A house divided?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

A house divided?

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

Whether there is a 'true christian' denomination has been discussed elswhere.

However, in Matthew 12:25, Jesus is reported to have said: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand." (KJV)

Is this an absolute principle and does this principle apply without exception? If so, what does that say about Christianity? Certainly it can be demonstrated by glancing at a roster of various denominations and sects within christianity that it can be said to be a ‘house divided against itself’.

Even in the microcosm of this forum, christian theists rarely find themselves in agreement on all issues, and any specific church’s position can vary on important issues according to whom you ask.

With this in mind, and considering the absolute nature of the principle ascribed to Jesus in Matthew 12:25, what does this say about Christianity as a whole?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Easyrider

Re: A house divided?

Post #2

Post by Easyrider »

bernee51 wrote:Whether there is a 'true christian' denomination has been discussed elswhere.

However, in Matthew 12:25, Jesus is reported to have said: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand." (KJV)

Is this an absolute principle and does this principle apply without exception? If so, what does that say about Christianity? Certainly it can be demonstrated by glancing at a roster of various denominations and sects within christianity that it can be said to be a ‘house divided against itself’.

Even in the microcosm of this forum, christian theists rarely find themselves in agreement on all issues, and any specific church’s position can vary on important issues according to whom you ask.

With this in mind, and considering the absolute nature of the principle ascribed to Jesus in Matthew 12:25, what does this say about Christianity as a whole?
What does it say about evolution where one faction believes the Cambrian explosion occurred by gradualism while another faction argues for punctuated equilibrium? Can a house divided still stand? What does that say about evolution?

However, your argument reminds me of a Promise Keeper's rally a few years back. The speaker asked everyone to name their denomination. About 50,000 men yelled out hundreds of different denonimations and it was unintelligible to discern what was being said. Then the speaker asked, "Who is your Lord and Savior?" In what sounded like one voice they all yelled, "Jesus Christ!"

Next...

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by adlemi »

bernee51 wrote: With this in mind, and considering the absolute nature of the principle ascribed to Jesus in Matthew 12:25, what does this say about Christianity as a whole?
Unknown to many, Christianity is of two kinds in our time today, the Biblical believing Christian and the God-lical believing Christians.

1. Biblical Believing Christians -those who believe in God through the bible and by what the bible says about God. To some of them but not to all, the bible is infallible and the only source and final authority in TRUTH and revelations outside of what the bible says are not acceptable to them. They are of different religious denominations with different beliefs and doctrines which they extracted from the bible. They are all bible users and they further say that the bible can teach people the truth, hence the bible is the manual to know God.

2. God-lical Believing Christians - those who believe God as God does exist alive and real. They are those who truly trusted the Lord God as God comes to their life in the physical way of revealing things to them beyond what the bible says. The Lord God is their Good Pastor and Teacher and they all get their wisdom from the Lord God himself. To them, the bible is not totally the pure word of God for the bible does contain also word of Satan and his devils, letters, doctrines, traditions, and cultures of men. They only believe those things which the Lord is teaching them personally and they do not treat the bible to be infallible for only One is infallible to them - the Almighty Lord God of all ages.

The former is a clear description of a "house divided" because they are different Christian denominations with differences in some areas of their beliefs and doctrines and they have different men pastors whereas on the other hand, the latter is totally united with the Lord because it is the Lord God who is leading, teaching and guiding them and the teaching always emanates from the Lord God himself. Not to mention among the few prominent Christian denominations which are now in total failure are just a clear proof of this verse in the book of Matthew.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by achilles12604 »

This applies to the whole world.

Atheism has many different beliefs.

Agnostics used to be considered atheists but now they are a totally different section.

Can you count the divisions in the Hindu or Buddhist beliefs?

Divisions in the christians church rarely disagree about critical issues. They differ on small things.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

achilles12604 wrote:Divisions in the christians church rarely disagree about critical issues. They differ on small things.
Small things like:
  1. Abortion Rights
  2. Homosexual Rights
  3. Creationism v Science
  4. Women's Rights
  5. Divorce & Remarriage
  6. Degrees of Biblical literalism and interpretation
  7. Trinity
  8. Eternal Torment
  9. God's role in society
  10. Inter-faith relations
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Sleepy »

McCulloch wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:Divisions in the christians church rarely disagree about critical issues. They differ on small things.
Small things like:
  1. Abortion Rights
  2. Homosexual Rights
  3. Creationism v Science
  4. Women's Rights
  5. Divorce & Remarriage
  6. Degrees of Biblical literalism and interpretation
  7. Trinity
  8. Eternal Torment
  9. God's role in society
  10. Inter-faith relations
You would be wise to note it is not just the church that disagrees on issues such as these. Is it therefore the church that is in conflict over them or all people?

