Which parts of the Bible are the Word of God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Which parts of the Bible are the Word of God?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Which parts of the Bible are the "Word of God". How much of it?

Did God bind the Bible in it's entirety from cover to cover, and proclaim, "THIS is my word"? If so, what is your evidence for this? If so, which version, which canon of the Bible is the entire, verbatim Word of God?

The Hebrew Bible?
The Roman Catholic version?
The Orthodox version?
or the Protestant version?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Re: Which parts of the Bible are the Word of God?

Post #31

Post by marco »

tam wrote:
Christ is the Word of God.

Not the Bible.

Not even the bible refers to itself as the Word of God.

But passages IN the bible do bear witness to Christ as the Word of God.

This sounds solemn, Tam, but when we say "Christ is the word" we are being figurative, and inside that there is a wealth of meaning. If the Bible loses its authority as the word of God, then it is pointless to quote it as being a witness to Jesus. As Luke said: Salt is good; but if the salt has lost its savour, with what shall it be seasoned?

tam wrote:
That does not mean that everything (inspired or not) is preserved or copied free from all error, due to the erring pen of the scribes (Jeremiah 8:8; Matt 23:14) who did not always understand what (or WHO) passages were truly about; and translation errors. [/quote

And who of us can rise like the new Moses and give testimony to what is truth. All the same some religious leaders have done just that, and their followers are spread across the globe, truly believing they are aposles of Christ. Who can say they are not? What is the badge of truth?

tam
Savant

Post #32

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to post 27 by Avoice]

I am not going to speak for anyone else (or for a religion), but as a Christian.

Many have hated the Jews over the milennia.
I do not hate the Jews.
But it's not the Jews that people hate. It's God.

I do not hate the Jews OR God.
And God's message.

I do not hate God's message either; though from reading many of your posts, I must disagree with you on what you think that message is.
If the Jews were gone there would be no one holding up the Torah to the world.

What some Jews do has nothing to do with me or on what I am to do; so why would it bother me?

(And unless I am mistaken, Jews do not think non-Jews are under the law of Moses either. Of course, the Jewish religion is divided just like all other religions, so there is no one person or point-of-view that speaks for all Jews or Judaism.)
The Jews are a constant reminder or their disobedience..

I am not under the Mosaic law, so neither that law nor the Jews can be a reminder to me of any disobedience.

They hate the message.

I think you have been misinformed.
They can't kill God though Christianity is as close as they'll get to doing that. Their whole religion is about God being killed and them living forever. Live forever? What for? They'll just make him kill himself again. (Like we can kill God. Yeah...right)

"Christianity" the religion has false teachings, the same as every other religion.

Christ is not "Christianity".

Christ is also not God (the Most Holy One of Israel). Christ is the Son of God.

You are right that no one could kill God. No one could have killed the Son of God either if He had called upon His Father to stop it.

Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? Matt 26:53

Christ gave His life.

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. John 15:13

Life FOR Life.

(The last part of what you said makes no sense to me "they'll just make him kill himself again". I do not know what you are referring to with that.)
They aren't giving up bacon.

I am free to eat (or not) as I choose, but if my Lord told me not to eat bacon, then I would not eat it.

There are also vegetarians and vegans who are disciples of Christ and/or Christian who obviously do not eat bacon (or pork of any kind). You certainly cannot say of them that they hate the Jews and God because they want to eat bacon. That is ridiculous.

Christiabs love their religion because they get to do what they want.
I love no religion.

I do love God and His Son though; and because they loved me first.

I want to do what my Lord says to do.

"Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them." John 14:21

If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love. John 15:10

It's not about doing for God. It's about keeping God away from you

Not at all.

My Lord promises that if we love Him (and therefore obey His commands), the Father will love us and they will come and make their home with(in) us. (John 14:23)

That is the opposite of what you have said.

Christians want God to suffer for them. They are okay with that. Not that God did. But in their heart they like that idea.
Jews would never have such a low opinion of God

If Christ suffered for us, even giving His life for us - out of love for God and for us - this inspires love and gratitude and a high opinion of God and His Son! Do you have low opinions of people who would suffer for you, even give their lives for you? Or would their sacrifice show you how much they love you?

