Luke 19:27

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

Luke 19:27

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

In Luke 19:27, Jesus is reported to have said, "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me" (KJV).

What do Christians think this means?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Sleepy »

It's part of a parable written to suit the culture of the time and hence be understood. The king in the story is acting according to the authority of his station.

The ultimate moral for this parable is that there will be a final judgement. I don't think you can read into it anything more than that, unless you want to, but then you can always twist things if you wish to.

In modern day terms it would be the equivalent of...

Bring those who are guilty of treason before me so that I may judge them and put them in jail.

author@ptgbook.org
Student

Post #3

Post by author@ptgbook.org »

I think it means that God will destroy His enemies. God in His mercy gives everyone a chance to repent and turn to Him, but He gives us free moral agency, and some will chose to remain God's enemy and will not repent. God will ultimately destroy them in the lake of fire so that they can no longer make themselves and others miserable by their sinful ways. They will cease to exist and be as if they had never been.

God will not have his children living in an eternity of war and strife with God's enemies, and only those who are willing to live in peace according to God's perfect law of love will be given eternal life and live forever.