazarus wasn't present with the Lord, but instead he was in the bosom of Abraham.

In verse 8, Paul doesn't equate being absent from the body with being present with the Lord, but instead has the conjunction "and" (Greek: "kai"). We should be able to note the difference in meaning between our desire to be absent from work and at home watching football verses this idea that to be absent from work is to be at home watching football. The former is what Paul wrote. This is what most translators note and correctly use:

New International Version
We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

English Standard Version
Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Berean Study Bible
We are confident, then, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Berean Literal Bible
Now we are confident and are pleased rather to be absent out of the body, and to be at home with the Lord.

New American Standard Bible
we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

King James Bible
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Christian Standard Bible
In fact, we are confident, and we would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Contemporary English Version
We should be cheerful, because we would rather leave these bodies and be at home with the Lord.

Good News Translation
We are full of courage and would much prefer to leave our home in the body and be at home with the Lord.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
and we are confident and satisfied to be out of the body and at home with the Lord.

International Standard Version
We are confident, then, and would prefer to be away from this body and to live with the Lord.

NET Bible
Thus we are full of courage and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

New Heart English Bible
We are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Because of this we trust and we long to depart from the body and to be with Our Lord.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
We are confident and prefer to live away from this body and to live with the Lord.

New American Standard 1977
we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

Jubilee Bible 2000
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

King James 2000 Bible
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

American King James Version

American Standard Version
we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.

Douay-Rheims Bible
But we are confident, and have a good will to be absent rather from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Darby Bible Translation
we are confident, I say, and pleased rather to be absent from the body and present with the Lord.

English Revised Version
we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
So we have a cheerful confidence, and we anticipate with greater delight being banished from the body and going home to the Lord.

World English Bible
We are courageous, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.

Young's Literal Translation
we have courage, and are well pleased rather to be away from the home of the body, and to be at home with the Lord.