The Bible rumors

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

The Bible rumors

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Do you believe the Bible rumors about God? The negative ones, like Him condoning slavery, or Him drowning babies in the Flood?

Do you believe rumors against the people in your life that you love?

Do you believe the worst that's said about them? Or the best about them.

For debate,

How can anyone who claims to love God believe the worst things said about him, i.e. the negative Bible rumors?

(apologies to DI for the term "rumors" I borrowed for this post ;) )
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: The Bible rumors

Post #11

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

[quote[Even they are reasonable renderings, you then have the problem of interpreting.

Take, for example: "I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise."

and

"I tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise."

I wonder how you decide where the comma should go. I think - correct me if I am wrong - you make a decision based on what you already believe. So do others, and reach a different conclusions.[/quote]

This translation problem has a simple solution:
not
Do not interpret either way; that is, just translate the sentence and do not put that comma in anywhere.

This would mean they do not "make a decision based on what[they] already believe", but leave that to the reader.

Avoice
Guru

Post #12

Post by Avoice »

This will generate different answers no doubt. What is good to some is not good to others.

Me personally, what God does I would be foolish to criticize. Who am i to decide what is right for God. I only know how to think like a human. Because thats what i am

I do know that I would never believe in a religion that says it was my fault that God killed himself. (Jesus) becsuse I refused to obey him. Abd to have statues and paintings if him bloodued abd nearly naked and dead on a cross?? For the love of God.... that is God hanging there. They have no shame in doing this. Instead they'll say it shows how much he loves them. No. It shows what they really wish God was like. They love the idea of him suffering for them. This shows hiwy much they love him.

Christians somehow feel the God of Israel is an angry God who is unapproachable. And Jesus the god is just the opposite. Well... Christianity is merely a reflection of theur hearts desire. In their hearts they know they disobey God and refuse his law. Of course they belueve they cant be righteous in God's eyes. Thats because they don't try. So yeah...they dont think highly of themself. So when someone like myself says that they can fo right in God's eyes they reject it. They believe God thinks like they do. They cant forgive their mother/ father/sister/ brother/ friend for ________ so they think God wont forgive them. Thats why they accept Jesus as God because then God is like them. But by believing a human was sinless in the flesh they are admitting to God that it can be done. A guy from Nazareth could do it. Why coukdnt they? It can be done. Their whole religion is centered aroubd a nan who proved it can be done. If I were them i wouldn't be in a hurry to tell God that they know the law can be kept but they just didn't want to do it. Theyd rather have God kill himself instead. Ouch!!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 11 by Checkpoint]

In English punctuation is what reenders a text readable and understandable. If the goal of translating is for the text to be understood, removing all punctuation (and I presume you also believe, added words) then this would be counterproductive.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #14

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

The OP topic is not about rumors directed against the Bible, but rather Bible rumors that smear YHVH. The OP is characterizing the negative ones as "rumors" and is attempting to make an analogy to human gossip/rumors against one's loved ones.

If someone loves God, how can they listen to the negative things said about him, (i.e.rumors), believe them and take them seriously?. Such as God condoning slavery, (Exodus 21.20) and the drowning of babies in the Flood?

-YHVH is LORD

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

The OP topic is not about rumors directed against the Bible, but rather Bible rumors that smear YHVH. The OP is characterizing the negative ones as "rumors" and is attempting to make an analogy to human gossip/rumors against one's loved ones.

Er.. okay, well I suppose I misunderstood. I guess there are some "bible rumours" that smear God, one that comes to mind is the Philistine rumour that YHWH was a mountain god that could not fight on level ground (or was it the other way round)... scripture is clear enough in distinguising between "rumour" and truth, not least because God is presented as speaking for himself most of the time.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote:
How can anyone who claims to love God believe the worst things said about him, i.e. the negative Bible rumors?
Spouses who are abused by their mates ask the same kind of questions. Denial is a strong force.

When viewed from the outside, the excuses for the habitual violence fade into meaninglessness. Those who depend on the violent offender for some sort of emotional support, no matter how demented, ignore the reality of the violence committed.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by 2timothy316 »

Rumors against God's Word started with Satan.
“Did God really say that you must not eat from every tree of the garden?� - Gen 3:1
The first rumor was an exaggeration. Which Eve was quick to pick up on.
"At this the woman said to the serpent: “We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden. But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden: ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’� - Gen 3:2, 3
While she was quick to pick up on the misinformation she was just told, the point was not to create a rumor but to get Eve thinking about the trees. In particular the one that she couldn't eat from. Perhaps to get her to question God's decisions. Which is not a a bad thing to do, but something we don't notice Eve ever doing is coming to Adam or even God Himself figure out what the truth is. What we read instead is...
"Consequently, the woman saw that the tree was good for food and that it was something desirable to the eyes, yes, the tree was pleasing to look at. So she began taking of its fruit and eating it." - Gen 3:6
There are many exaggerations that are out there. One might want to consider the source of the rumor and give it some careful study from God's Word before 'swallowing' something deadly.

Are these rumors pleasuring to hear and desirable to look at?
God condoning slavery.
God likes to kill babies.

If they do than it is possible that such as person has been deceived easily because they are hearing what they want to hear? Personally I have found that the rumor can be exposed as not true using the Word of God. But a person that finds the rumor desirable and doesn't even care to verify the rumor will easily accept the bold faced lie when it comes, such as, "you most certainly will not die", like Eve accepted. The greatest lie these rumors set people up for is, "God doesn't care about us or doesn't exist." Many eat it up that lie faster than Eve ate the fruit from the tree of Knowledge.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #18

Post by Elijah John »

Tcg wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Spouses who are abused by their mates ask the same kind of questions. Denial is a strong force.

When viewed from the outside, the excuses for the habitual violence fade into meaninglessness. Those who depend on the violent offender for some sort of emotional support, no matter how demented, ignore the reality of the violence committed.

Tcg
Who are you saying is in denial? Careful here. Who are you comparing to the abused making excuses? Believers? I doubt the average believer thinks of themselves as abused.

Your missing the point of the OP. Do you love God? Do you believe the "rumors" said against Him in the Bible? The OP is suggesting that God is not the abuser, but people are lying about him in the Bible, and wondering why anyone would believe the Bible calumny waged against YHVH in the Bible, especially those who purport to love Him.

-YHVH is LORD

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 18 by Elijah John]
The OP is suggesting that God is not the abuser, but people are lying about him in the Bible, and wondering why anyone would believe the Bible calumny waged against YHVH in the Bible, especially those who purport to love Him.
What lying?; what abuse?; what calumny?

Which specific persons, in the Bible, are you referring to?

Grace and peace to you.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #20

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 7 by Tcg]

Did you notice that God says that the "slaves" must be treated well?

Servitude was not like the ruthless treatment of slaves in our day.