Exorcism

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

Exorcism

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

I was listening to Tubular Bells for the first time in decades. This, in turn, reminded me of probably one of the scariest movies ever made.

Which led to a question.

The English word exorcism comes from the Greek exorkosis, which means “out-oath.” An exorcism is an attempt to evict demons or spirits from the body of a (normally living) human being. Belief in exorcism is almost automatic from belief in demons capable of possessing people. So long as there is a belief that demons can posses a person, there will be belief that some people have power over those demons, forcing them to cease their possession.

The exorcism of evil spirits is commonly associated with the ministry of Jesus. Exorcisms are somewhat frequent in the New Testament, but this is curious given the fact that they are apparently absent in the Hebrew scriptures. It appears that belief in demons and exorcism only became really popular in 1st century Judaism, with the Pharisees actively engaged in identifying and exorcising demons.

Is exorcism still relevant in modern christianity?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Exorcism

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

bernee51 wrote:Is exorcism still relevant in modern christianity?
I don't know why it wouldn't be.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Post #3

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

bernee51 wrote: Is exorcism still relevant in modern christianity?
Why do you ask? Do you know someone that needs a demon exercised? :D

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

FiredUp4jesus wrote:Why do you ask? Do you know someone that needs a demon exercised? :D
James 5 wrote:Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.
I would guess by the number of times that demons are linked with sickness in the Gospels, that at least a few of the sick who need forgiveness also probably need a few demons exercised as well. Clearly, sickness is caused either by demons or sinfullness.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

FiredUp4jesus
Scholar

Post #5

Post by FiredUp4jesus »

McCulloch wrote:
FiredUp4jesus wrote:Why do you ask? Do you know someone that needs a demon exercised? :D
James 5 wrote:Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.
I would guess by the number of times that demons are linked with sickness in the Gospels, that at least a few of the sick who need forgiveness also probably need a few demons exercised as well. Clearly, sickness is caused either by demons or sinfullness.
Someone once pointed out to me that all of the miraculous healings were performed on unbelievers. They were suggesting that the purpose of the healing was not the person's physical health, but the health of their spirit, and to demonstrate the reality of the power of God. They illness was well known or readily observable. I've got to say that sounds more likely than the slap on the forhead be healed stuff I've seen on TV.