If you don't trust the Bible, Where do you look for truth?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

If not the Bible, what do you look to for truth?

My own interpretations or what my heart tells me
22%
Gather information from many other sources
33%
Scientific discoveries
22%
What my Chruch leaders tell me is truth
No votes
Truth is not possible to find, so I stopped looking
No votes
There is no other source for truth other than the Bible
22%

Total votes: 9

2timothy316
Under Probation

If you don't trust the Bible, Where do you look for truth?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

What say you?
Also, if you don't see an option in the vote then add it in a comment.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: If you don't trust the Bible, Where do you look for trut

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

2timothy316 wrote: What say you?
Where do I look for truth? From God. If you consider the Bible your sole source of truth, isn't that making a god out of the Bible?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

Truth is found in unlikely places, even in the Bible, but not exclusively so. Literature is a rich source of truth: especially if we sample literature from various cultures. Dead people seem to speak most eloquently: the Chinese give us the thousand mile journey starting with the first step, Rome told us to seize the day and we learn the bitterness of regret in Russian novels while France has offered Proustian thoughts on a lost past.

There is also truth in silent contemplation: I can sit in an Italian church before a pieta and wisdom seems to nudge me rather wistfully. Some find truth on the top of a mountain - because it is there! - but I have always declined this route.

Good question!

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

Elijah John wrote:
Where do I look for truth? From God. If you consider the Bible your sole source of truth, isn't that making a god out of the Bible?
Nope.

If God spoke to you does that make the air vibrations God? Your answer is 'from God'. What communication method from God do you trust?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

marco wrote:

Truth is found in unlikely places, even in the Bible, but not exclusively so. Literature is a rich source of truth: especially if we sample literature from various cultures. Dead people seem to speak most eloquently: the Chinese give us the thousand mile journey starting with the first step, Rome told us to seize the day and we learn the bitterness of regret in Russian novels while France has offered Proustian thoughts on a lost past.

There is also truth in silent contemplation: I can sit in an Italian church before a pieta and wisdom seems to nudge me rather wistfully. Some find truth on the top of a mountain - because it is there! - but I have always declined this route.

Good question!
Can all of these be trusted for truth about God?

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

2timothy316 wrote:
Your question was: Where do you look for truth? Pilate had the same problem. I believe that if we are sincere one way or another we discover. It may not be the answer we anticipated. If we set off with views extracted from someone we admire or some group whose methods we approve of, then we will find echoes of what we already believe. But I would not call this truth. If we empty our hearts, however hard that is, and set off alone in our figurative wilderness, truth will come. Ultimately we might discover that, after all, it is the truth we discarded or the truth we failed to recognise.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

marco wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
Your question was: Where do you look for truth?
This is a forum dealing with theology, doctrine and dogma. I figured people would comment where they get the truth for these things. I didn't realize I needed to restate this.
Pilate had the same problem. I believe that if we are sincere one way or another we discover. It may not be the answer we anticipated. If we set off with views extracted from someone we admire or some group whose methods we approve of, then we will find echoes of what we already believe. But I would not call this truth. If we empty our hearts, however hard that is, and set off alone in our figurative wilderness, truth will come. Ultimately we might discover that, after all, it is the truth we discarded or the truth we failed to recognise.
You said, 'truth will come' but in what way and why can it be trusted?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 7 by 2timothy316]

If you don't lock it down and bolt it you'll find even the most obvious questions get deflected. With this one it will wander off into "mathmatic truth" "culinary truth" and "the true meaning of Freddy Mercurys "Bohemian Rapsody" ...

WHERE DO YOU LOOK FOR RELIGIOUS TRUTH ABOUT GOD?

I have been told that the bible contains both excrement (excuse the frankness, but those were the terms used) and diamonds and that each person must use their own personal filter to decide which is which. As you know, I don't hold to this view but I think more or less that is the view of most people today, especially Christians. They may call the filter "God speaking to them", "critical thinking" or "holy spirit" but it still come down to not being able to accept everything in the bible as the Word of God.

I often refer to this as being taken out by "friendly fire"

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Further
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... ed-of-god/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

2timothy316 wrote:
This is a forum dealing with theology, doctrine and dogma. I figured people would comment where they get the truth for these things. I didn't realize I needed to restate this.
God is truth, I am told. So in finding truth one is inevitably finding God. I have said how one finds truth but, like you, I have no instrument that informs me if my find is just fools' gold.
2timothy316 wrote:
You said, 'truth will come' but in what way and why can it be trusted?
When one seeks to discover things one does not always carry a picture of what one will find. Perhaps you are wrong in first deciding what truth is, and then "discovering" your own speculation. If what we have found leads us to give food to the hungry, water to the thirsty and to clothe the needy we may have a good idea we are on the right path. Or so Christ said.

marco
Savant

Post #10

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

I have been told that the bible contains both excrement (excuse the frankness, but those were the terms used) and diamonds and that each person must use their own personal filter to decide which is which. As you know, I don't hold to this view but I think more or less that is the view of most people today, especially Christians. They may call the filter "God speaking to them", "critical thinking" or "holy spirit" but it still come down to not being able to accept everything in the bible as the Word of God.

I often refer to this as bejng taken out by "friendly fire"

I think there is something terrifying in thinking we have complete truth, as if God were small enough to get into our little room. I see fragments of truth in most posts and in many a great deal of sincerity. I don't for a moment think anyone possesses unblemished truth: there is a sprinkling of pride, triumphalism, contempt.... to spoil truth's effect. Truth is probably where one least expects it to be.... even in some of Marco's posts!