If you don't trust the Bible, Where do you look for truth?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

If not the Bible, what do you look to for truth?

My own interpretations or what my heart tells me
22%
Gather information from many other sources
33%
Scientific discoveries
22%
What my Chruch leaders tell me is truth
No votes
Truth is not possible to find, so I stopped looking
No votes
There is no other source for truth other than the Bible
22%

Total votes: 9

2timothy316
Under Probation

If you don't trust the Bible, Where do you look for truth?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

What say you?
Also, if you don't see an option in the vote then add it in a comment.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: If you don't trust the Bible, Where do you look for truth?

Post #131

Post by onewithhim »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:52 am What say you?
I say that there are many sources that home in on the truth, and having said that, the more I read and listen to other sources, the more I am confident in the Bible. Its truth is always verified by outside sources, as I see it.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #132

Post by onewithhim »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 pm If there is one thing I have learned in my years of discussing TD&D with people is one alarming problem. All those different that say the speak to 'the spirit' that only speaks to them and reject everything else, are not speaking to the same spirit. Why doesn't that alarm those that say they are taught by spirit? Shouldn't this spirit be telling everyone the same thing? Isn't it more likely that the person just telling themselves what they want to hear and there is no spirit at all?
Good point. Indeed, each person that says they speak to Jesus or a spirit that speaks only to them---they are on a seat of briars to explain how this could be legit. As timothy alluded to---how could every one of these spirits be telling Truth? They seem to be telling "truth" to just one person, so why would every other person be getting "Truth" as well if they are hearing something different? I personally consider these "spirits" as demons that are playing with the people that listen to them.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #133

Post by onewithhim »

jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:42 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 pm If there is one thing I have learned in my years of discussing TD&D with people is one alarming problem. All those different that say the speak to 'the spirit' that only speaks to them and reject everything else, are not speaking to the same spirit. Why doesn't that alarm those that say they are taught by spirit? Shouldn't this spirit be telling everyone the same thing? Isn't it more likely that the person just telling themselves what they want to hear and there is no spirit at all?
You have never ever talked to anyone who was born of God.
That is why you get all them different answers, that is why even you
can see the errors and flaws in what they say the Spirit spoke to them.
A spirit did speak to them, but it was not the Spirit of truth.
Oh, I think timothy HAS spoken to someone who is born of God, as have I. A very dear friend of mine is born of God, and there are seven members of our Governing Body that are Born Again. They all say the exact same thing.

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #134

Post by jimtatertayte »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:32 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:52 am What say you?
I say that there are many sources that home in on the truth, and having said that, the more I read and listen to other sources, the more I am confident in the Bible. Its truth is always verified by outside sources, as I see it.
But yet not confident it enough to believe it.

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you,
and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things,
and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #135

Post by 2timothy316 »

jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:52 pm But yet not confident it enough to believe it.
Yet? There is no 'yet' for those that your god decided thousands of years ago will not believe. So are you lying to us that we are able to build confidence to believe? Are you saying it us up to us to whether we are confident or not? Or are you just rubbing our nose in your dogma that we are not able to do what you do?

The Bible says, "Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." - Heb 11:6
Can a person make the choice to seek out God?

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #136

Post by jimtatertayte »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am
jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:52 pm But yet not confident it enough to believe it.
Yet? There is no 'yet' for those that your god decided thousands of years ago will not believe. So are you lying to us that we are able to build confidence to believe? Are you saying it us up to us to whether we are confident or not? Or are you just rubbing our nose in your dogma that we are not able to do what you do?

The Bible says, "Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." - Heb 11:6
I never lie therefore I would not be lying to you. The bible can't talk,
someone of flesh and blood said: "Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." - Heb 11:6
There are many that have faith and do not please God.
Spirit and truth pleases God.

So for this statement to be correct it would have to be worded this way:
without faith in Spirit and truth it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe
in Spirit and truth that he is and that he is the rewarder of them who seek Him in Spirit and truth.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #137

Post by 2timothy316 »

jimtatertayte wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:53 pm

someone of flesh and blood said: "Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." - Heb 11:6

without faith in Spirit and truth it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe
in Spirit and truth that he is and that he is the rewarder of them who seek Him in Spirit and truth.
So a person can choose to seek God and can be rewarded for doing so, cool got it. Glad to see you've altered your dogma.

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #138

Post by jimtatertayte »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:21 pm

So a person can choose to seek God and can be rewarded for doing so, cool got it. Glad to see you've altered your dogma.
A person will choose that to which was already determined by God
that they would choose before they made their choice to which was predetermined
long before they were born.

Isaiah 65:1
I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not

onewithhim
Savant

Post #139

Post by onewithhim »

jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:28 am

I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not
If a person "chooses" that which has already determined by God, then that person hasn't really made a choice, has he? This person is a robot, or, an automaton. He is unable to make choices on his own. I'm sorry, but a merciful, kind God would not do that to people.

"...You must choose life in order that you may keep alive." (Deut.30:19b) How could God say that to anyone with a straight face if the person could NOT choose? The indication that a person can actually choose is seen in the verses before this, where Jehovah warns the people that if they DO NOT choose to obey Him, they will perish. So clearly, a person could choose life or choose to perish.

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #140

Post by jimtatertayte »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:34 pm
jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:28 am

If a person "chooses" that which has already determined by God, then that person hasn't really made a choice, has he? This person is a robot, or, an automaton. He is unable to make choices on his own. I'm sorry, but a merciful, kind God would not do that to people.

"...You must choose life in order that you may keep alive." (Deut.30:19b) How could God say that to anyone with a straight face if the person could NOT choose? The indication that a person can actually choose is seen in the verses before this, where Jehovah warns the people that if they DO NOT choose to obey Him, they will perish. So clearly, a person could choose life or choose to perish.

Oh really? So tell me when do you choose to die?