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Post #7

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

adlemi wrote:
bernee51 wrote: With this in mind, and considering the absolute nature of the principle ascribed to Jesus in Matthew 12:25, what does this say about Christianity as a whole?
Unknown to many, Christianity is of two kinds in our time today, the Biblical believing Christian and the God-lical believing Christians.

1. Biblical Believing Christians -those who believe in God through the bible and by what the bible says about God. To some of them but not to all, the bible is infallible and the only source and final authority in TRUTH and revelations outside of what the bible says are not acceptable to them. They are of different religious denominations with different beliefs and doctrines which they extracted from the bible. They are all bible users and they further say that the bible can teach people the truth, hence the bible is the manual to know God.

2. God-lical Believing Christians - those who believe God as God does exist alive and real. They are those who truly trusted the Lord God as God comes to their life in the physical way of revealing things to them beyond what the bible says. The Lord God is their Good Pastor and Teacher and they all get their wisdom from the Lord God himself. To them, the bible is not totally the pure word of God for the bible does contain also word of Satan and his devils, letters, doctrines, traditions, and cultures of men. They only believe those things which the Lord is teaching them personally and they do not treat the bible to be infallible for only One is infallible to them - the Almighty Lord God of all ages.

The former is a clear description of a "house divided" because they are different Christian denominations with differences in some areas of their beliefs and doctrines and they have different men pastors whereas on the other hand, the latter is totally united with the Lord because it is the Lord God who is leading, teaching and guiding them and the teaching always emanates from the Lord God himself. Not to mention among the few prominent Christian denominations which are now in total failure are just a clear proof of this verse in the book of Matthew.
How does someone is your "Godlical-Believing" church determine that the Lord God is the source of the teaching?

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Sleepy »

bernee51 wrote:Whether there is a 'true christian' denomination has been discussed elswhere.

Is this an absolute principle and does this principle apply without exception? What does this say about Christianity as a whole?

OK firstly context. This was response to Jesus who was accused of 'casting out demons' in the name of the devil.

His point was any kingdom that is in civil war against itself (fighting against itself and its own purposes) shall not stand.

I think you are perfectly valid in applying this to the church. A church that does not show its own members love and respect is hardly going to be sustainable. Heck this would even be in direct contradiction to Jesus teachings and as such would be sinful anyway.

The difference here is wherever you see disagreement, so long as this is done in love and respect so that differences can be worked through, the kingdom is not in civil war but rather in healthy discourse.

I think thats the best way of illustrating your well pointed out issue for the church. Too many Christians are so wrapped up with their own opinions and showing what Jesus taught, they forget that they are firstly supposed to reflect who Jesus was. I am sure you have seen examples of this on these forums countless times and on their behalf I humbly apologize.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by bernee51 »

Sleepy wrote:
I think you are perfectly valid in applying this to the church. A church that does not show its own members love and respect is hardly going to be sustainable. Heck this would even be in direct contradiction to Jesus teachings and as such would be sinful anyway.

The difference here is wherever you see disagreement, so long as this is done in love and respect so that differences can be worked through, the kingdom is not in civil war but rather in healthy discourse.
What MUST be given, in addition to the love and respect, is acceptance...even in the face of the fact that the differences may be irreconcilable.
Sleepy wrote: I think thats the best way of illustrating your well pointed out issue for the church. Too many Christians are so wrapped up with their own opinions and showing what Jesus taught, they forget that they are firstly supposed to reflect who Jesus was. I am sure you have seen examples of this on these forums countless times and on their behalf I humbly apologize.
Mahatma Gandhi expressed it this way..."I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Hinduism comes from a background of not being a religion of conversion. This stems from the doctrine of ahimsa.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by adlemi »

FiredUp4jesus wrote: How does someone is your "Godlical-Believing" church determine that the Lord God is the source of the teaching?
The Lord God Jesus Christ himself is the One teaching His Church whose members are scattered all over the faces of the globe. It is no different with how the Lord taught Paul then.