JESUS IS NOT GOD

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

JESUS IS NOT GOD

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

I would very much like to get opinions on this subject. I'll provide several verses from the King James Version of the Bible, and I ask you to give me feed-back.

Jesus' words:

1) "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." (John 5:19)

2) "My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." (John 7:16)

3) "Neither came I of myself, but he sent me." (John 8:42)

He replied, after the Pharisees accused him of making himself God:
4) "Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the SON of God?" (John 10:36)

5) "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say....Whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak." (John 12:49,50)

6) To his Father in prayer: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God , and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3)

7) "I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God." (John 20:17)

To John in the Revelation:
8) "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God..." (Revelation 3:12)

Do these quotations show that Jesus was NOT God?

Do YOU believe that he claimed to be God?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: JESUS IS NOT GOD

Post #391

Post by onewithhim »

Brightfame52 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:41 am Jesus is God and the Man Christ Jesus the Mediator between God and Man
Please comment on the opening post.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #392

Post by Brightfame52 »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:43 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:41 am Jesus is God and the Man Christ Jesus the Mediator between God and Man
I did.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #393

Post by onewithhim »

Brightfame52 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:42 am
I did.
I apologize....I missed it if you did. To be totally candid, your posts are so long a person hesitates to take the time to read them. Could you be more succinct with shorter posts?

Would you take just a couple points in the opening post and comment on them? Say, even two out of the eight?

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #394

Post by Brightfame52 »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:54 am
I did.
I apologize....I missed it if you did. To be totally candid, your posts are so long a person hesitates to take the time to read them. Could you be more succinct with shorter posts?

Would you take just a couple points in the opening post and comment on them? Say, even two out of the eight?
The way I post is the way I post. I did comment on it by my comment. Jesus is presented in scripture as God and Man both. When you post numerous scriptures defining His Mediatorial Manhood, it doesnt detract from the verses indicating He is God.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #395

Post by onewithhim »

Brightfame52 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:39 am
I did.

The way I post is the way I post. I did comment on it by my comment. Jesus is presented in scripture as God and Man both. When you post numerous scriptures defining His Mediatorial Manhood, it doesnt detract from the verses indicating He is God.
Can you please comment directly on John 5:19 and John 8:42? It would be helpful. Thank you.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #396

Post by Brightfame52 »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:05 pm
I did.

Can you please comment directly on John 5:19 and John 8:42? It would be helpful. Thank you.
They are true.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #397

Post by onewithhim »

Brightfame52 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:39 am
I did.

They are true.
Yet they contradict what you are saying about Jesus being God. They say that Jesus can't do a single thing on his own but only what he sees God doing, and, also, the things he says are not what he thought up but they are what the Father (God) tells him to say. Therefore, he cannot be God.

You quote a very few scriptures that seemingly say that Jesus is God, but upon closer examination we see that they are not actually saying that. When John wrote his Gospel he said in verse 1 that "the Word was a god," meaning that the Word, Jesus, was an important, powerful individual. That is what his audience understood "god" to mean. He didn't mean to suggest that the Word was God Almighty. Why base your thoughts on a mere handful of verses that can be taken more than one way, and not on the hundreds of verses that clearly show that Jesus is subordinate to the Father (God)?

"No one has seen God at any time, and the only begotten god that is close to the Father is the one who has explained Him." (John 1:18) Clearly Jesus is different from "God."

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #398

Post by Brightfame52 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:39 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:39 am
I did.

They are true.
Yet they contradict what you are saying about Jesus being God. They say that Jesus can't do a single thing on his own but only what he sees God doing, and, also, the things he says are not what he thought up but they are what the Father (God) tells him to say. Therefore, he cannot be God.

You quote a very few scriptures that seemingly say that Jesus is God, but upon closer examination we see that they are not actually saying that. When John wrote his Gospel he said in verse 1 that "the Word was a god," meaning that the Word, Jesus, was an important, powerful individual. That is what his audience understood "god" to mean. He didn't mean to suggest that the Word was God Almighty. Why base your thoughts on a mere handful of verses that can be taken more than one way, and not on the hundreds of verses that clearly show that Jesus is subordinate to the Father (God)?

"No one has seen God at any time, and the only begotten god that is close to the Father is the one who has explained Him." (John 1:18) Clearly Jesus is different from "God."
You havent showed a scripture contradicting or saying Christ isnt God. You have only showed scripture showing that He is Mediator the Man Christ Jesus, the Son of God, which I have acknowledged already.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #399

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Brightfame52 in post #398]
So you want scriptures that show that Christ isn't God? OK.

First of all, how can Christ be God when he is the mediator between mankind and God? How can he be the mediator between himself and men? Anyway, I have listed many scriptures in the OP that show that Christ isn't God. If you are having trouble reading them, I'll reintroduce them here.

1) John 5:19: "The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." (KJV)

2) John 7:16: "My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me."

3) John 8:42: "Neither came I of myself, but he sent me."

4) John 10:36: "...I said, I am the Son of God."

5) John 12: 49,50: "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say...Whatsoever I speak, therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak."

6) John 17:3: (To his Father in prayer) "This is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God..."

7) John 20:17: "I ascend unto my Father and your Father, and to my God and your God."

8) Revelation 3:12: "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God which is New Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God."

Apparently Jesus has a God, so he can't be God himself. Can you demolish these verses to show that Jesus is God himself?

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #400

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #399]

Not one of those scriptures say Jesus is not God, they affirm Him to be the Son of God, the God Man Mediator. Jesus is God and the Son of God. Hes both God and Man, you havent disproved that.