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. John 15:13

May anyone who thirsts, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of life!"

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

marco
Savant

Post #33

Post by marco »

tam wrote:

You are right that no one could kill God. No one could have killed the Son of God either if He had called upon His Father to stop it.

Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? Matt 26:53
Sadly he didn't supply that phenomenal proof of his identity. Doubt isn't a great passport, and words, as we know, are cheap. Of course there is a get-out-of-jail card: "Blessed are those who beleve and see not." Quite so.

marco
Savant

Post #34

Post by marco »

marco wrote:
tam wrote:

Sadly he didn't supply that phenomenal proof of his identity. And only twelve? Did this reflect the twelve tribes?
We recall the time when he DID ask for help with his chalice and it wasn't supplied. So why would legions come? Doubt isn't a great passport, and words, as we know, are cheap. Of course there is a get-out-of-jail card: "Blessed are those who beleve and see not." Quite so.

William
Savant

Post #35

Post by William »

[Replying to post 30 by ]

tam: Christ is the Word of God.

Not the Bible.

Not even the bible refers to itself as the Word of God.

But passages IN the bible do bear witness to Christ as the Word of God.

marco: This sounds solemn, Tam, but when we say "Christ is the word" we are being figurative, and inside that there is a wealth of meaning.

William: Whoever the 'we' are in that, are the 'we' also allocating the figurative to the bible, when they call it 'the Word of GOD'? Do you announce "The bible is the Word of GOD" for the convenience of being able to point to a GODs back end and proclaim "how silly doth GOD appear!"

Jesus was not being figurative when he proclaimed himself The Word Of GOD. Those who mingle around the signage, miss the point entirely, for the wealth of meaning therein, is lost on them.

marco: If the Bible loses its authority as the word of God, then it is pointless to quote it as being a witness to Jesus. As Luke said: Salt is good; but if the salt has lost its savour, with what shall it be seasoned?

William: It is but one witness and while it is unfortunate and convenient to replace Christ with books bound together in finery, the bible is simply one means in which the Christ can be pointed to. Conflating the road sign with the road is what makes the salt lose its savour. One does not reach the destination by milling around a sign which points out the direction to go and proclaiming "see! 'We' have arrived!"

♦ Is The Bible Really The Word Of GOD? Image

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by PinSeeker »

marco wrote: Sadly he didn't supply that phenomenal proof of his identity...
So, you say you need a sign... :D

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #37

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Avoice wrote: [Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

How can you accept the Christian testament as the word if God when not one word is credited to him speaking it?

MATTHEW 3:17

Look! Also, a voice from the heavens said: “This is my Son,+the beloved, whom I have approved.� - NWT
LUKE 9:35

Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying: “This is my Son, the one who has been chosen. Listen to him.� - NWT
JOHN 12:28

Father, glorify your name.� Then a voice+ came out of heaven: “I have glorified it and will glorify it again.� - NWT
Whose heavenly voice do you think was reported above?
JOHN 12:49

I don’t speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it. - New Living Translation

RELATED POSTS
Who do bible writers claim gave them the words they penned?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 508#840508

Who is the AUTHOR of the bible [video included]?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 132#885132

Is everything in the bible equally important?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 997#781997
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

IaLoaou
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by IaLoaou »

Elijah John wrote: Which parts of the Bible are the "Word of God". How much of it?

Did God bind the Bible in it's entirety from cover to cover, and proclaim, "THIS is my word"? If so, what is your evidence for this? If so, which version, which canon of the Bible is the entire, verbatim Word of God?

The Hebrew Bible?
The Roman Catholic version?
The Orthodox version?
or the Protestant version?
The Word of God was made flesh.
No part of the Bible is flesh.

True or false?

Avoice
Guru

Post #39

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 25 by William]

This is for people like Eve. Did she have God's word abiding in her.

She thought she'd love forever. So she was told.

The passage you quoted. Who is it talking about? Really

Avoice
Guru

Post #40

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 31 by tam]

You are worshipping God's creation not the creator .

The one you call Lord is just one of God's creations. God said he will never give his glory to another. So why do you? It's all about Jesus. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

The God of Israel can destroy your lord.